Breaking up my workouts?

Options
We just got an ellilptical and I find that I can't go for much longer than 20 minutes at a time.
Is it ok to do two 20 minute workouts in a day, or should I really be trying to push it longer? Aside from physically, logistically it's also easier to break it up (I do it when my daughter naps).

Replies

• manderpander22
    Options
    I have seen many different answers to this question, each one contradicting the last. I would say everyone is different and you need to do what works for you. I actually work out 2-3 times per day and that works for me. Make sure you are giving it all you've got for the 20 minutes and see what happens. If you don't see any results then you may need to try something else.
  • sweetbn
    sweetbn Posts: 318
    Options
    Everything I've read says it is acceptable to break it up into smaller sessions (and its definitely better than not doing it at all).

Plus "they" say that getting your heart rate up for at least 20 is essential. Well you're there - twice. :)

And technically, it should burn the same amount of calories, although perhaps your endurance may improve faster if you went longer.

I say just keep it up - do it when you can - that is what is most important.
  • lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    Everything I've read says it is acceptable to break it up into smaller sessions (and its definitely better than not doing it at all).

Plus "they" say that getting your heart rate up for at least 20 is essential. Well you're there - twice. :)

And technically, it should burn the same amount of calories, although perhaps your endurance may improve faster if you went longer.

I say just keep it up - do it when you can - that is what is most important.
    I agree. And after a while you'll find that you'l build up stamina to where you can go longer than 20 mins. I used to last no longer than 20 mins and just yesterday I did 45! Just do what you can when you can and you'll be fine. Like sweetbn said, it's better than nothing!
  • mariena
    mariena Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I say, do whatever fits in your schedule. Two 20 min sessions is better than nothing. BUT I do urge you to try to slowly increase the amount of time you exercise. Your heart and lungs will thank you for it in the long run!