too much protein?

can you have too much protein? i mean its meant to be good isnt it?

i had a big red -14 on my protein column at the end of today (thanks to those who suggested i had something protein-filled with my left over calories!! :grumble: ) - still 240 ish under btw :ohwell:

what the devil are the consequences of this?

will i be at the firey gates of hell 14 years earlier than wence i would have been if i had stuck to mfp recommendations??

i realise its perfectly possible to google something like this, but my response to that remark will always be "where's the fun?"

so come on, lets have it - what happens if you eat too much protein?

Replies

• sgv0918
    sgv0918 Posts: 851 Member
    Call me crazy but I don't give too much crap about the numbers except calories. I still look for curiosity but don't get hyped about it. The way I figure the more protein, iron etc I get the better. My body will take what it needs and flush the rest.
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Absolutely nothing. MFP's default recommendations for protein are a floor, not a ceiling.

Some people are likely going to post "studies" that have shown excess protein consumption can lead to kidney disease and/or osteoporosis. These "studies" have been debunked several times. Don't believe them.

The best recommendation is to get 1 gram of protein per pound of lean body mass.

I've had days where I've hit 200 grams......I'm still alive and kicking.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Shoot for double MFP's recommendations
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Shoot for double MFP's recommendations
    ^This guy knows his stuff.

That is, when he's being serious. He's being serious in this instance, though, so listen to him.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    As long as you aren't eating 500g of protein in one sitting, don't worry about it. I usually eat 200-250g a day which is a bit overkill. Even when bulking you only need 1 - 1.25g per lb of LBM per day. *shrug*
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    can you have too much protein? i mean its meant to be good isnt it?

what the devil are the consequences of this?

will i be at the firey gates of hell 14 years earlier than wence i would have been if i had stuck to mfp recommendations??

so come on, lets have it - what happens if you eat too much protein?

http://bit.ly/Tmhst9

Your welcome :drinker:
  • calderhayes
    calderhayes Posts: 2 Member
    A bodybuilding standard is 1g of protein for every 1lb of your total body weight.
    Source:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=133163973
  • so basically max out on protein (within reason)... i like it!
  • Source Medicine.net

Too Much Protein

So think twice when you consider sacrificing the carbohydrates for a protein-dominant diet, Butterfield says. Drastically cutting carbohydrates from your diet may force your body to fight back.

She says that's because a diet in which protein makes up more than 30% of your caloric intake causes a buildup of toxic ketones. So-called ketogenic diets can thrust your kidneys into overdrive in order to flush these ketones from your body. As your kidneys rid your body of these toxic ketones, you can lose a significant amount of water, which puts you at risk of dehydration, particularly if you exercise heavily.

That water loss often shows up on the scale as weight loss. But along with losing water, you lose muscle mass and bone calcium. The dehydration also strains your kidneys and puts stress on your heart.

And dehydration from a ketogenic diet can make you feel weak and dizzy, give you bad breath, or lead to other problems.
  • takumaku
    takumaku Posts: 352 Member
    Yes, though subjective to interpretation. It depends on what your overall goals are (long distance runner, sprinter, body building) and if you have any medical conditions.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Source Medicine.net

Too Much Protein

So think twice when you consider sacrificing the carbohydrates for a protein-dominant diet, Butterfield says. Drastically cutting carbohydrates from your diet may force your body to fight back.

She says that's because a diet in which protein makes up more than 30% of your caloric intake causes a buildup of toxic ketones. So-called ketogenic diets can thrust your kidneys into overdrive in order to flush these ketones from your body. As your kidneys rid your body of these toxic ketones, you can lose a significant amount of water, which puts you at risk of dehydration, particularly if you exercise heavily.

That water loss often shows up on the scale as weight loss. But along with losing water, you lose muscle mass and bone calcium. The dehydration also strains your kidneys and puts stress on your heart.

And dehydration from a ketogenic diet can make you feel weak and dizzy, give you bad breath, or lead to other problems.

This has nothing to do with the OP.
  • axialmeow
    axialmeow Posts: 382 Member
    The default number for protein on here is set pretty low in my opinion.
  • almonds1
    almonds1 Posts: 642 Member
    A bodybuilding standard is 1g of protein for every 1lb of your total body weight.
    Source:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=133163973

Forum post within a forum post , love it lol...

1-1.5 lbs is what I roll
  • ilovescarymovies
    ilovescarymovies Posts: 202 Member
    i go over on my protein every day and im fine. :)
  • If you go to the Goal page, you can customize the settings. I did, to make them more in line with the recommendations of my doctors and nutritionist.