HRM- polar vs suunto

Options
Hey everyone!
I've been thinking of buying a HRM, but I'm stuck between brand. (or if it's even worth buying one at all)

I've been looking at the Polar ft4 and ft7, and the Suunto m2 and m4. Has anyone got thoughts as to what brand is best?

I'll just be doing gym cardio, like eliptical, exercise bike, rowing machine and treadmill. Stopwatch isn't a necessity either :)

I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Bree :)

Replies

• fatgrape
    fatgrape Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I too am looking at getting one, if I'm lucky with santa, but it has to be compatible with endomondo and android, so I think it's going to have to be polar - all the others seem a bit hit-and-miss.
  • pixietoes
    pixietoes Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    I use Polar and I love it, but one of the reasons I love it is because it's what all the trainers in my gym use. They are able to answer questions and help with programming. If it wasn't for that I would be looking for which equipment is easiest to use or has the best online information.

Good luck!
  • mmcgille
    mmcgille Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Polar Ft4. I have one and LOVE it. I just use it for heart rate and determining calories burned, and it does it great. Much cheaper than others with more options. Have had mine for over 2 years and use it almost every day!
  • Lmezz11
    Lmezz11 Posts: 619 Member
    Options
    Love my Polar ft4
  • Dauntlessness
    Dauntlessness Posts: 1,489 Member
    Options
    I love my polar ft4. Its really easy to program, read and use. It seems to be much more accurate than any of the machines or estimates out there. It has never messed up on me before too. Its the best for the price.
    I did buy one other HRM that was cheaper (cant remember the name but it was like $50.00 at Best Buy) and it went back to the store the next day because it kept losing sync and it was hard to figure out.

So. Polar ft4 :) If not that, at least one with a chest strap for more accuracy.
  • tammihart
    tammihart Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    LOVE my polar f4. I got it last year as a christmas gift and use it daily for running, zumba, treadmill, dvds or whatever. It is GREAT.
  • bree_cheese92
    Options
    Thanks for the replies already! So fast! haha

The ft4 is tempting me... especially the purple/pink colour! Are the extra features with the ft7 worth it?

:)
  • myjoy2012
    myjoy2012 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I am also using the Polar FT4 so far I am loving it. I did not see the need for the FT7, the Ft4 suits my needs.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, I have read some things recently about Suunto that makes me question their overall performance. Not sure if they have changed software or what, but I was looking at some user comments about their higher-end models and they were pretty negative.

In general, the calorie counting accuracy of HRMs is vastly, vastly overstated (and overrated), so I don't push them as hard as others do. As a training tool, an HRM can be very effective, so it does have value from that standpoint.

If you are going to get one, my recommendation would be to spend the extra $$ for the FT40 or FT60 models. I think they are more accurate and they allow manual entry of VO2 max.
  • coolcatcan
    coolcatcan Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I have both the Polar FT7 & the M4 and the Polar FT7 is much better. I lose HR when I do certain exercises with my M4 and it drives me crazy. In my opinion, the FT7 is easier to use and much more reliable.

Hope this helps!
  • bree_cheese92
    Options
    Unfortunately, I have read some things recently about Suunto that makes me question their overall performance. Not sure if they have changed software or what, but I was looking at some user comments about their higher-end models and they were pretty negative.

In general, the calorie counting accuracy of HRMs is vastly, vastly overstated (and overrated), so I don't push them as hard as others do. As a training tool, an HRM can be very effective, so it does have value from that standpoint.

If you are going to get one, my recommendation would be to spend the extra $$ for the FT40 or FT60 models. I think they are more accurate and they allow manual entry of VO2 max.

Thanks, I've seen some negatives as well, but heaps of positives too- such a hard choice.

But I do worry that I will be wasting the $100 when I could get by without it!

Thanks to everyone so far :)