Support from breadtfeeding moms

Options
Hi! I'm just looking for some friends that are trying to lose weight while nursing. I would love to hear some success stories of women that have balanced weight loss and nursing in a healthy way. Any help or tricks to get through the crazy days with kids that make you just want to order a pizza? Thanks!!

Edit -totally misspelled breastfeeding.

Replies

• tabbykat6802
    tabbykat6802 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I would love to help you out. I am on the weaning stage w/ my 3 yr old, but can give you a few tips. Some of them will probably be something you've already heard, so sorry if i repeat.

* eat between 1500-1800 cals/day(depending on how often you are nursing/age of baby)
    *keep hydrated
    * try to eat on the healthy side(I know that sometimes hunger cravings can be strong)
    *don't over do it on the exercise. your milk production will suffer
    * get some sleep(I know that it is hard sometimes)

A great website is : kellymom.com. It is full of BF answers/tips.

This is my first successful breastfeeding child. Bad advice from drs lead me to believe that I would not be able to continue w/ my older two boys.

I am here for you any time.
  • amurphy198
    Options
    I would love to help you out. I am on the weaning stage w/ my 3 yr old, but can give you a few tips. Some of them will probably be something you've already heard, so sorry if i repeat.

* eat between 1500-1800 cals/day(depending on how often you are nursing/age of baby)
    *keep hydrated
    * try to eat on the healthy side(I know that sometimes hunger cravings can be strong)
    *don't over do it on the exercise. your milk production will suffer
    * get some sleep(I know that it is hard sometimes)

A great website is : kellymom.com. It is full of BF answers/tips.

This is my first successful breastfeeding child. Bad advice from drs lead me to believe that I would not be able to continue w/ my older two boys.

I am here for you any time.
  • amurphy198
    Options
    Thanks! I got pregnant with my 3rd while my 2nd was only 5 months, so I never really lost all the baby weight. I'm always hungry nursing my daughter and I'm actually back to my 9 months pregnant weight from all the over eating. I had tried dieting once before, but it was too extreme and my milk supply suffered. I have been avoiding dieting with nursing as an excuse, but I know I can do it if I just lose weight slowly and stay healthy.
  • amurphy198
    Options
    Those are fantastic Halloween costumes!!
  • tabbykat6802
    tabbykat6802 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    the costumes were outrageous to make! well, the older 2. lol. I was surprised just how many people knew who they were! netflix rules! lol

on the food thing, just make a better effort to get less junk. Believe me, it is still hard for me.

do you have any q's?

sending you a friend request.
  • kah78
    kah78 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Losing weight while nursing? Right there with ya!I"m currently nursing #2 boy (5 months old) and trying to find "balance" with what I eat...and make the most of the extra calories I get because of it. Good advice tabbykat! It is hard to overcome the emotional eating though when I feel so sleep-deprived!
  • amurphy198
    Options
    Yes! The random food I grab when I'm tired is ridiculous. If its 2am and its just me and the baby awake...Well, my sons Halloween candy is fair game. Spoonfuls of peanut butter because I forgot to eat breakfast? Why not!?
    Yeah, and I wonder why I'm big. So, do y'all add in the extra calories to account for nursing each day?
  • eyoung230
    eyoung230 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

I am breastfeeding my six month old and have been making an effort to lose baby weight since she was about six weeks old. I do struggle with the mid afternoon tiredness munchies and need to have my chocolate fix, I find that I eat sugar when I don't have the opportunity to nap as I also have a three year old.

Some days or weeks I am pretty good and then other times I fall off the wagon, and the weight drops in spits and spats, but on average I am losing a pound a week. I started with WW then went down the route of finding out about Paleo, did that for a while then was ezting too many treats, so did Whole30 but it was only a whole7 lol and that boosted my weight loss after getting complacent with my diet, etc etc. Now I have increased my exercise as I have lost over a stone and have a bit more energy and I am also increasing carbs but now tracking my calories in and out.

Basically none of this has had any impact on my milk supply. I recently have been trained up as a breastfeeding peer supporter and would add that the Kellymom website is mostly excellent but the info on it about diet and the 1800 calorie thing is actually inaccurate and is not backed up by research. Supply can be kept up by feeding baby lots and lots, diet should not have much effect on quality of milk but only thing is if diet is not great or very low calorie then the mum will feel rubbish and tired and lacking in nutrition.

Nine months on nine months off I think! Mind you for me it was 3 stone on not including baby!

Take care :)
  • Chriscadia
    Chriscadia Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Nursing mom here to a 3 week old. I had lost all my weight with my first by just breastfeeding but it almost took a year (55lbs). This time I want to lose it quicker. Amurphy198, I laughed when I saw that you go in your son's Halloween candy. If you were to look at my MFP diary you'd see all the Halloween candy I've also been eating.
    The things I've been doing to help me for supper is to prepare all in advance. Every Friday I make a list of the meals I want to make for the coming week. Then on Saturday I buy everything that I need to make them. I make crock pot meals that help out a lot and also prepare suppers in advance and put them in the fridge ready to go in the oven.
    My problem is take-out, my husband is so bad and knows how to press my buttons to say yes. So when the kids are in bed he'll sometimes go and get us each burgers and fries.
  • amurphy198
    Options
    I have been halfheartedly preparing meals in advance for the past month. I want to commit to it better. I could eat great for 3 or 4 days, and then have an off day with all 3 kids leaving me grumpy and in no mood to cook. So I get take out. Then the cycle starts....for the next few days after that, it's pizza, then the Chinese buffet. When I do cook, I'm all southern with it. I love butter, salt, meat.... My husband fell in love with my cooking, and he really doesn't want to get on the healthy bandwagon.
    So, how much more should I up my water intake?
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    I still give in to my cravings when the kids are in bed, I just generally hold out on having my dinner until then so that I don't go too far over my calories! Feel free to add me; my breastfeedling is going to be a year in two weeks!
  • Pepper2185
    Pepper2185 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    Breastfeeding mama here! My guy is 7 weeks old.

I gained 44 lbs and have lost 38 so far. I think breastfeeding is working for me. I eat 2000 calories per day and always have room for a bit of chocolate :)

I agree that kellymom.com is a great resource!

:)
  • amurphy198
    Options
    That is a sweet baby picture Pepper!!
  • Mewlingstork
    Mewlingstork Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I think there has been some great advice given already. But, of course, I have to add my thoughts. :)

My guy is almost 9 weeks, ebf the whole time. I gained about 33 pounds and by his second week, I had lost all but 1 pound. I try to drink tons of water, try to eat probably too little, exercise a decent amount, but its working for us at this point.

Find what works for your body and what makes you feel good. There are entries for breastfeeding and breast feeding if you search; some are -300 calories, some -500, just depends on which one you think makes the most sense. Your milk is all about supply and demand and how often the breasts are emptied. I have a bit of an oversupply, but that's OK with me. If your milk goes down, nurse more often.

I also enjoy doing things with baby. Walks mostly. There are also workouts online that include the baby and that means increased weight being used over time as your babe grows. :)

Good luck and enjoy the time with your baby!
  • hadlam83
    hadlam83 Posts: 140
    Options
    Hi All,

Awesome topic - I'm Mum to a 6 week old girl and 3 year old boy. My wee girl is being exsclusively breastfed. I started MFP before I got pregnant with her and was relatively successful. I really want to step it up now and get to my goal before my 30th next year which is in August.

I don't really have any extra advise except the usual drink lots of water, eat lots of protein and exercise regularly :)
  • natandj6
    natandj6 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hello - I'm a mum of a breastfed 8 month old and also have a 2.5 yr old. I hovered around 68kg between my pregnancies and was around that weight within a few weeks of giving birth to my youngest. Originally I started eating clean to improve the quality of my milk and noticed the weight started coming off. I'm 56kg now and very happy with the results :). My cals are set at 1400 but I am a shocker for eating the kids leftovers so realistically it's more like 1600. Need more mummy MFP friends so add me if you like. My poor boobs are wrecked after bf 2 and losing weight. My top tips would be take a good fish oil supplement with a large glass of water when you first wake up, brush your teeth after dinner to help with late night sweet temptations, eat when your hungry and stop when your not.
  • bushidowoman
    bushidowoman Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    After my last baby, I lost about 35 pounds over the course of 9 or so months, after struggling with my weight for years. I went sloooooowly...maybe 0.5 lb a week, some weeks less. I just tried to eat healthy foods in the recommended amounts--five servings of fresh fruits and veggies, enough protein (I was aiming for 1-1.5 gm per kg of bodyweight), drinking enough water every day, etc. Healthy fats for afternoon snacks helped curb my evening sweet cravings (my favorite was nut butter with apple slices! Also homemade guacamole with whole grain crackers.) And yes, I would give in to my sweet cravings, too. I found that a tbsp of dark chocolate chips when added to a handful of almonds did the trick. Or Greek yogurt with berries.
    I wound up joining MFP because some of my friends were on here. I never believed in setting strict limits for myself but rather paying attention to what I was eating while listening to my body's signals. When I started counting calories, I discovered that I felt best eating around 1600-1700 cals on rest days, and up to around 2200 cals on heavy workout days. I didn't feel hungry, deprived, or like I was on a "diet", so it was easier for me to stick with.

My main thing was getting in exercise everyday. I worked out with dumbbells in my bedroom 3x week, 20-30 minutes, using enough weight that I could only do about 10 reps. I've also been taking martial arts classes for 10 years, so I kept up with my martial arts workouts. But on the days where I couldn't get in a "real" workout, I still did SOMETHING. If the baby was fussy, I used her as my weight for squats, overhead presses, lunges through the house holding her out in front of me, etc. She loved it. And if I couldn't do anything other than jogging in place for 15 minutes or putting on music and dancing silly with the kids/holding the baby for 15 minutes, that's what I did. I found that doing my exercises first thing in the morning gave me a little shot of energy and made it easier to get through tough days.

Here in about 6 more weeks, I will once again be struggling to fit it all in while breastfeeding a baby, so feel free to add me as a friend!

Wanted to add--I second Kellymom.com. That site has excellent evidence-based articles for breastfeeding moms, including weight loss.
  • RandiLandCHANGED
    RandiLandCHANGED Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    I am currently nursing baby #3 who will be 11 months old in a few days. I took a break from MFP for a few months but I am back! I'm aiming for around 1800 calories a day and usually eat back my exercise calories. I have a BAD sweet/fat combo tooth but I'd love to add some other Mommas!

I gained 80, 85, and then 50lbs with my pregnancies, yet the last (50lb) has been the hardest to lose! I've given up on my pre-baby weight but I'd still like some abs.