Anyone else taking Levothyroxine for Hypothyroidism help!!!

Options
2»

Replies

• dc729
    dc729 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I've been on 75mcg levothyroxin for the past 12 years and have never had any problems or side effects. I'd contact your doctor.....
  • KristyHumphrey
    KristyHumphrey Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I take 150mcg daily. I was diagnosed in 2005. I don't recall anything making me sick at all. Hmm...I would call your doctor for sure. I remember when I was first diagnosed, I had to get tested every 3 months to figure out the proper medication. I always take it first thing in the morning with lots of water and wait at least an hour to eat. Maybe its too much for you?? Good luck!!
  • ljbj12
    ljbj12 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I am now on natural dessicated thyroid (Armour and/ or compounding pharmacy), but for a while was on Levothyroxine. It didn't take me off my food - but I lost a lot of hair. My hair is already pretty thin . . . but for more than a year, my husband could see my scalp! That was not helpful. Also, even though my blood tests came back really good, levothy also gave me horrible insomnia. The combination was not good for me.
  • gailmelanie
    gailmelanie Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I was on it for Hashimoto's - had to change to Armour..... Levo was making me sick. Switched to Armour 8mths ago and feel much better.

THIS^^ MOST people can not tolerate T4 meds only. Most do well on a t4/t3 combo. I myself am on T3 only meds because I had a bad Reverse T3 issue. Visit http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com for A LOT of good info on thyroid disease. Ask your doc if they will rx you generic Armour. I've also used NP Thyroid which is considered a generic form of Armour. Very good meds. Also, the food sensitivities may be hypo related. Do you have Hashimotos? Which is determined by the antibodies blood test (can't remember specifically which one Tpo?)
    Part of the problem here is that some doctors don't do a thorough enough evaluation of which hormones are out of balance. Your thyroid makes several as the gal above mentioned. I have been having success with liothyronine. It doesn't make a dramatic difference and it's really not supposed to. Hormones are powerful but often subtle in their effect. It is a little easier now for me to lose weight, but not a lot. Mostly I just feel less sluggish and overall feel well. I go to a medical practice that specializes in bioidentical hormones and they have done very thorough investigation into many different blood levels of all kinds of blood chemistry and titers to see what might be influencing the hormonal imbalance. Chronic pain was my priority in seeing them in the first place and it was discovered in the process that I have a type of hypothyroidism not always tested for. In helping me with that and the secondary quest to lose weight, my pain is reduced, too. As some of the other folks have said, too, it is recommended that you take your medication on an empty stomach either an hour before or two hours after a meal. AM is better than PM.
  • dietpepsi100
    dietpepsi100 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I HAVE BEEN TAKING 150 MCG. WAS INSTRUCTED TO TAKE IT ON AN EMPTY STOMACH AND NOT EAT ANYTHING FOR 30 MINUTES. I TAKE IT WHEN I GET UP. YOUR ON A FAIRLY LOW DOSE I WOULD CONSULT MY DR. SOUNDS LIKE SOMETHING ELSE MAYBE GOING ON. COULD BE NOT RELATED TO YOUR NEW MEDS AT ALL. BEST OF LUCK.
  • 2b2woods
    2b2woods Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Glad to hear that someone else has had hair loss problems (sorry....). Within the last year, I have lost at least half of my hair. Doctor sends me for more blood work. Then blood work again. Just upped my dosage to 150 and said it would solve it and my hair would come back. It has not. I tried asking about the T3/T4 combo, etc. but he seems to think he's got it. I, on the other hand, am not so sure and here I am with very little hair on the top of my head!! Not a good look.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    I was on it for Hashimoto's - had to change to Armour..... Levo was making me sick. Switched to Armour 8mths ago and feel much better.

Me too
  • AmberMahfouz
    Options
    I've been on it after having my thyroid removed 3 yrs ago.. At this point I am pretty regulated, but it took me about a year.. You will find your hormones and tastebuds and weight fluctuating a little bit more..

I lost a good bit of hair, it all came back eventually, but is definitely a little bit thinner..

Also, it doesn't keep you from losing weight, just makes it a little more difficult, but does help you maintain that weight easier.

Good luck!
  • MrsG2
    MrsG2 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I've been taking a fairly high dose of levothyroxine for about 20 years and I don't have any issues. I guess I'm lucky and I wish you luck with getting it worked out!
  • SusanneWhittington
    SusanneWhittington Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I am on 137 mg since 5 years and so far I only felt sick from food when I did not wait long enough between eating and taking the medicine. I usually take my pill and eat approx. 45 to 60 min later and don't have problems then.
  • pinky_pie
    Options
    Consult your doctor about these side effects, and if you are taking any other medications which would interact poorly with the thyroxine. I've been on levothyroxine for years because of my underactive thyroid and have never had what you've described.