AFFG Awareness, warning signs inside.

Options
There are some seriously attractive guys that have slimmed down or bulked up on here. Muscles everywhere! Bro, they actually lift! You know what I mean.

Then they go and do something that reveals them as the dreaded AFFG - the Awkward Former Fat Guy.

You can lose the weight, tone the body, and clean the diet, but it's harder still to develop social skills if you came into attractiveness late in life.

Are you an AFFG?

Do you address status updates to "Ladies~~" ?
Do you hit on girls often on MFP unsolicited?
Do you think "Girl what I'd do to you... one night in ecstasy.." is an appropriate message to send to a stranger?

Don't be CREEPY!

"But Ms. Celshade," you might be thinking, "what makes you qualified to talk about this?"

I have been sent far too many suggestive messages by guys and want to raise awareness - I can't even imagine the amount of messages girls that are actually in shape are getting.

WORK ON YOUR SOCIAL SKILLS! With real people! Don't neglect it; your body has come a long way, but it's also a journey of the mind.

Replies

• djames92
    djames92 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    this made my night lol
  • yesmikan
    yesmikan Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    This is hilarious
  • axelorate
    axelorate Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Am I an Awkward Former Fat Guy if I address people as "Ladies... ?"

:(
  • celshade
    celshade Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I think we're all a little bit of an AFFG :heart:
  • celshade
    Options
    Wow... I loooove the AFFG, as you so eloquently put it. They've been through the struggles. They don't expect me to be perfect. They have respect for the work & effort I've put in to look the way I do. They don't judge stretch marks because they might have a few themselves.

See, the AFFG is a work in progress, and they ARE both working and progressing. . :flowerforyou:
    A sense of humor was just on Rollback special at Walmart, you must have just missed it.
  • Jozie_
    Jozie_ Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    LOL I'm totally an AFFG, I've nver been fat per se but plenty akward!

But I agree, please stop sending unsolicited creepy messages, its creepy.
  • missjoci
    missjoci Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Hahaha yes, exactly!
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    And don't put mostly naked pictures of yourself up that were taken in a bathroom. EEEWWWW!

So many things are better left to the imagination. Especially in bad lighting.
  • acm130
    acm130 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    :laugh: My friend just met a guy who lost like 60 lbs in 3 mos (a lil rapid if u ask me, but whatevs) she said he kept lifting up his shirt to show his abs a la "the situation" :laugh: I'm laughing @ yr post b/c I realize you're just trying to say in a humerous way what you ended with, essentially, just b/c an AFFG lost the weight doesn't mean they figured out the emotional stuff connected to it and of course the social skills (or lack there of), suggestive messaging? What???? This is MFP not match.com.... Best of luck to all including the AFFG who will someday soon morph into the SSFFG (Sweet, Sensitive Former Fat Guy)
  • Ocarina
    Ocarina Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    Wow... I loooove the AFFG, as you so eloquently put it. They've been through the struggles. They don't expect me to be perfect. They have respect for the work & effort I've put in to look the way I do. They don't judge stretch marks because they might have a few themselves.

See, the AFFG is a work in progress, and they ARE both working and progressing. You, unfortunately, will always be a b!tch. :flowerforyou:
    A sense of humor was just on Rollback special at Walmart, you must have just missed it.

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Love it! Well played. Well played.
  • ChadB74
    ChadB74 Posts: 128 Member
    Options

See, the AFFG is a work in progress, and they ARE both working and progressing. You, unfortunately, will always be a b!tch. :flowerforyou:

Former Fatty here now just medium but yes people need a sense of humor, I was athletic way back in high school so i'm not awkward with the ladies, This is not a dating site, so guys should show more courtesy to the ladies and the Walmart line is effin funny, I am going to use it when the right moment arrives LOL
  • Workinthis1
    Options
    Funnnny! What about some of these pics people put up? I don't care how toned you are...I don't want to see you in your underwear! I am sure Walmart is having a sale on pants or shorts for that matter! Yes, I know my picture is almost twelve years old, but I have a very pretty dress on and My goal is slip back into it when I finish these 13.5 pounds! :wink:
  • celshade
    Options
    lifting up his shirt to show his abs a la "the situation"
    Exactly! These guys aren't bad guys, they're just jumping too fast into what they feel like "normal" is!

Spend a little time observing the herd before joining in! I, too, look forward to them becoming Sweet, Sensitive Former Fat Guys!

Totally agree with everyone that this isn't a dating site or match.com, thanks for classing everything up, Chad!
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    Thank u for this post girl! I shake my head every night I witness this crud on this site! THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!
  • marvelprime
    marvelprime Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I'm laughing because I know that I probably wouldn't know what to do with some of the new attention myself once I got more in shape.

Heck, I was socially awkward in my beanpole days.

Still, I know the difference between being respectable and acting like one of the guys that my female friends complained about.

The AFFG is probably a guy who thinks that they can act like a guy that the girl complains about...and do so right away. But, who am I to assess.

I agree though. Build the mind along with the body.

I know for certain that I'll maintain my values even when I lose my weight again. Then again, I suppose I was super skinny at one point so it might be easier for me.
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    no.
  • celshade
    Options
    I'm laughing because I know that I probably wouldn't know what to do with some of the new attention myself once I got more in shape. Heck, I was socially awkward in my beanpole days.

To be aware of the AFFG is to begin to conquer his existence.

On the real though, I don't think you ever have to worry about this. You're very sweet!
  • MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,724 Member
    Options
    There are some seriously attractive guys that have slimmed down or bulked up on here. Muscles everywhere! Bro, they actually lift! You know what I mean.

Then they go and do something that reveals them as the dreaded AFFG - the Awkward Former Fat Guy.

You can lose the weight, tone the body, and clean the diet, but it's harder still to develop social skills if you came into attractiveness late in life.

Are you an AFFG?

Do you address status updates to "Ladies~~" ?
    Do you hit on girls often on MFP unsolicited?
    Do you think "Girl what I'd do to you... one night in ecstasy.." is an appropriate message to send to a stranger?

Don't be CREEPY!

"But Ms. Celshade," you might be thinking, "what makes you qualified to talk about this?"

I have been sent far too many suggestive messages by guys and want to raise awareness - I can't even imagine the amount of messages girls that are actually in shape are getting.

WORK ON YOUR SOCIAL SKILLS! With real people! Don't neglect it; your body has come a long way, but it's also a journey of the mind.

You have the first word in the term incorrect. It should stand for *kitten* Former Fat Guy. A-holes come in all shapes and sizes. Awesome Former Fat Guys are typically taken and not available for you because they've had to work off of something called "personality" their whole lives, and once they get their physical appearance in order, they aren't available for long, as the smart "ladies" tend to snap them up.
    If you continue to attract the "awkward", may i suggest a different profile picture, perhaps a nice landscape or one of those inspirational "Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels" posters. Your beauty is a curse you are forced to live with. I get it. Thanks for the PSA.
  • celshade
    Options
    Every woman attracts the awkward.
  • RedHeadDevotchka
    RedHeadDevotchka Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    I think a few things increase the creep factor.....messages at 12 am saying "wow you're hot" and the like, well that really ups the numbers.
    Also, when the message contains explicit sexual preferences, it just says "I'm a little too eager".

Thanks for this!