Women and Protein..Cause Fat?

Options
i just read in the archives that women shouldn't go over 30 grams of protein in a day or it would most likely turn to fat???? is this true?

Replies

• iamalexa
    iamalexa Posts: 53
    Options
    Oh gosh. In that case im doomed!!
  • bebhinn
    bebhinn Posts: 198
    Options
    i haven't had that issue at all!!
  • JeniF1979
    JeniF1979 Posts: 18
    Options
    I have gone over every day except for maybe one or two and I lost weight, so I don't think that is necessarily true. There are a lot of diets that are based on high protein and they produce weight loss results.

That's JMO though.
  • eliblish
    eliblish Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Well, I usually have close to 100 grams a day so I hope not!! lol
  • imagymrat
    imagymrat Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    <<<<had 92g of protein, not looking like it's turning to fat! lol! It really depends on you activity level, i'm a gym junkie hours on end, 30g would not be nearly enough!
  • AJCM
    AJCM Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    The body does not store protein the way it stores fats and carbohydrates, but I am not sure what happens to it / where it goes / what it converts to?????

My nutitionist recommends that I eat no more than 15 grams per meal, as the body cannot use any more than that. I usually just do half a protein shake instead of a whole one, and I aim for 45 grams per day as a maximum. Remember that grains, dairy, etc give you protein, and I usually get 15-20 grams a day from non-protein (or non traditional protein) sources.

:)
  • mvl1014
    mvl1014 Posts: 531
    Options
    The body does not store protein the way it stores fats and carbohydrates, but I am not sure what happens to it / where it goes / what it converts to?????...

Protein is used in cellular function, metabolism (enzymes), immune responses and for building of muscle, hair, and nails. Every cell in the body uses protein to express it's genes. So if you have brown eyes, it's because protein made it that way. Feel free to read up on molecular biology if you're bored. lol

Protein doesn't cause fat!
  • MattDustin
    MattDustin Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Like everyone else said, it definitely doesn't cause fat. Right now I am a cutting diet/workout program to get lean for the summer, and I am taking more protein then ever... between shakes and lean meat I usually get about 160g per day, and the fat is melting right off!

Protein takes your body longer to break down and digest, so it keeps you fuller longer... definitely what you want if you are trying to lose weight. Eating some sort of protein with every meal keeps you full, so you won't be as tempted to snack on junk food. As long as you aren't going over in calories, it won't make you fat. I would think keeping calories the same and increasing protein while decreasing carbs/fat would only help you lose weight, that's been working for me so far, and always has.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Definitely not bad to go over on your protein. When I was looking to lose a lot of weight for the first time... I would put about 1/4 chicken breast in my eggs, eat a whole breast for lunch and another for dinner or a steak. DEFINITELY a lot of protein, more than I eat now, and I lost weight very easily.
  • dkcj4fox
    dkcj4fox Posts: 35
    Options
    The body does not store protein the way it stores fats and carbohydrates, but I am not sure what happens to it / where it goes / what it converts to?????

My nutitionist recommends that I eat no more than 15 grams per meal, as the body cannot use any more than that. I usually just do half a protein shake instead of a whole one, and I aim for 45 grams per day as a maximum. Remember that grains, dairy, etc give you protein, and I usually get 15-20 grams a day from non-protein (or non traditional protein) sources.

Time to find a new nutritionist. 15 grams per meal is not true!!!
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    So first, how much protein you need is completely dependent on you as a person. This includes your age, your sex, your genetics, your activity level, and your lean muscle mass (along with about a million other little chemical transactions happening in your body).

That being said, the amount of protein a person needs as a minimum requirement for basic health for a lightly active adult is between 15% and 20% of your total daily caloric needs (at maintenance), it is ok to have more protein as the body will use protein much the same way as it will use carbohydrates in the absence of other, more readily available energy sources, but that's not what the body really "likes" to use and it will do all it can to not use protein.

If there is a choice between carbohydrates and proteins, the body will always choose the path of least resistance, which means the extra protein (protein that isn't used for it's main function) will be more likely be broken down into it's component carbon chains and converted into lipids (fat) and stored.

FYI, fats follow similar rules although their uses are different.

In any case, the body will always try to use carbohydrates first as the process required to make glucose (the sugar the body uses) is shorter for carbohydrates than it is for either fat or protein.
  • dkcj4fox
    Options

If there is a choice between carbohydrates and proteins, the body will always choose the path of least resistance, which means the extra protein (protein that isn't used for it's main function) will be more likely be broken down into it's component carbon chains and converted into lipids (fat) and stored.

I agree not all of the protein will actually be used in protein synthesis (building muscle), but I believe the first step would be using it as an energy source by oxidizing it (not converting to lipids and storing it as fat.)

edit: ok, I see where you mentioned converting to energy first.
  • AJCM
    Options

Time to find a new nutritionist. 15 grams per meal is not true!!!

I respectfully disagree! My "nutritionist" is also a medical doctor, who specializes in weightloss / wellness, and she's excellent. She recommends 15 grams, FOR ME - for my weight, my height, and my nutritional needs.

She also believes strongly about the evils of dairy, and soy, etc, and I know not everyone agrees on those issues either. Lots of opinions out there, and there is no one perfect solution.

Everyone has to what is right for them, with quality information, and varied sources.

On a side note.... BANKS! Nice to see you are still around, and you are still looking well and fit!
  • dkcj4fox
    Options
    Fine, But the statement "15 grams per meal, as the body cannot use any more than that." is NOT a true statement.

The body can use more and does.
  • Connie48
    Connie48 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    too many calories causes fat
  • Chiny
    Chiny Posts: 321
    Options
    From what I have read the body can't process 25-30g per sitting. Another rule I've read is 1 gram per pound of bodyweight. I weigh 110lbs divided by 5 meals = 22g per pound of bodyweight
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    Guys, there is no reasonable amount of protein that you can put out there that will be right, or wrong. AJ clarified that when she replied about how her doctor gave her 15 grams FOR HER.

for me, maybe 25 grams per serving is perfect, but for another guy who looks identical to me, maybe 35 grams is right, and for someone else, maybe 20 grams is right.

Why? Because our genetics determine much of how much protein our bodies use, that and our lifestyle choices. So please, lay off the static numbers for protein, even percentages are wishy washy. All it does is confuse those on MFP that aren't sure.

CAN the body use more protein than we technically need? YES, we can, and in some cases we NEED more, but in other cases it's of no use, and in yet other cases (rare cases), extra protein can damage the kidneys and liver. It's all about you as an individual. The BEST thing you can do is go by the generic guidelines, then as you become more familiar with your body, tweak by small amounts, see how that works for you, and tweak again as you go. Since WE are the best coach for how our body feels, you can follow the best advice in the world but it's still going to be secondary to high quality observation and deductive reasoning.
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    Oh and thanks AJ! You ain't looking to bad yourself (although that pic is a few months old now, I'm a little bigger in the chest than I was then).:flowerforyou:
  • AJCM
    Options
    Oh and thanks AJ! You ain't looking to bad yourself (although that pic is a few months old now, I'm a little bigger in the chest than I was then).:flowerforyou:

Thanks! You gotta post a new pic Banks! I am going to take a new pic of "Day 1 - P90X" tonight! Have you done P90X?
  • dkcj4fox
    Options
    Guys, there is no reasonable amount of protein that you can put out there that will be right, or wrong. AJ clarified that when she replied about how her doctor gave her 15 grams FOR HER.

I agree 100%, I know the 15g were recommended for her but when she said the REASON behind the 15g was the body can not use more than that is where I have the problem. I didn't want people thinking they should only take in 15g of protein with each meal.