Ground Beef Question

Options
LongMom
LongMom Posts: 408 Member
So my hubby bought a half a cow from a friend we know, raised them himself - great meat!

Does anyone know what kind of ground beef comes right from the cow? Is it lean? Extra lean? Regular?

Thanks!

Replies

• ZebraHead
    ZebraHead Posts: 15,207 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I'm no expert but I think the amount of fat/lean is determined by what the butcher added to the beef and what cut/trim the meat has during the grinding process.

Half a cow?! I'm jealous. :happy:
  • hill242
    hill242 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I am not all that knowlegable about butchery, but the amount of fat in the ground meat will depend on what part of the cow the "whole" meat came from. Just like buying a steak -- some cuts will be fattier than others.
  • Behavior_Modification
    Behavior_Modification Posts: 24,482 Member
    Options
    Each cut of beef from the cow is going to have a different fat content. Then they make ground beef from various parts. For example when you go to the grocery store, you can buy ground sirloin (which is the leanest) and then ground round (next best) and regular ground beef (most of which is 20/80) (20% fat, 80% beef). You'll have to check w/ the butcher to see which cut(s) he made into the ground beef packages for you. Most likely he did the fattier cuts since the leaner ones are mostly kept for steaks.
  • mariena
    mariena Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    The ground meat is made up of what is left over once the choice meat has been butchered for steaks, roasts etc. It is the scrap meat left around the bones and such. You need to specify to your butcher how you would like your ground meat. They will do it lean for you if you request. Same goes for any other animal you buy like pork or if you are having them make sausage with the scraps too.
  • mama22girlz
    mama22girlz Posts: 291
    Options
    guess you'll just have to make me something to eat and we can see how much fat comes off as you cook it :wink:
  • LongMom
    LongMom Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info!!! I need to get my hubby to be more specific next year with what WE want - it was our first time.

I'm going to ask him to ask his friend if he knows the cuts of the beef he gave us this year, but I'm going to assume it's the "worst" since we got a LOT of steaks/roasts etc.

Kim, it's a date ;)
  • Vallandingham
    Vallandingham Posts: 2,177
    Options
    It all depends on how your butcher trims the beef.