My mind and body are NOT working together

Options
Been out of commotion for the last week with shingles, but been up and down with Lyme disease for the last 4 years. I was just starting to feel really good. I had started 30 day shred( got to day 7) and wanted to add couch 2 5k ( did 2 days) My knees started to hurt so bad, and fatigue and other pains show up:frown: Then shingles- I would describe as ... a really bad hangover, with pink eye, and ear infection, and the feeling of road rash on the left side of my face and scalp.
So anyway , I have spent the last two years on the couch after being derailed like this in the past. I so don't want to be on the couch! My mind says I can do this!!!! my body keeps talking back:angry: I realize I may need to change what I do for exercise,but it is depressing to finely want to do this , and not be able to !!!

So any motivational comments are very welcome.:heart:

Thanks,
Kerrie

Replies

• superkel317
    Options
    I'm so sorry to hear you've been going through all that! I've had my own issues off & on (nothing like yours, but issues nonetheless), & all I can say is to keep moving. You may not be able to move like you want, but there's things you can do. Don't let it get you down! Maybe try brisk walking. There's even workouts you can do while seated. And as long as you keep your diet in check, even if you can't move a lot, you can still lose the weight. ((Hugs))
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    This is between you and your body, your mind has jack to do with it.

tumblr_mchblcRnWv1qke924o1_500.png
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    If you don't want to be on the couch, then don't.

Your body is going to hurt. You have to get over it and deal with it. Otherwise, you really don't want it as bad as you think.
  • _crafty_
    _crafty_ Posts: 1,682 Member
    Options
    out of *commission
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
  • lewcompton
    lewcompton Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Pain is often too much to get past... Five herniated discs did it for me years ago so I understand... Sit and Be FIt on PBS may be an answer... Swimming... yoga on the floor... watch the food intake and do the best you can. Losing a pound in a month is a success... it beats gaining.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    Not sure if this will be helpful or not but I have learned that you can "trick" yourself into working out. Often times I will say to myself "I'm just gonna walk for 15 minutes" and it ends up being a nice 60 minutes of fast paces walk and some good 3-4 sets of my calisthenics. Its the first step thats the hardest and once you get a start, you just keep on going.

I bid you good luck in your adventures. Remembers, nobody can give you the motivation. It is YOU who should want it bad enough for yourself
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    Pain is often too much to get past... Five herniated discs did it for me years ago so I understand... Sit and Be FIt on PBS may be an answer... Swimming... yoga on the floor... watch the food intake and do the best you can. Losing a pound in a month is a success... it beats gaining.

I BROKE my whole freaking body and spent 4 years in PT - getting stronger has been the only way to escape the pain and even that sometimes gets through my wall of defense. But when I wasnt moving, using the machine i was given at birth, keeping my joints moving, my muscles working, my tendons and ligaments and vital organs all being pushed to be stronger and more efficient.....when I wasnt- and I was stagnant - everything hurt. Everything got more and more solidified in that uncomfortable BS condition too.

The more you move, the more you throw yourself into your workouts and your second coming.... the better you will feel and the better your life will be. I sht you not.
  • prokomds
    prokomds Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Wow, lots of extreme advice here... I don't think my mind is strong enough to cure shingles, but maybe that's just me

I have a friend who had some knee surgery done - there was lots of damage to his cartilage from years of activities that strain the knees. If you're having knee pain, the obvious thing is to see a doctor. The biggest parts of my friend's physical therapy, though, were sitting on the stationary bike, doing leg strength exercises such as the leg press, and lots of stretching. He had to strengthen his leg muscles to take pressure off the knees. Maybe that's relevant for you?

There's a big difference between HURTING and ACHING. I'm sorry, I'm not doing exercises that hurt. There are lots of lower-impact things you could start with, and you could increase the intensity as you get comfortable with things. Swimming and walking are good options, as is yoga (slow, and you only go as deep into the moves as is reasonable for you). The 30DS moves such as jumping jacks, jumping rope, etc, can be too high impact if you have issues with your joints. Don't mess around with your knees, you need them :)
  • funfactoryfacepainting
    Options
    OK , were do I start? Lyme is NOT just a little rash and you take thirty days of Rx and you are cured! ( well for the most part) It is a disease with major political and medical controversy. So I started out doing what ever I could do to get better, meaning spending all of my money going to lyme Dr. (doesn't take insurance) IV drugs, homeopathic therapy , and so on. Two an a half years later I feel worse, lost my job, so I stopped treatment. I started to feel better, but some things stuck around like brain fog, fatigue,off and on depression, and some pain. Now it has taken me a bit to write this and I have forgotten were I was going :grumble:

1. I am a terrible speller , I can't type, and have a very had time getting the thoughts out of my head. SO please forgive my typos and such.

2. this is the first new topic I have posted, I was just venting my frustrations , and looking for some positive support ( thank to those that gave that:heart: )

3.maybe I should have headed the topic - my body is derailing my mind (or motivation ) I have been going strong for about 2 months. Tracking my food ,eating healthier food , drinking water. I have lost 17 pounds of the 40 I want to loose. Now that I have been sick with shingles I have not been able to get back to tracking.

4.When i say pain is stopping me from exercise, I DO NOT mean muscle aches from working out( I want that - it feels like progress to me) . I am so frustrated because this time I started out slow and now I am at a standstill cuase of pain:angry: As I think I said in my original post , I am not giving up ,but I am not going to do something that is going to ruin my knees- then I would need that hover-round full time :sad:

If you have any helpful tips for exercising with bad knees- like how to make walking not boring- that would be fab.

I was hoping to run a 5k with my son in June, will still try:drinker:
  • korsicash
    korsicash Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Have you tried horse back riding or simply walking?
  • Melo1966
    Melo1966 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    When my knees or back hurt to much for jogging I just walk short distances twice a day. Good luck you can do this. Supplements have helped as well.
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    This is between you and your body, your mind has jack to do with it.

tumblr_mchblcRnWv1qke924o1_500.png

^^^ i have to agree with this. if you look for excuses, you'll always find excuses.

just do it! if you want it bad enough, you will not let any excuse stop you.
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    If you have any helpful tips for exercising with bad knees- like how to make walking not boring- that would be fab.

walk during the day. enjoy the scenery. clear your mind. what's boring about that?

put on knee braces or wrap your knees with Ace bandages for support. take a pain reliever if you can to prevent them from being sore while walking. if you want it enough, you'll find a way to do it.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    If the c25k hurt your knees, maybe start off just walking for a bit. Unfortunately I have no ideas for making it less boring. If you have a treadmill (or a gym), you can read or watch tv while walking.

I can't recall if you were doing 30 day shred & c25k at the same time, maybe try doing just one for awhile. It seems like maybe your knee wants you to go slower.

If you really want to do a 5K, find one that allows people to walk. There is no shame in walking a 5K.

I read recently about chair yoga. Supposedly a great way to start yoga if you can't do all the moves for whatever reason. I would suggest looking into some lower impact exercises like this.

If the knee pain continues or gets worse, definitely go see a doctor. Or maybe see one anyway just to see what they say/recommend.
  • funfactoryfacepainting
    Options
    P.S. I really do wish I was in control of how I feel. I try to be as positive as possible.
  • reddi2roll
    reddi2roll Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Lyme Disease has a lot of joint effects so it is no wonder you are having issues with you knees. I am sure you know what meds are effective for the pain but even with the meds you do not always get relief. Try something that does not require so much weight bearing. Bike riding is especially knee sparing so you might try that. Others have suggested water aerobics which I would also recommend if you have access to a pool. If you can't ride outside consider a stationary bike.
    Shingles is also very painful and the pain usually is aggravated by anything touching the area like your hair, clothing etc. I would ask your doctor what you can use to control that pain but at least that is not forever.
    It is not always a good idea to push through chronic joint pain as that may just make it worse so again, I would recommend some joint sparing exercises. Good luck.
  • phoenixgirl81
    phoenixgirl81 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I have rheumatoid arthritis. It's an autoimmune disease and an invisible one that is often misunderstood, just like Lyme disease. The fatigue is excruciating. I get it. Those people who say "if you're not exercising in pain you don't want it bad enough" can just get knotted.

Things that I found helpful getting moving:

* aquaerobics - water calisthenics - you can get a brilliant workout without the impact on the joints. You can even look for a class run by arthritis foundations or anything like that to workout with other people in the same predicament.

* exercise bike - my doctor gave me permission to just start with 10 minutes at a time. I built up the time as I felt able and I worked out on that a couple of times a day. There were days when all I could do was the lightest setting, pedalling so slowly I thought it was nearly pointless, but I was still moving and that was the point.

* walking - music makes it better. Also, I have found taking my mobile phone and playing games on it while I walk is also a way to kill the boredom (same thing with a book - make sure it's sturdy ground - not so good for bush walking). You could also drive to different locations to go walking, set yourself a goal to beat the time you did a circuit last time, or give yourself a purpose (I make myself walk up the road to buy fruit and vegetables for the day - 12 minutes there and 12 minutes back)

* swimming laps - it takes me 2 minutes to swim 50 metres in my local pool, and we have to share lanes sometimes, but it's a great low impact workout which works your whole body (including your abs)

I hope that some of these give you some ideas. There are still days when making it out the front door is hard because I struggle to get down the 4 steps there, but there are more good days now. I'm up to c25k wk 6 run 3 and am going to run/walk my first 5k event this Sunday.