Should I work out if I'm sore?

I've started lifting heavy weights and been doing cardio. Today would make 4 days in a row I've worked out and I'm pretty sore. It hurts to move and most of my major muscle groups are affected. Should I do weights again or just give myself a day of rest since I'm just starting out?

I've heard that lifting weights will help with the soreness, but if I'm sore and dealing with microtears, it doesn't seem like more weights would be a good idea.

What do you think?

Replies

• ekkand
    ekkand Posts: 592 Member
    I've heard you have to push through being sore to get results.. but I'm no work out expert.
  • JasonDetwiler
    JasonDetwiler Posts: 364 Member
    I've started lifting heavy weights and been doing cardio. Today would make 4 days in a row I've worked out and I'm pretty sore. It hurts to move and most of my major muscle groups are affected. Should I do weights again or just give myself a day of rest since I'm just starting out?

I've heard that lifting weights will help with the soreness, but if I'm sore and dealing with microtears, it doesn't seem like more weights would be a good idea.

What do you think?

Yes, you need to tell your body that this is the new normal. The soreness is a response to something the body is not used to.
  • djtulppo
    djtulppo Posts: 34 Member
    I do and believe it or not in a few minutes the soreness goes away!
  • SteAnnMui
    SteAnnMui Posts: 129 Member
    Normally I would say yes, working out will help with the soreness. But since you have lifted weights four days in a row with no rest, I would say you should give your body rest. I lift Monday, Wednesday, Friday, and do cardio in between as a bonus if I feel like it. That way my muscles get a chance to heal.
  • joanmarienana
    joanmarienana Posts: 69 Member
    Definitely listen to your body and REST! Resting is when your muscles repair ,(Grow!)
    not a fan of pushing too hard- especially when just starting out. Injuries are a real bummer to deal with.
    Always have at least 2 days between working the same muscle if you are lifting your heaviest.
    Best wishes!
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    This really depends on what your program is. If you did 4 heavy full body workouts in a row you are over doing it. The gym is where you break yourself down. Resting is when it repairs and gets stronger. Working out with a little bit of soreness is fine as long as you gave the muscle group at least a day to recoup. I have had soreness that lasted for days so working that muscle group out again a few days later is fine even if its still a bit sore. The next day? Not so much.
  • LizL217
    LizL217 Posts: 217 Member
    For me, if my legs are sore I do chest or back or arms, if my arms are sore I do legs, etc. But since you say that all of your major muscle groups are sore... I would do something like an hour of yoga. That way you get a decent workout but focus more on flexibility and stretching out those sore muscles rather than putting them through another ardous day of lifting.

My personal philosophy is to balance a workout regimen of:
    1) weight circuit training (chest/back, legs, shoulders/arms, abs... never the same muscles 2 days in a row, and at least 20 minutes at a time)
    2) cardio (usually 20-30 minutes of running, swimming, biking, elliptical-ing, sometimes longer)
    3) flexibility (at least 45 miuntes of yoga or a dedicated stretching routine, not just a little pre-workout stretch)
    4) fun things (Zumba, dancing at a club, rock climbing, running around Manhattan on a shopping binge, whatever)

I usually combine one or two of the above categories in a 1-hour session each day if I can. Seems to keep me sufficiently entertained, challenged, and just sore enough where it feels awesome rather than limiting.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    It depends. If you can still do the workout with good form even with the soreness then I would try. But if you're getting to failure quickly or unable to keep good form, IMO, that's a pretty good indication that the body needs more rest. From what you said, it sounds to me like a rest day is in order.

Are you switching off muscle groups on different days or doing push/pull days? Just want to make sure you're not trying to work everything and then not taking any rest. The body needs rest to recuperate and rebuild!
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    I agree with other people who say that maybe you should rest a little.

I get sore when I lift, and have begun to alternate muscle groups to avoid it.

Monday--upper body +squats

Tuesday--lower body including leg press

Wednesday--upper body+ squats

Thursday--rest

Friday--lower body + squats

right now I think I am over working my upper body, so I think I am going to move my chest press to my lower body day so I can do it better.
  • JasonDetwiler
    JasonDetwiler Posts: 364 Member
    The question is are you sore or are you hurt? If you're just sore and you're new, you do not need to wait to work out again. It's the new normal and your body will adjust. Assuming that you are following a decent program, not just doing some random stuff to failure and making yourself sore for no planned purpose.

When you are new to training and wait until you're not sore anymore to work out again, assuming as above, you don't make any progress and you're just sore again after the next session.

So, please make sure you're using a solid program and following its designated schedule. Make sure that you start light and work your way up. Stick to the schedule and progressively adapt to greater stimulus.

Unless you are injured or following some poorly designed program, do not wait until you are no longer sore to train again.

Lifting four days in a row would tell me you're probably not on a very well designed program. As a beginner, in general, you wouldn't want or need to be on a program that has you lifting more than 3 or 4 days a week.