Does your body become accustomed to exercise?

Options
A few years ago I took up aikido and belly dancing at the same time, for social reasons, not to lose weight, but over the next 6 months without trying, I lost 2 stone. However, over the following two years, even though I was still exercising the same amount, all the weight crept back on, and more. Of course the comfort eating didn't help, but still, I would have thought that exercising 3 times a week would have helped keep my weight in check. So now I'm eating less, and I have increased my exercise by adding a weekly spinning class. I'm worried about what happens in a few months, if either my body will become accustomed to this new level of exercise, or what happens when I scale it back down. I can't keep this up indefinitely, my home is suffering and I never see my daughter.

Replies

• FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    You can't out exercise overeating
  • SloRunner25
    SloRunner25 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I am very prone to overeating and I love to eat my feelings. I've been up and down the scale all my life, but FullOfWin is right, I've NEVER been able to out exercise overeating and believe me I've tried! It's a struggle but I'm getting used to eating smaller portions. Try using smaller plates. It helps me to eat less and feel like I've eaten more.

My exercise of choice is 30 Day Shred with Jillian Michaels. Give 20 minutes and all your strength and you'll feel accomplished and build muscle and lose weight. I did it my senior year of college to get in shape for my dance class and lost 20 pounds. I've also tried Insanity, but 30 DS is a much easier commitment since it's only 20 minutes. It uses muscle confusion so your body never becomes accustomed to the workout. I'm doing it every weekday with weekends to recover. It hurts a lot and is hard to move the next day, but if you push your body it is amazing what it does to compensate! Now I have 40 pounds to lose to get back to healthy and I am very out of shape but I'm trying to push through because it is worth it.

Hopefully that helps! Good luck with your weight loss!
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    You can't out exercise overeating

ding ding ding.

(Which is one reason I don't eat my exercise calories when I'm trying to lose weight....)
  • mgalsf12
    mgalsf12 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    My friends in the fitness industry say YES, your body becomes accustomed to exercises if you do the same workout all the time. Change it up. Go hiking, ice skating, try a group workout, dance...exercise can be fun!
  • jennibee70
    jennibee70 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    So the general concensus is that I'm in denial about my over-eating? Okaaaay - that is a possibility! That's good to know though, it means I don't have to worry if I stick to eating properly. I have added 30 Day Shred to my lovefilm list, I'll give it a try before I fork out. And I will try to think of new exercises to try. Thank you all for your advice. Even the blunt stuff!
  • ixap
    ixap Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    That's good to know though, it means I don't have to worry if I stick to eating properly.
    Yep!! I think it's mostly a myth that you will reduce the calories burned if you stay with the same exercise. I don't know if there's maybe some marginal reduction, but I can't imagine it's anything significant. I have run for years and years and I can assure you it still burns about the number of calories that the calculators claim it should, per mile. Plus, once you get better at an exercise you can do it more intensely, so in my opinion you can actually burn more by staying with one thing for a while.