Did great..lost motivation...need help

Options
Hi.

38 year old man in the city of Chicago here. I initially did great on MFP and lost 32lbs, something I was very proud of. I injured my shoulder and couldn't work out as hard and have a very demanding job so found it hard to fit a decent workout into my schedule. Consquently, I put a lot of the weight back on and I'm struggling to get back on track. It was relatively easy to lose the weight initially, but I'm doing the same things (mostly) but it isn't shifting and I'm getting frustrated.

Any suggestions or help would be appreciated

Replies

• Hollander001
    Hollander001 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem, but I put myself in this stage of mind that every time I wanted to eat something bad I ask myself does my body really need this kind of food, which is no. Also I looked for a motivation and in my case was to be healthy for my family so I have the energy to keep up with the kids. You have the will power otherwise you wouldn't be here and you did it before so that is the first step, you can do it.
  • DirtyForWeeks
    DirtyForWeeks Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hey buddy, I know the feeling all too well. I hurt my back by an IED in IRAQ and have never been the same since. Once I was recovered I started up my routine for a while, but like you, it was the same routine.
    Once I started shifting workouts and started making it fun (go hard and clean, but make it fun), I started seeing results.
    I still have a long ways to go, about 30 pounds, but stick in there brother.
    Switch things up, rebuild that shoulder (dont baby it to a point) and set an end goal treat. (mine is a new tattoo. Wife hates it, but she will love the body)
  • mlclarke22
    mlclarke22 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    switch things up...your body just needs a change! you can do this if you really want to! good luck!!
    1258936 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    swift kick in the @ss, just for you. ;) j/k. I understand, once I give myself a little slack I just run away with it and before I know it, I'm off track. And it is super hard to pick back up again, I think the others are right, switch it up, make it fun and learn how to rebuild that injured shoulder! If you have insurance, I would ask for physical therapy. They'll kick your @ss for you. :)
    Best of luck!
  • lewcompton
    lewcompton Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Wait 'til you're 43 and add a zero to get weight... Destroyed my back, knees and ankles - football... Be diligent about food consumption. What works for me is to avoid hunger by eating six times per day small meals that always have protein and healthy fat. I also guzzle around double the amount of water called for... I got a pedometer and just started moving at first... Then added additional exercise as the weight came down. Taking glucosamine to help the repair of joints and trying to do lower impact exercise and it seems to be working. Good luck... I know how much pain sucks!
  • Amazonbella
    Options
    I am right there with you, after losing 60 lbs I torn my meniscus playing volleyball and needed surgery but didn't have insurance. THEN I broke my ankle and am finally back up walking and ready to shed the weight I put back on...we are all in this together!!! :)

ADD ME I love supporting and finding support and advice! :)
  • neilm04
    neilm04 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Wow. I'm glad I posted. Thanks for all the support. I'm having surgery on my shoulder on January 3rd which will eventually help with the working out. Thanks for the tips everyone.
  • gregarybrown72
    gregarybrown72 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Just like mlclarke22 stated, change things up. Chronic tendonitis in my launch knee (basketball) was my enemy, I changed up and started swimming and cycling. As the pounds came off, the tendontis went away and now I can hoop again. Good Luck.
  • NeverGivesUp
    NeverGivesUp Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    get lots of friends that inspire you every time you turn on the computer. Now it is easy to pick myself back up and my friends motivate me daily!! Reteach yourself how to crave and eat healthy foods so you never have to go through this again. Even if you can't work out giving yourself an excuse to eat too much is just that, an excuse. Getting back on the horse is an important and invaluable skill to learn.