Question for reformed smokers

Options
In my journey for better health I am also taking on quitting smoking. I am doing ok so far with a middle strength patch and I smoke 1 ciggarette a day before bed and even that is starting to taste nasty and make my nose hurt. It is still a struggle and I feel like I smell nicotene all day and it makes me salvitate in lust.

I have great mfp friends who have shared that they are quitters and 'feel' better but I feel like I need details to keep me motivated. If you quit what are specific things about your life or health that you feel improved. I have a little list of things like not stinking, not ruining events or time with friends to sneak off and smoke, lowering my blood pressure, running a 5k etc but besides the obvious stuff what keeps you from wanting to become a smoker again?

Thanks in advance for sharing :flowerforyou:

Replies

• alohagirl81
    Options
    Hi! I quit smoking January 1st this past year and it was a battle but I have never felt better in my life. I smoked a pack a day for 15 years and was really getting fearful of the damage I was doing to myself. I was getting at least 6 bronchial infections a year, which required me to be on steriods, inhalers, etc. It has been almost a year since I've quit and have only had 2 small colds this year. So that right there is a major reward for me. Also- my son has also stopped having asthma problems. I never smoked around him- but I truely believe the chemicals and smell left on me after I smoked was making him sick. Being healthy for him is the biggest reward that keeps me from going back. Good luck and hope you can find that one thing that keeps you from going back!
  • pwnderosa
    pwnderosa Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Good for you Melanie!! You are doing the right thing, thinking about all the benefits that await you. I too dropped down to 1-2 cigarettes a day for about a week - 10 days before giving them up entirely, after awhile I felt like smoking just 1 cigarette and having to think about it/be eager to get to it was like torture and I actually felt better smoking 0 a day than I did smoking 1! Crazy!! LOL

Big benefits for me were: huge time & money savings, healthier teeth & gums (been having some dental issues the past few years that were getting too painful and expensive), smelling good - got myself lots of scented lotions and mini perfumes when I quit so I could enjoy my new better sense of smell, cardio exercise is MUCH easier, not having to sneak out of parties or dinners or rush out of the movie theater the instant the credits start, etc. :)

The biggest thing was the feeling of confidence, once I quit smoking I felt like I could tackle almost any challenge! Like joining MFP to work on the weight thing. =)
  • d_Mode
    d_Mode Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    One of the main things that keeps me from becoming a smoker again is the COST! It's like...hmmmm, spend $150-$200 bucks a month killing myself...or use that extra cash taking my wife out and do something fun with her and our son.
  • Rachielous
    Rachielous Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    One of the main things that keeps me from becoming a smoker again is the COST! It's like...hmmmm, spend $150-$200 bucks a month killing myself...or use that extra cash taking my wife out and do something fun with her and our son.

I love everything about this.
  • briant560
    Options
    Hi there, I quit about a month and a half ago. I smoked for 20 years and never thought I would be able to quit. I never recommend pills but I can't recommend Chantix enough. I took it for a month but pretty much quit smoking after the 2nd week. I didn't experience any of the side effects and I don't even think about cigarettes at all. I never dreamed that was possible. When I have a drink with alcohol in it I have a small craving but it is easily controlled. When people smoke around me it smells disgusting and when people come in from outside after having a smoke I can smell it on them and it smells so repulsive. I can't believe I used to smell like that. If you are serious about quitting get a prescription for Chantix. You won't be disappointed.
  • carriempls
    carriempls Posts: 326 Member
    Options

The biggest thing was the feeling of confidence, once I quit smoking I felt like I could tackle almost any challenge! Like joining MFP to work on the weight thing. =)

This right here was the biggest unexpected consequence I had as well. Once I quit, and quit for real, really knew I had done it, I wondered what else I might be able to do that I never thoght I could. It's what inspired me to take up running. I started eating better and lost 50 pounds. I ended up running a 10 mile race. I bought a condo for myself too. Quitting smoking for me really was the catalyst for getting a LOT of things in my life in order.
  • carriempls
    carriempls Posts: 326 Member
    Options

This right here was the biggest unexpected consequence I had as well. Once I quit, and quit for real, really knew I had done it, I wondered what else I might be able to do that I never thoght I could. It's what inspired me to take up running. I started eating better and lost 50 pounds. I ended up running a 10 mile race. I bought a condo for myself too. Quitting smoking for me really was the catalyst for getting a LOT of things in my life in order.

I should add, it's been over 4 years ago now that I quit. I don't miss it one bit.
  • sweebum
    sweebum Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    I quit cold turkey. I reminded myself that after 3 days, the physical addiction was gone and the rest is mental. I could handle my own head :laugh:

- The smell of smoke now makes me sick and gives me headaches
    - I smell so clean now
    - I got my sense of smell back, and realized that I could taste and smell things I hadn't before.
    - My blood pressure went down 10 points
    - I didn't have to clear my throat constantly (it always felt like there was goop in it)
    - I save a ton of money
    - I don't get shameful stares
    - My kids don't remember me being a smoker
    - I have so much time for other things
    - I don't have to run to the store at midnight because I don't have enough cigs for a morning smoke

It's worth it. I promise. Get past those 3 days and get on with your life. Soon you won't remember being a smoker.:flowerforyou:
  • d_Mode
    d_Mode Posts: 880 Member
    Options

I love everything about this.

Thanks!
  • tipadoo
    tipadoo Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I also recommend Chantix. As a 30 year smoker who thought I would never quit smoking, it worked really well for me. I stayed on it for 6 months, but probably could have quit taking it sooner (loved the dreams and slept like a rock!). Besides the extra money, the best thing about not smoking is how good you feel. Both for what you've accomplished and physically.
  • Melaniec78
    Melaniec78 Posts: 259 Member
    Options

I should add, it's been over 4 years ago now that I quit. I don't miss it one bit.

LOVE THIS! Especially since weight gain is always associated with quitting and I signed up for my first 5k ever and it is in less than a month :heart:
  • StrawberryThief
    Options
    I know this isn't quite what you're after, but my dad died of lung cancer caused by smoking. Believe me when I say it means the world to the people who love you!
  • BlackKat75
    BlackKat75 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I quit cold turkey, and I found that it definitely became a lot easier after the first 3 weeks, so you really just have to keep up during that time. I agree with the poster above who found that 0 a day is actually easier than 1 a day because I think you keep focused on the idea of that one cigarette. Plus, you're still a "smoker" if you're planning on having that 1 cigarette a day.

I don't know if it'll motivate you or not, but something that helped keep me on my path was seeing what continuing smoking has done to my aunt. She's 76 and after a lifetime of smoking, she has COPD and literally cannot walk up a flight of stairs. She has to take a break halfway up the stairs to her house. She can barely go to the grocery store and has such a limited life now. No going shopping, or to the movies, or even stepping out for a walk. In contrast, my mother, who's 74, just went to Thailand with me for a two-week trip and was able to walk around and see all the sights.

Good luck and keep at it. You can do it!!!
  • hugsee
    hugsee Posts: 36
    Options
    I quit smoking a long time ago cold turkey from around 50 a day....I too never thought I could do it.

Subsequently breathing is a lot better, can run up a flight of stairs, No freezing my butt off cos I have to smoke outside, food tastes better but most of all the cost more pennies for me now the choice is just paying the bills
  • PibblesRun
    PibblesRun Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Thanks SOOO much for posting this! I too have been wanting to quit. I actually just tried (again) and failed (again) a few days ago. made it a day...

Now im going to try one more time and hopefully this will be MY time to make it! Is there anyone who quit and NOT gained any weight from quitting? Thats my biggest fear...because i need to lose weight!

You only gain from eating more to replace the smoking right? So if I dont eat any more than usual I shouldnt gain?
  • blissfulself
    blissfulself Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    proud of you for deciding to quit! things that i enjoy since quitting:

- not feeling like a slave anymore (i.e. having to leave fun things to smoke, going out in the cold, getting up from bed to smoke, etc)
    - not getting irritable/being *****y to people when i'm in a situation where i can't smoke for awhile (i would get like this at holidays)
    - not getting all wet/cold when driving and having to roll down my window to smoke
    - not smelling terrible - buy myself really nice perfume and lotion now
    - not having that nagging/awful feeling in the back of my head at all times about knowing i am doing something thats killing me
    - not having to immediately change the channel or conversation when non-smoking ads/discussion come up
    - save SO much time, i would smoke in the morning when i woke up, then after shower with coffee, etc. so saves lots of time
    - no more feeling ashamed/higher self-esteem
    - don't worry/get anxiety about being in places i can't smoke anymore
    - think its healthier for my kitties...i used to smoke in the house when it was cold :( feel so bad about this
    - not planning my day around whether i have enough cigarrettes (i.e. i know i'm late for work but i won't have time to stop before class so i have to go now)

i know you can do this!!
  • blissfulself
    blissfulself Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    also - i quit 4 months ago. i started MFP (this time haha) a week or two before i quit in August. I didn't gain any weight from quitting- I've lost 20 pounds in those 4 months (lost the other 11 before MFP). I still worked out when I smoked, but it has gotten SOO much easier and I can now run without stopping on the treadmill
  • newjourney2015
    newjourney2015 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I smoked for 24 years. I tried everything to quit, even Chantix. Nothing worked because I felt like I had lost my "best friend." Crazy right?! More like my worst enemy! What worked for me was an electronic cigarette. I started with a cartridge that had nicotine and weened myself down to zero nicotine cartridges. I had that something to fiddle with. I think everyone is different and different techniques work differently for everybody. If quitting smoking is really what you want, you will find the will and way to make it happen. I have been cigarette free since March 25, 2012, and E-Cig free since since August 15, 2012. Now it's like I have always been a non-smoker. I can't stand the smell of it. I can smell it on people in the grocery store and think, OMG, that used to be me! When I see someone with a cigarette, it doens't make me want one, it repulses me! Makes me wonder how I ever smoked. I truely wish you best in quitting! I think this IS the one time we can all cheer on the "quitters!"
  • eatinghappy
    eatinghappy Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    but besides the obvious stuff what keeps you from wanting to become a smoker again?

Hi! Congratulations on your quitting smoking journey!! That is F-A-B-U-L-O-U-S...

Oh my, oh my, how many times I have craved a cigarette to ease my day-to-day struggles. One time I even (after a few glasses of wine) asked my smoking friend to leave a cigarette behind "just in case" (thank God I did not cave!)

My main reason for not EVER wanting to be a SMOKER again is because it is such an addiction. For example if I suffice my craving with that cigarette to stop the stress in my life what will stop me from having another craving and then another cigarette? It is a mindless, endless circle. If I bought a pack, and smoked one cigarette they would LITERALLY call me from my purse and I would start all over again.

In February I will have my 9th Non-Smoking birthday! If you want more advice, please let me know I am happy to share. Keep it up you are soooooo worth it !! :flowerforyou:
    tlc
  • Melaniec78
    Melaniec78 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Thanks SOOO much for posting this! I too have been wanting to quit. I actually just tried (again) and failed (again) a few days ago. made it a day...

Now im going to try one more time and hopefully this will be MY time to make it! Is there anyone who quit and NOT gained any weight from quitting? Thats my biggest fear...because i need to lose weight!

You only gain from eating more to replace the smoking right? So if I dont eat any more than usual I shouldnt gain?

I have been using patches and don't get any physical cravings just the mental ones. How to fill in the gap of time when I normally smoke etc. I have found as long as I am logging my food and trying to stay positive (ie this is a good thing, theres plenty of non smokers in the world that aren't bored because they dont smoke etc) I don't feel a need to replace the cigg with food. As a last resort when I really want one I chew a piece of sugar free gum but try to avoid it because I find that gets my digestion going and makes me feel hungry.
    Good luck I hope you can quit too!!!