What a smile can do - NSV

Options
I was in Wal Mart picking up some items when I walked by a little old lady in a wheelchair. Her daughter was pushing her around the store. The duo were taking a break from fighting the crowds. I looked at the lady in the wheelchair and smiled and looked away. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw her sit up and smile back, so I turned and smiled bigger and waved at her. She could barely wave back, but she tried.

A few minutes later I was standing in line and felt someone touch my arm. Turned around to see it was the daughter of the old lady. With tears in her eyes she said, my mother is 97 years old and says she doesn't have a lot to look forward to in life but when you smiled and said hello, it gives her hope to keep on living. I looked over her shoulder to see her mother in the wheel chair smiling and waving at me again. I waving back and yelled Merry Christmas. Man - that made my year!

What a difference a smile can make.

Replies

• deb3129
    deb3129 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    Oh, that is truly touching!! I also try to make a point of smiling at people, and some don't seem to care. But there have been times when I have smiled and spoken to someone, and could literally see them light up. You never know what others are going through, and may not realize how such a small thing can touch someone.
  • larryc0923
    larryc0923 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Wow!! Thank you for your act of kindness. It is amazing how it makes people feel better and the world a nicer place.
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    Oh my god!! I would've turned into a big heap of tears. That is the sweetest thing - both that you smiled and waved and that her daughter was so grateful. I never have nice, tender moments like this at Wal Mart!! :)
  • timeforsomethingsweet
    Options
    Love your story! Made my day complete! We need more people like you in the world =) Isnt it a fantastic feeling when you make someones day like that! Especially a complete stranger. Keep doing what you do! Oh and I Absolutely love your dogs too, so cute!! Have a wonderful day.
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    What a great story!!! so nice!!
  • PuggleLover
    PuggleLover Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    There are so many times when I feel like yelling at people to get out of my way... It's hard to be nice.
    But really, the great part of this story is the daughter came over to thank me. She didn't have to do that... but it was something that I'll never forget.
  • beproudbestrong
    Options
    Nice to know there are still sweet, kind poeople out in this world
  • Panda_1999
    Panda_1999 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    It is wonderful what a simple kindness can do. Thanks for sharing this moment here
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    How nice!
    A random act of kindness doesn't have to be anything big.

Karma is only a ***** if you are!
  • domgirl85
    domgirl85 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    OMG! You have me at my desk fighting tears! I WON'T CRY! :D
  • greenpointmoni
    Options
    What a great story! I should smile more at people. I think living in Brooklyn for so long has jaded me. No one smiles and says hi, and when someone does, it feels weird and creepy. Sometimes people smile at me and I always look away quickly and don't understand why or if they are smiling at me. It makes me very confused.
  • penguinlally
    penguinlally Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Wonderful - thank you so much for sharing..... I always try my best to be up and pleasant....and now I have a special goal....you made my day!
  • PuggleLover
    PuggleLover Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    @greenpointmon... I grew up in Boston and feel the same way sometimes when people look at me or smile. I used to ask my husband why people were starring at me or what do you think they want. He helped me realize, they just want to be nice. lol
  • SmileyJ23
    SmileyJ23 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    :):heart:
  • lenniebus
    lenniebus Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Awwww....that is so sweet. Good for you--good Karma for you for sure!
  • Flamenquero
    Options
    We greet people here in Texas regularly. At least that has been my experience. Walk past someone on the street and we usually say hello, good morning, good afternoon, and even howdy. OTOH, when I lived in New York greeting someone on the street was usually considered a prelude to a mugging.
  • juliedozier
    juliedozier Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing! A reaffirmation to always smile and be kind to others because we never know what they are going through. :)
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    Options
    I smile all the time (not because I am being nice to people but because I get nervous out in public and my automatic response is to smile when i'm nervous)......

that being said.....it's resulted in some really heartwarming and touching moments with small children and the elderly...

this is beautiful.
  • sunshinesquared
    sunshinesquared Posts: 2,733 Member
    Options
    Great story!!!! Thanks for sharing!

:cry: Now excuse me, while I go find a box of tissues...
  • LandonRand
    Options
    Awesome story! You never know how one person can make a big difference!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!