Just want to be Pretty!

Options
Shallow I know!!

I don't know how but I seem to have missed out of the clothes / hair / make up knowledge gene! I really make very little effort day to day - part due to lack of skills and part due to lack of confidence due to my weight.

I want to change all this! Trying to figure out how to do a make over of sorts. Something to motivate me on this Healthy Me plan. I want to care enough about myself to see myself as worth the effort.

The idea is that the beauty habits will be properly set and almost like second nature by the time I reach my ideal weight!

Any tips?

I was talking about it with a couple of girls from work who said I would look less plain if I made more effort. I do wear make up but nothing exciting and don't do anything with my hair.

How do you get to be good at hair and make up?

Replies

• _the_feniks_
    _the_feniks_ Posts: 3,443 Member
    Options
    POGTFO
  • SoViLicious
    SoViLicious Posts: 2,633 Member
    Options
    Buy some magazines, go on youtube... Just play around.
  • CMA66
    CMA66 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Some salons offer make up services and will do lessons, you might pick up a couple of tips that might work for you.
  • DoomCakes
    DoomCakes Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    Good question... I'm a tom boy... my hair goes up in a pony tail and I throw on shirts and pants. Most the time I skip the make up, and when I do, I don't have the slightest idea how to make it look exciting, its just... there? But at least it's not over done!
  • CallieM15
    CallieM15 Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    Its not shallow. With feeling pretty comes confidence. I was ALOT more confident, and loved myself more when I was at a lower weight, which I thought was pretty.

Happy girls is what makes us pretty girls.

You can do this! Its easy to learn..

Just start you tubing hair tutorials. Even a small braid will look like you did something special to your hair.

As for makeup, ALWAYS wear eyeline WITH mascara. I pout when I see girls that dont have mascara on with eyeliner. DONT go too dark if your lighter skin toned. DONT wear overly too much foundation and glossy lips if you are not used to being "dolled up". A little eyeliner and mascara goes a long way!

Clothing.. thats harder.. You kinda have to play with it. somepeople look adorable in things, some dont. Look at the mannicnes in the stores! Try and base what you wear after them. They usually look pretty well put together. If you wear a tshirt, try adding a long necklace, and pumps, itll make even a simple tshirt look more dressy.

Heels, make you look slimmer. V neck, sliming neck/face effect.
    :)
  • DGK12
    DGK12 Posts: 117
    Options
    Pinterest!!!
  • kmorg22
    kmorg22 Posts: 180
    Options
    cosmotology school?
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    I is purty...oh and callie is gorgeous. just sayin'
  • StaceyJ2008
    StaceyJ2008 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Well, it takes a lot of practice. You can also youtube a lot of tips and watch how to do everything, especially makeup.

Products are important as well. Quality hair and makeup products. Foundation and primer especially.

Take a whole day to just practice. You will get it.
  • the_green_midget
    the_green_midget Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I've actually found quite a few really cool makeup and hair tips on Pinterest. You can see my board here: http://pinterest.com/ilanam/make-me-pretty/ There's a lot of inspiration on the internet if you look around.
  • PittShkr
    PittShkr Posts: 1,000 Member
    Options
    Go out get your hair did, shave completely and get a facial or two... I hear its good for the skin
  • edbotella
    Options
    If you go to a department store, you can get a makeover from any of the booths; you're expected to buy something, but the cost of buying a new mascara is probably less than paying for a makeover at a salon
  • miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Good question... I'm a tom boy... my hair goes up in a pony tail and I throw on shirts and pants. Most the time I skip the make up, and when I do, I don't have the slightest idea how to make it look exciting, its just... there? But at least it's not over done!

I tried to do the girly girl thing for my nephew's wedding. My three sisters have it down pat. I bought a nice skirt, nail polish, make up, got my hair cut. And no one noticed or said anything. So I figure why bother. At 54 it isn't going to make any difference in my life anyway. I don't work outside the home, don't date. So I guess I will continue to be a tomboy!
  • nosey_rosey
    nosey_rosey Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Lots and lots of fun ideas on youtube and pinterest! I am not so good at makeup and hair =( It takes lots of practice.... being a stay at home mom I don't have very many occasions that I need to get all dolled up.
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    I totally know how you feel! I was the exact same way until a couple of months ago. I decided I was tired of being out and seeing all the other girls look cute and knowing I looked plain and like I didn't even try (because I didn't)! I made a "new years resolution" except it wasn't new years lol, to put more effort into my appearance. I get up just a little earlier each morning to pick out a nice outfit (or plan it the night before) and I take the time to do my hair and use just a little make-up. One thing I've found I really enjoy doing to my hair is curling it with a curling iron and then brushing it out for soft waves. I get a lot of compliments now!

I've just never been the type of girl that's really into that shallow stuff, but I must say I do feel more confident when I'm out and about now. Just remember that you are already pretty - beautiful, actually - and putting in extra effort is just a bonus :smile:

Check out pinterest and youtube for hair and make-up tips, I've learned a lot that way!
  • Kismet_35
    Kismet_35 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Watch What Not to Wear on TLC and buy Stacy London's book The Truth About Style. Stacy and Clinton are geniuses! I also agree about looking at magazines and things like that. Just try new things and see what works and what doesn't. Take some chances and see what you like. I love clothes, shoes, and makeup. It's all about making yourself look like the best you that you can be. I am not a high maintenance gal but I do think your outward appearance plays a lot into how people treat you, right or wrong.
  • terrappyn
    terrappyn Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I'm with you! I am def lacking in the outfit category! Mainly because I feel like you need money to look good and secondly jeans and shirts are just sooo much easier! lol Make-up goes on only when I go out! lol And its browns and neutral colors! lol
  • ericachristie85
    ericachristie85 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    You tube is great. There are talented people posting instruction videos for just about any look. Pick a celebrities hair that you could see working for you and google "how to get _________'s hair." I dont have great skills in this area so I try and copy looks I like and get tutorials when possible. Most make up stores like Sophora will help you learn how to apply their products and pick out colors.

You are beautiful in and out, but I know the effect that dressing up has on a persons self esteem. Have fun with it!
  • hpsNcrvs
    Options
    Trust me...all you need is CherryBomb Lipgloss and Mascara.

Accentuate the lips and eyes...make em pop.

Throw some curlers in your hair.

Wear some sexy heels....jeans and low cut Tshirt........and perfume (Coach Poppy)

VOILA!!!!
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    Options
    Not much I can do about my looks, but I know when I am wearing my sexy red underpanties I feel pretty inside.

I'm wearing them right now.