Buying a home gym, advice on good ones?

Options
I want to buy a home gym around $500, I'd like it to have as many features as possible.. Cable weight, as smooth gliding as possible.. Any advice on good brands? Anyone have one they really like in my price range I can go check out at my local fitness stores?

Replies

• wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Power rack with bench and barbell, used from craiglist. BAM!
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    If you have the room to devote to a whole home gym thingie then you should go with wellbert's suggestion and get a power rack. No cables, just conventional weights, but it's the best possible solution if you want results.
  • kimcalica
    kimcalica Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    What kind of results are we talking about here? Lol.. I want to lose weight, not bench press my husband!
  • contingencyplan
    Options
    Any kind. That's the whole thing. Lifting free weights simply produces a better quality result than any mechanically assisted device because of the fact that stabilizer muscles that would normally be left out are getting involved. You think free weight training is only for powerlifters and bodybuilders? I take it you're new here... No offense.
  • kimcalica
    Options
    I have taken YMCA classes on fitness. I prefer the nautilus machines. I use free weights now.. Just dumbells.. 3's 5's and 10's, I've been having some spinal issues., I prefer some support while liftingat this point.. I should consider the fact that I have broken my neck. . If you don't have advice on the cable home gym, just ignore my post.. Thanks for your concern..
  • ubermensch13
    ubermensch13 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Translation: If you don't give me advice in the answer I'm looking for, please ignore my post.
  • kimcalica
    Options
    Yes.. I'm looking for a cable weight home gym.. Why is that so hard for you?
  • kimcalica
    Options
    Fascists
  • Alissat
    Alissat Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I just picked up a Vectra Online 1500 gym on Craigslist for only $150. It's amazing! Maybe try searching for "Vectra" on Craigslist and see what you find in your area. I did quite a bit of reading on the Vectra company and their gyms are REALLY high quality, made in the USA and feature many patented advantages like not having to swap cables around when you switch exercises...everything is all on a centralized pulley system, just select the weight you want and go. Good luck to you!!! :)
  • contingencyplan
    Options
    If you have those injuries then you would see even more benefits from doing free weight training as they would assist with recovery. Isolation training (the only training style permitted via nautilus style machines) has no actual functional benefit because while it does train individual muscles, it does nothing to train your body as a chain. If you're not doing full body movements in your resistance training, compound movements which work as much of the body as they can with a single movement, then you won't see much functional benefit. Because the human body in the real world does not work in isolation. Also, compound training strengthens bones and joints when done properly. Isolation training does not.
  • TNarvasa
    Options
    I purchased a Vectra On-Line 3800 last June and have been using it since 1/3/13. I absolutely LOVE mine! I have 3 weight stacks on my model, so my wife and I can work out the same time. I bought my model for $900.00. Worth every penny. :smile:
  • wmagoo27
    wmagoo27 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Yes.. I'm looking for a cable weight home gym.. Why is that so hard for you?

It sounds like you already have a brand that you like. Craigslist may still be an option, especially in the coming months as the resolutioners free up the spare room for storage again.

ETA: What's wrong with a good old fashioned husband-press? My wife tells me it's good for the shoulders.