Replies

• Angellaree
    Angellaree Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    **bump**
  • djames92
    djames92 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    just had extreme motivation and didnt let anything get in my way no cheat days no nothing just eating healthy
  • LadyIntrepid
    LadyIntrepid Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I had a little more weight to lose, but like you, I was in the not having to lose a whole bunch zone. I made sure to NET 1200-1500 calories daily, and really started to see movement when I hit the gym 5-6 days a week including 3 1/2 hours of weight/strength training and another 4 or so hours of cardio, not to mention walking the dog daily and being up and about quite a lot. Everyone's different, but this is what's been the magic formula for me.

All that and patience. Patience patience. When you don't have a lot to lose, it's definitely a slower process.
  • dhiammarath
    dhiammarath Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    Diet and exercise. I kept to about 1200ish calories for a while, then upped it when I upped my exercise. I'm not real awesome at adhering to my "limit", but I'm very hard on myself in terms of expectations, so I don't really have "cheat" days. Instead, I try to live in moderation. My diet isn't super clean, super fancy, or even super anything, and that's mainly because I'm changing my lifestyle to fit my needs and what I KNOW I can maintain going forward. But I'm under my calories, I get my nutrition, and the thing I miss most is all the Starbucks I used to drink!

I think the biggest thing is find something that works for you in both the short and long run. Each person is different!
  • Ewaldt
    Ewaldt Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I think the key is just to realize that it IS going to take time if it is something that you want to be able to keep up. If your goals are too fast, you are most likely overworking yourself, which is not something that you will want to stick with after you reach your goals, which leads to a regression to your former lifestyle, and losing all of your progress. If you are in it for the long haul, your expectations of yourself must be realistic and achievable because if not, you will never be able to stick to them.
  • drusilla126
    drusilla126 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    When I started I dropped myself down to 1200 calories and was working out at Curves on top of that. I quickly started feeling like death. I read up on BMR and found that my body needed at least 1600 calories or so so I could function in a coma so I quickly (and hesitantly) upped my calories and also started eating back my exercise calories. In addition to counting calories I'm at Curves 5 days a week. I've been doing this since the end of February and found out yesterday I am down 70 pounds. No plateaus, no starving and no push ups.
  • staceyseeger
    staceyseeger Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    <
    I want you to think of what you ate today. Got it? Now cut that in half, this is called a diet, people, everyone start one today! Darcy, you should stop eating. You see, when you skip a meal, your body feeds off its fat stores. And if you skip enough, maybe your body will eat your *kitten*! \m/

I know what movie that came from! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    I ate above my BMR and below my TDEE. I was hungrier than usual at first so I started eating smaller portions with greater frequency. As I incorporated more and more exercise, I still ate between my BMR and TDEE. I incorporated more protein in the mornings. I've hit a few bumps in the road with respect to exercise recently but have kept my calories in check and have not gained.

Since the turn of the year I've lost 15% of my body weight, probably reduced my body fat by 20%, and increased my lean muscle mass.

I have not been super crazy motivated, obsessed, nor have I worked crazy hard.

Tortoise, not hare.
  • amiscci
    amiscci Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Started out at 1200 calories and after about a month of starving and feeling awful, upped it to close to 1400/day-- which felt much better! Shared a personal trainer 3x a week, mostly resistance training and moderate weights, and have gone religiously.
    I now have a flat belly, smaller hips and a hint of abs!

Lost about 28 lbs in 8 months, no real plateaus but the last 8 lbs or so came off much slower and with greater effort.
    In all, I lost about a 3/4 lb - 1 lb a week. I'm 52 years old, 5"5.5 and now weigh about 124 lbs. I'm newly working on maintenance
    and trying to stay in range of 124-126 and have upped my calories to about 1700/day.

I worked hard at it and was consisent and committed. I had the occasional splurge and cookie, but
    overall greatly improved my diet to stay within calories and macros. Slow and steady.
  • di1428
    di1428 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Love reading success stories too....

wouldnt say mine is a success story YET but i have had some success...

April 10, 2012 i started (once again) this journey of losing weight. but this time i took a different approach.
    After my doctor telling me i was headed for diabetes, i still didnt do anything right away..
    it was actually close to a year later...
    my doctor recommended south beach diet.

instead of starting "tomorrow", i downloaded the southbeach diet and read it and reread it and
    put out a date of starting for april 10.
    and since then i have lost 45 lbs so far......the most i lost probably ever...and more importantly
    this past physical, all my blood work was back to normal :)

i am not done, i am not even thinking of my final goal weight. it was too overwhelming so
    i am doing it in "chunks". first goal was 25lbs, then 40 total and now im working on my 60, with
    15lbs to go :) than will re-evaluate and make a new mini goal. this seems to work best for me.

the last two months though i have hit a plateau. but will say even though its frustrating, i am proud that
    i didnt give up. in the past i'd get discouraged and negitive and then we all know what happens, the weight
    comes back, and then some.

so joined MFP last week in hopes of shaking things up and keeping track of my food better.
  • mauswood
    mauswood Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    When I first started out I just kept my calories at 1,200 and rode an exercise bike almost every day whenever I watched tv or a movie - usually meant at least an hour of riding. What I found super helpful was that I only weighed myself once a month. I've been weighing myself every week lately and it's been super discouraging (I've been at a plateau I haven't been able to break for a very very long time now). But when I was weighing myself once a month the number was bigger and more encouraging. As long as you're eating conscientiously, getting enough protein and water, and exercising - the weight WILL come off. Just be patient :)
  • ohheyy125
    ohheyy125 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Diet and exercise. I kept to about 1200ish calories for a while, then upped it when I upped my exercise. I'm not real awesome at adhering to my "limit", but I'm very hard on myself in terms of expectations, so I don't really have "cheat" days. Instead, I try to live in moderation. My diet isn't super clean, super fancy, or even super anything, and that's mainly because I'm changing my lifestyle to fit my needs and what I KNOW I can maintain going forward. But I'm under my calories, I get my nutrition, and the thing I miss most is all the Starbucks I used to drink!

I think the biggest thing is find something that works for you in both the short and long run. Each person is different!

Nice!
  • ohheyy125
    ohheyy125 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Started out at 1200 calories and after about a month of starving and feeling awful, upped it to close to 1400/day-- which felt much better! Shared a personal trainer 3x a week, mostly resistance training and moderate weights, and have gone religiously.
    I now have a flat belly, smaller hips and a hint of abs!

Lost about 28 lbs in 8 months, no real plateaus but the last 8 lbs or so came off much slower and with greater effort.
    In all, I lost about a 3/4 lb - 1 lb a week. I'm 52 years old, 5"5.5 and now weigh about 124 lbs. I'm newly working on maintenance
    and trying to stay in range of 124-126 and have upped my calories to about 1700/day.

I worked hard at it and was consisent and committed. I had the occasional splurge and cookie, but
    overall greatly improved my diet to stay within calories and macros. Slow and steady.

Awesome thanks this was helpful. I agree that the extra 200 calories makes a huge difference
  • Chinadorian
    Chinadorian Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Slimat30
    Slimat30 Posts: 142
    Options
    Hi there!
    I started at 150lbs and am now at goal (126lbs). I'm 5'7"
    To get here I ate 2000 cals every day and didn't eat back any exercise calories. I ran three times a week. Good luck everyone!
    Feel free to add me :happy:
  • sweetpea129
    sweetpea129 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    I'm not at goal yet but im getting closer!

For me, the biggest thing was cutting out soda. I never really ate THAT much before, but use to drink 5 cups of pepsi a day for many, many years, almost 20 years maybe? Thats A LOT of freaking empty calories. So i cut out all drinks that werent water. I also stick to 1200-1400 cals, and eat a lot of chicken, fruits, veggies. But, yes, soda was my biggest success.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!