Trying to Gain

Options
2»

Replies

• sherrymccall
    sherrymccall Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Durrrr. Not trying to get pregnant for another year. Just want my body healthy for when I am trying to.
  • jennagirl9
    jennagirl9 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Use calorie-dense foods.

Add granola, advocados, bananas, healthy fats, nuts, full fat dairy, beans, nut butters, and don't go out of your way to get the leanest meats possible...

If you are still having problems gaining after adding more of those to your diet, start adding sauces and dressings in limited amounts.
  • 80lbslost
    80lbslost Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    My Dr told me the same thing last Spring when I weighed 112lbs (I'm 5'3). She actually told me to quit MFP and not worry about calories. Of course I didn't but I did eat around 2000 cal and made sure I ate more protein snacks throughout the day. By July I gained 5 lbs and was pregnant. :) I gained 33lbs throughout my pregnancy and exercised everyday. I lost all my pregnancy weight within the first few months so don't worry about the weight gain! Just focus on having that baby and being healthy.
  • sherrymccall
    Options
    My Dr told me the same thing last Spring when I weighed 112lbs (I'm 5'3). She actually told me to quit MFP and not worry about calories. Of course I didn't but I did eat around 2000 cal and made sure I ate more protein snacks throughout the day. By July I gained 5 lbs and was pregnant. :) I gained 33lbs throughout my pregnancy and exercised everyday. I lost all my pregnancy weight within the first few months so don't worry about the weight gain! Just focus on having that baby and being healthy.

Thanks for the advice! Mind if I send you a friend request?:)
  • prokomds
    prokomds Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Something to easily boost your calories - you use the low-fat/skim/low-calorie versions of some things. If you switch over to the regular versions, you'll easily eat more calories every day

I'd make sure you get plenty of proteins and healthy fats, and if you're strength training, continue to do that. If you're not doing that, it might be time to add a little. That will help you put on muscle as you put on fat - you're not going to look "bigger", you'll look more fit. And if you're doing much cardio now, it may be time to cut back, at least until your fat % has gone up some.

Even if you weren't looking to get pregnant in the future, your body fat % is too low to be healthy for a grown woman. Take care of yourself!
  • sherrymccall
    Options
    Something to easily boost your calories - you use the low-fat/skim/low-calorie versions of some things. If you switch over to the regular versions, you'll easily eat more calories every day

I'd make sure you get plenty of proteins and healthy fats, and if you're strength training, continue to do that. If you're not doing that, it might be time to add a little. That will help you put on muscle as you put on fat - you're not going to look "bigger", you'll look more fit. And if you're doing much cardio now, it may be time to cut back, at least until your fat % has gone up some.

Even if you weren't looking to get pregnant in the future, your body fat % is too low to be healthy for a grown woman. Take care of yourself!

Thanks for being supportive! And I know that my body fat is too low now. And I'm gonna start focusing on strength training now!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    The doctor said I need to be eating between 1800 and 2000 calories a day and eating back my exercise calories. I have been eating between 1200 and 1500 on a normal day and not eating back all my calories.

The doctor told you what you need to do and how to do it, so what exactly is your question?

This!
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    So my question is how do I gain back some body fat without doing it in an unhealthy way?

You are a victim of some of this healthy/unhealthy nonsense that goes around.

You are at a bodyfat % too low to conceive. This is your bodies way of telling you that you are at an unhealthy BF%.

The vast majority of people would become healthier by being less fat. You are one of the few that would become healthier by becoming more fat.

Pretty much all "healthy" advice is absolutely backwards for you. Eat fat. Lots of it. Carbs, yummy, those too. Eating "clean" or trying to gain lean mass is exactly opposite of what will make you healthier. Gaining fat slower does not make it healtheir fat. For you all fat is healthy fat.

If you want to maintain or improve you healthiness, keep up your physical condtion, cardio and strength, as you gain fat.

People that only know losing are often afraid of the whole cycle of losing, maintaining, and gaining. Gaining is ok and perfectly healthy, learning how to gain while exercising is a good thing, and will further assist you in maintaining once you have gained enough to reach your goals.