Just want to be Pretty!

Options

Replies

• RedHeadDevotchka
    RedHeadDevotchka Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    It doesn't take alot. It can be overwhelming though to think about making alot of changes to your appearance all at once. Start by googling things and looking thru magazines at things that YOU like. Circle them, and go copy the style!
    Also, a little mascara and some pretty lipstick can go a long way.
    Make notes of what other people are wearing and what you like about the styles. I am constantly stealing ideas and passing them off as my own! :laugh:
  • LucilleHighball
    LucilleHighball Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    You tube, pinterest, magazines. There are tips and tricks everywhere. I would suggest going to someone who can help with what works best for you with your skin tones and face shape, like the makeup counters. I have also had my hair stylist show me how to do things I bring in photos of. But really...practice.
  • Kismet_35
    Kismet_35 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    And wait...why is it shallow to want to look your best and put your best foot forward? Looking good on the outside can play amazing tricks with your mind. There have been days when I was feeling down and all it took was putting on a cute outfit and doing my hair and make up and my outlook changed. There is nothing shallow about that. Feeling good about yourself and looking good are very much related. And looking good is all in the eye of the beholder so it means different things to different people.
  • laura_lynn66
    Options
    Host a make-up party in your home, like Mary Kay...you will get a makeover and free products for inviting your friends..it's also a good excuse to have appetizers and wine with your girlfriends!
  • Megzfitlog
    Options
    I'm very similar, except I don't wear any makeup at all. I have my ears pierced 12 times and don't wear jewelry of any kind. I don't know what area you are in, but I went to ULTA and they did my makeup for me and showed me how to do it. I still feel like I'm 10 and playing with mom's makeup when I try though.
  • flatbellybella
    flatbellybella Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    definitely youtube
  • OlenaS
    OlenaS Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Ditto on youtube, there are tutorials on everything!! Plus product reviews.... And people show swatches of makeup colors. It is probably going to be a bit of trial and error to figure out what you like, but it is fun. And you can always use it as motivation to reach one of your goals (5 lbs = new lipstick, etc). It's fun. Also, do you already use nailpolish? If not, maybe an easy thing to try since there is no special skill needed... And don't have to worry about matching colors to anything really.... You can have it done at a salon once to see how they do it, then after that do it at home... Or go to salon as reward for reaching goals, etc, etc... Have fun!!
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    I'm not good at it. But the few things I do make enough difference with super minimal effort. All I wear when I'm going out as far as makeup is concerned is mascara and eye liner. That's all you really need in my opinion. Most guys will say they don't like loads of makeup anyways.

As far as hair....all you need is a straightener!! A flat iron, whatever you wanna call it. Make sure you get a ceramic one. I have one that's called "Wet to Straight" so you can skip the blow drying step before you straighten! Straightening is easy to do yourself, after the first few times, you'll be a pro. Should take less than a half hour depending on what type of hair you have.
  • CallieM15
    CallieM15 Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    I is purty...oh and callie is gorgeous. just sayin'

Hahah Thanks Cliff. :D
  • plaingirly
    Options
    Will have to do a little bit of shopping tomorrow! I like the 50s retro type of look but have never actually tried to do the make up.

I have always felt plain - downright hideous sometimes - even if people tell me differently. I just don't believe them!! Took me a while to work up the courage to post a profile picture.

Will have a look around on Youtube too - that sound easier that trying to follow written instructions. Saw some make up that I liked in Boots today so think I will treat myself.

Zumba is helping my confidence a bit but I have always been shy and quiet. I am a girly girl on the inside and am interested in all the hair and make up stuff but you wouldn't know that to look at me!
  • Jul158
    Jul158 Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Pinterest has a ton of great links on how to do make-up and hair. There are also some great blogs to look into. For fashion, my favorite is http://www.jseverydayfashion.com/
    Hope this helps! : )
  • skittles1928
    skittles1928 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Putting on a little lip gloss and eye liner makes a huge difference on me. But I'm lazy, so that's as much work as I'll do. It takes about one minute.
  • aimeewick
    aimeewick Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I started reading this blog and it motivated me to do a little more here and there http://www.maskcara.com/
  • currierand
    currierand Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Every woman has the right to feel pretty, nothing shallow about it. Most of us are all here to take Better care of our bodies and that should include our skin, hair and what we wear. It takes time to learn to make better choices when it comes to food and fitness, and you can learn about beauty as well. Just make it a priority like you are doing with diet and exercise.

Yes, it's whats on the inside that counts, but once you like what you see in the mirror you are more inclined to care about your insides.

Good luck to you. I agree with all the above. Start looking around in utube and pinterest or pick up some magazines....beauty advice is everywhere, just take what works for you.
  • Divaflo1
    Options
    I feel you!! It is not shallow at all. Unfortunately that is what draws the eye...outer beauty. Check out magazines and youtube for make up tip ideas...start with the basics! lip gloss, mascara...and have fun with it! see what you like get some girlfriends over and have a make up party or visit your mall make up counter. Those girls can usually help with what colors work best with your skin tone!

Best of luck!!
  • Carlyannabelle
    Carlyannabelle Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I am not great with hair either, that is why I keep it long and straight. Sometimes I will curl it, and I usually leave it down.

Make-up...A little goes a long way...I use colored eye liner and eyeshadow that brings out my eyes. I have brown eyes so I usually wear blue eye liner sparingly and purple eye shadows. I don't do a lot of color on my lips, maybe some chapstick that has a tint to it, a more natural look. If I am going out, and I go heavier on the eyes, then I go light on the lips, and vice versa.

It will take time, you just have to practice and see what looks good on you. Also if you have a Dillards or Herbergers...They offer free make up applications. Good luck and I am sure you are already beautiful!
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Not much I can do about my looks, but I know when I am wearing my sexy red underpanties I feel pretty inside.

I'm wearing them right now.
    lol

Try pigtails. *****es love pigtails.
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    Beautifying yourself is a great way to feel more confident, and when you feel more confident, you take more chances, meet more people, things can only get better.

Make-up takes practice. I'd suggest making an appointment at a make-up counter or with a local Mary Kay sales lady. They will give you a little make-over and make product suggestions, but you don't have to buy from them. It will give you a basic foundation to start with. You can do the same thing at Sephora and most department stores. Once you have the basics, buy some eye shadows and play with a little light color. Obviously you don't want to be flashy at work, but you'd be surprised just how much a little eye shadow brightens your whole face. Mary Kay catalogs also have step-by-step make-up tips.

Have fun with accessories also. Second-hand stores are a great place to find funky necklaces, rings, braclets, scarves and hats. Flip through magazines to get ideas for styling. If you don't want to pay for the mags, go to Barnes and Noble or something similar, buy a coffee and flip through. You can also browse online. Look at other women when you go out, always have your eye out. I get ideas all over the place.

Don't be afraid to have fun. It's OK to mis-match, where white after labor day, mix silver and gold, or whatever else you like. Part of being pretty is being fun. If you are fun to be around, you are naturally more pretty. It all goes in circles like that.
  • Curvatures
    Options
    You don't need to do a whole lot to look girly or pretty, but how you go about it will depend on what you are working with.

As far as hair is concerned, just healthy, shiny hair can look stunning without you doing anything to it all the time. I am lazy, and I like my hair to look natural, so I take care of it. I use little shampoo, and alternate between a normal shampoo and a sulfate free one. I condition every time, and I oil my hair, the ends especially. Make sure to trim any split ends, or your hair will look choppy and frizzy. I also henna my hair - I have brown hair, and the henna gives it a reddish tint that I like, plus it really boosts the shine (unlike hair color, which does the exact opposite.) I also never blow dry. I towel gently, scrunch with my hands, and then pin it up to dry - I take out the pins when I get to work, and voila! Gentle, pretty, shiny waves!

I also absolutely reject the idea that weight prevents people from looking stylish and sexy! Anyone can look stylish and well dressed, regardless of weight, and you don't need to spend a fortune either - you just need to know what to look for. Half my wardrobe is from goodwill - it's amazing what people give away, often with original tags still attached. I've actually lusted after tops in a store, refrained, only to find them at goodwill 6 months later. :)

If heels are uncomfortable, and you are used to flats, but want to be more girly, look into pretty flats, or low wedges.

Get a basic pair of dark denim bootcut jeans. Darker shades are slimming, bootcut flatters almost everyone, and you can dress it up with heels, or a nice top, or a sexy jacket.

Get girly earrings - a pretty pair of dangly earrings will dress up any outfit :)

Also - don't look at the mannequins, like someone suggested. Mannequins are tiny. Even the plus sized ones are tiny. What works on a mannequin often does not work on a person with curves. If you have hips, look for A line skirts, or better still, trumpet skirts that flare out at the bottom - this balances your figure out beautifully!
  • towardthesunshine
    Options
    As shallow as it sounds, feeling/looking pretty can seriously make you so much more motivated and give you better esteem. Should it? No, but I think every woman is a little guilty...

YOUTUBE IS YOUR BEST FRIEND. Seriously, I learned almost everything there.

HAIR: Invest in a flat iron and some heat protection spray. Take the extra 10 minutes to flat iron your hair. It's super easy and can change your whole look! Makes your hair look healthier/shinier.

MAKEUP: Less is best. F'real. I always use a tinted moisturizer to even out my skin tone (Maybelline BB Cream). Pick what you want to emphasize - what do you like most about yourself? I usually choose either eyes or lips. For my eyes, I usually either just do mascara or mascara & liquid liner (Look up a youtube video for liquid liner!) and then put a little chapstick on. If I want to emphasize my lips, I'll put on a coral lip stick and maybe a little mascara.

It doesn't have to take a lot of time or money. It probably takes me 10 minutes to straighten my hair, and then another ten for makeup -- the total extra 20 minutes is so worth it for the confidence boost!