counting calories - how exact are you?

Options
muth3rluvx2
muth3rluvx2 Posts: 1,156 Member
Does anyone count sauces - I don't mean topped sauces like salad dressing but rather marinades, glazes, etc. and if so, how do you measure it/count it, etc?
Do you count "licks", "tastes", "bites" or "nibbles"? I just licked the spoon from making brownies for my boys (we didn't get a bday cake this year so this is sort of their treat in lieu of) - I'm not real incline to try to figure out if that was 5 calories worth of fat & sugar and processed crap I shouldn't consume or 10. Anyone else and if so, how?
Do you take a taste of your spouse's, partner's or child's super cheesy, rich, or highly fattening pasta, dessert or whatever ... just to taste it - and then count that?

Been wondering about these things for a while.

Replies

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,980 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: I count everything I put in my mouth including breath mints, cough drops, nibbles, tastes, bits, sauces, etc. I also don't eat anything that I haven't planned in advance. I don't eat food that is offered to me no matter how loving or benign. The calories add up.

I worked for me.:bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • Dom_m
    Dom_m Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Does anyone count sauces...
    Do you count "licks", "tastes", "bites" or "nibbles"? ...

Been wondering about these things for a while.

I count sauces generally, mostly because of the sodium (I use a lot of soy, black bean, oyster sauce etc). I typically enter it as 1 serve without bothering to measure. I think I usually use more than that ;)

For small things that I really can't be bothered about, or if I simply don't know what's in it, I make up some kind of generic meal with 100 calories per serve (serving size doesn't matter: call it "1 unit" if you want) and no other nutritional info. I use that as filler if I think I need it. If I had a bit of something really sweet from my friends dish, I might guess it had 20 cals. I could just add 0.2 serves of my generic meal. Sometimes I have a whole meal without really knowing what it is. In that case I might guess it had 400 cals, so I just enter 4 serves of Generic.

I try to avoid this in general, but it can cramp lifestyle sometimes to try to measure absolutely everything. You don't want to start licking the spoon too much though! That can add up. (sure you don't do this - I just don't want to sound like I'm endorsing people to :) )

Other than these rare occasions, I try to be pretty precise. I have to put up with a fair amount of mockery from my best friends. Especially when I don't let them fill up my beer until I finish because it throws out my count. I sit there at the bar flicking up the count on my iphone each time I fill up :)
    (watching that calorie budget drain away is great motivation for restricting the number of drinks!, but I digress...)
  • MiekeJ
    MiekeJ Posts: 139
    Options
    Hi there,

I have only been doing this for two days, but already - I try to be as precise as possible. Today for example, I had made myself a Ham and Salad wrap and I broke every ingredient down possible to find it's own individual calorie count! That was a tiring job!

However, I agree with Dom. If licking the spoon (especially of the brownie varieties, ha!) is too mind boggling to figure out, just try and avoid it as much as you can, or do the 'Generic Fill' thing and take a wild stab at what it could be.

I find this website very useful for products that don't come with a Nutritional label. You could probably find how many calories are in a 50g piece of brownie and then figure out the amout for say, 5g from there. Give it a go!

http://www.calorieking.com.au/foods/

M
  • pixiestick
    pixiestick Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    It's the uncounted licks and nibbles that sabotage weight loss efforts and create a false sense of "nothing is working"

Solution: train yourself not to lick, nibble, or taste unless you are will to count the calories. A variable in your lifestyle has to change in order for the weight to come off.

good luck.
  • deeann1459
    deeann1459 Posts: 116
    Options
    When I am counting calories, I count everything... down to how many pieces of sugar free gum I chew. If I am going to put the effort into counting what goes into me, I might as well count everything.

I am the type where nibbling and tasting will wreck a count though, so I have to go a little OCD for the most honest results.
  • mikewalk
    mikewalk Posts: 2
    Options
    Do you count "licks", "tastes", "bites" or "nibbles"? I just licked the spoon from making brownies for my boys (we didn't get a bday cake this year so this is sort of their treat in lieu of)
    This all adds up though.
    I had a really really bad habit of nibbling on the food i was cooking for a meal and of course i wondered why I put on the weight.
    Now I am VERY strict with my eating as I know I have a goal to go for! :)
  • SuzMcH
    SuzMcH Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I try to be as accurate as possible. But I don't count the nibbles and wee tastes etc. Or sugar free gum. Mostly I find that when I count a meal exactly I end up never clearing my plate and there is some left over so that makes up for the little nibbles.

I do count it if a I make up a sauce and if I don't know exactly I use a generic 100 cals like someone else has said.
  • missjenn
    missjenn Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I counted everything but gum in the beginning. I lost 32 pounds and am working on maintaining. I still count most things but do estimate sometimes like with fruit and even dressings. If I start to gain I will go back to counting everything. So far so good though.

I don't count licks/nibbles. I know these can add up but I didn't have a problem losing so I guess I don't lick/nibble too much. :)
  • LongMom
    LongMom Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I don't count liks/nibbles/bites/some sauces however,

a) I'm relaxed about a LOT of things, I sometimes guestimate, I don't log my daily tea etc.

b) My husband cooks, so I don't have as many opportunities to "taste" my creations :)

c) I'm a slow loser - relatively speaking

d) I have two small kids who are like seagulls (mine!mine!mine!) and they eat a lot of bites of my stuff - so I rationalize it as only fair to not log my licks/bites lol

I have successfully lost weight in the past but again, it was a very long and slow process. Being this way helps me when I have to transition back to maintenance. For the record, I successfully mainted a 52lb loss for 4 years before those seagulls came along :)
  • mama22girlz
    mama22girlz Posts: 291
    Options
    d) I have two small kids who are like seagulls (mine!mine!mine!) and they eat a lot of bites of my stuff - so I rationalize it as only fair to not log my licks/bites lol

I have successfully lost weight in the past but again, it was a very long and slow process. Being this way helps me when I have to transition back to maintenance. For the record, I successfully mainted a 52lb loss for 4 years before those seagulls came along :)

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: thats perfect Sarah. I was calling mine a parana but seagull is a better term. I log most things, but the little licks ect not so much, If I start to plateau then I might but if I start to feel like I'm being a food nazi (for lack of a better term) then I really wont stick with this. SO for me I try not to do those little licks but if I do, I let it go. Like Sarah I don't take off those bites my kids steal from my meal or the bit left over on my plate either.
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    I log everything except my black coffee. Even a teaspoon of mustard (5 calories) or 5 green olives (25 calories). I don't "nibble" or "taste" anything that isn't part of my planned meal.
  • muth3rluvx2
    muth3rluvx2 Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    Wow - lots of variety on this.

I'm not a big nibbler/taster - so I don't really count those just because they're so infrequent.

I don't count sauces like bbq, boyfriend-made glazes, and so on just because I have no clue HOW to count it.. it's flavoring... grf.

I'm somewhere between "nazi" and "relaxed". I log all of my "real" food. I don't eat my kids leftovers (unless I haven't eaten and that's what's in front of me when hungry).

I hope to hear more responses!!!
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options
    I'm a little OCD...I log it to the T, or I don't eat it.