why have gym lost the hardcore feel

Options
Hello i remember watching videos of gold gym when arnold and the great legends use to workout there was no messing arround i watch videos now of Gym there are so many rules and regulations. you cant groan. you cant drop dumbbells. you cant I mean is it a GYM or a library. Gym dont have barbells but they have the latest treadmil elipetical i mean dear god where is the hardcore proper barbell dumbbells and chalk mess on the floor LOL and TV in the gym always playing POP justin beiber sorry i come to workout not watch justin beiber or nicki minaj.

whats ur opnion

Replies

• sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    apparently you have not found the right gym for you...

When I am on the treadmill doing my warm up, I don't want to hear some guy grunting like he is about to give birth or something. I understand that the weights are heavy, and I have grunted a bit trying to get that last rep out, but I bet they can't hear me across the gym!

If you have to DROP the weight, or throw the weight down, it is too damn heavy. When I hear stuff crash to the floor after a gut wrenching grunt, I kinda want to look around and see who is dying on the floor.
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    If you have to DROP the weight, or throw the weight down, it is too damn heavy.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRCnnYOiXB2BeyDbn87imCpjxnPkyX4foqpOp0xedP3B4ZfWR4K

Or maybe the weights were not to heavy and him/her is just pushing themselfs and pushed his/her threshold to the max kind of like your supposed to do to when you lift weights to create muscle trama and muscle fatigue thus causing him/her to not have the energy to gently set them down as to not upset the nannies in the PUBLIC gym who think he/she is lifting to heavy.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options

Or maybe the weights were not to heavy and him/her is just pushing themselfs and pushed his/her threshold to the max kind of like your supposed to do to when you lift weights to create muscle trama and muscle fatigue thus causing him/her to not have the energy to gently set them down as to not upset the nannies in the PUBLIC gym who think he/she is lifting to heavy.

This. Or maybe they are doing olympic lifting.
  • AsrarHussain
    AsrarHussain Posts: 1,424 Member
    Options

this I agree but if the weights are 20 kg then u should not drop but ifs 40-50 kg dumbbells then dropping should not be a problem but avoid throwing it like ronnie coleman LOL
  • AsrarHussain
    Options
    apparently you have not found the right gym for you...

When I am on the treadmill doing my warm up, I don't want to hear some guy grunting like he is about to give birth or something. I understand that the weights are heavy, and I have grunted a bit trying to get that last rep out, but I bet they can't hear me across the gym!

If you have to DROP the weight, or throw the weight down, it is too damn heavy. When I hear stuff crash to the floor after a gut wrenching grunt, I kinda want to look around and see who is dying on the floor.

my GYM is ok they dont mind but am talking about majority GYMs they got to many rules
  • sarahrbraun
    Options

Or maybe the weights were not to heavy and he/her is just pushing themselfs and pushed his/her threshold to the max kind of like your supposed to do to when you lift weights to create muscle trama and muscle fatigue thus causing him/her to not have the energy to gently set them down as to not upset the nannies in the gym who think he/she is lifting to heavy in a public gym mind you.

[biting tongue to prevent turning into the grammar police]

I totally understand about pushing your limits and creating muscle trauma. That doesn't mean that you can't dial it down a few lbs and not grunt THAT loud, or throw it down on just about every rep. AND, I shouldn't have to worry about flying/rolling dumbbells as I am walking through the gym...
  • AsrarHussain
    Options

This. Or maybe they are doing olympic lifting.

maybe olympic lifting if u watch them lift when they do a clean press they throw it on the floor
  • AsrarHussain
    Options

Or maybe the weights were not to heavy and he/her is just pushing themselfs and pushed his/her threshold to the max kind of like your supposed to do to when you lift weights to create muscle trama and muscle fatigue thus causing him/her to not have the energy to gently set them down as to not upset the nannies in the gym who think he/she is lifting to heavy in a public gym mind you.

I totally understand about pushing your limits and creating muscle trauma. That doesn't mean that you can't dial it down a few lbs and not grunt THAT loud, or throw it down on just about every rep. AND, I shouldn't have to worry about flying/rolling dumbbells as I am walking through the gym...

I agree with you to an extent but what am saying if a guy is holding 2 dumbbells which way 50-60 kg and he drops and it makes a noise I mean its hard to do it silent its a gym not a library LOL but i hate kids with 10-15 kg dumbbells throwing that should not happen
  • ruststar
    ruststar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    The rules in the gym are about being respectful of other people. Hearing a barbell drop crash to the floor is not just loud, the shock of the sound can disturb the concentration of other lifters. You are not the only person in the room! Some jerk dropped his enormous dumbell on the floor when I was doing an over head press, startled me, and I almost dropped the barbell on my head. There's no need for that noise, and if you need, build your own home gym and do whatever you want.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Because meatheads don't pay the bills.

I say this as an admitted meathead.
  • sarahrbraun
    Options
    The rules in the gym are about being respectful of other people. Hearing a barbell drop crash to the floor is not just loud, the shock of the sound can disturb the concentration of other lifters. You are not the only person in the room! Some jerk dropped his enormous dumbell on the floor when I was doing an over head press, startled me, and I almost dropped the barbell on my head. There's no need for that noise, and if you need, build your own home gym and do whatever you want.

THANK YOU!! finally someone with some sense
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options

Sorry I interrupted your reading
  • AmyP619
    AmyP619 Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    I can has cheezeburger?
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    those aren't gyms, they're cardio-centers
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

I honestly have to say I have never seen a flying dumbbell or barbell at any gym I have been to.

OP: try to find a different gym
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options

So Olympic lifts like the snatch and clean & jerk are "too heavy"?

What about the last rep of a set of heavy deadlifts?

Or a deadlift 1RM attempt?
  • FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    Let me know when you're deadlifting 350 plus quietly
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    you cant groan. you cant drop dumbbells. you cant I mean is it a GYM or a library. ... i mean dear god where is the hardcore proper barbell dumbbells and chalk mess on the floor
    whats ur opnion

I think your question kind of answers itself.
  • desiree7hanson
    desiree7hanson Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I love it when there are guys lifting the heaviest weights, then you look and they have chicken legs, or a big gut! Balance out the work-out man!!
  • dtf88
    dtf88 Posts: 53
    Options
    There are extremes to both sides. There are the people who feel the need to scream and be hardcore about lifting weights because for them that allows the mental aspect of training to give them a boost, which is fine if the entire gym is like that. On the other side, there are people who are new to training, have goals other than putting up big lifting numbers, and/or don't want to feel intimidation from more experienced lifters, which is fine as well.

Most gyms are somewhere in the middle, and in my opinion there should only be a few rules.

Rack your weights properly - put them back where you found them!! NOT THAT HARD!!!

Be courteous to other members, especially with machine use, i.e don't sit down on a bench and talk on the phone for 10 minutes, or wait 20 minutes between your sets.

Limit slamming your weights - I agree that slamming weights is annoying, but some exercises you can't help it, i.e if you are dead lifting 400+ pounds, it is going to make noise when it hits the ground even if you have complete control, not going for a 10 second negative here...

Grunting - I'm indifferent here, it doesn't really bother me but I understand how it is annoying to others. Breathing is very important when lifting, but people who scream lightweight like they're Ronnie Coleman...you are not and never will be Ronnie. People who scream like they are busting a nut make me laugh.