macronutrients: 10% fat / 45% carbs / 45% protein

Options
My daily caloric intake includes 10% fat, 45% carbs, and 45% protein. I am on a 1200 calorie a day diet. MFP suggests 30% fat, 55% carbs, and 15% protein... is this okay?

breakfast: 4oz nonfat vanilla yogurt

lunch: 1 4/5 cup black beans w/ 5oz chicken breast

dinner: 16oz egg whites and 2 mushroom "burgers" ( 1 sandwich = 100% whole wheat bun, 3.32oz mushrooms, 1 slice cheese, onions, and 1 tbsp fat free sour cream

OR

lunch: 1 4/5 cup navy beans w/ 5 oz chicken breast

dinner: 16 oz egg whites and 2 veggie burgers (1 sandwich = 100% whole wheat bun, 1 Boca veggie burger, spicy mustard and 1 slice of cheese)

Any critiques?

Replies

• Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Dietary fat is required for hormone production. 13g of fat a day is a terrible idea. I would set it to 25% minimum.

1200 cals a day probably isn't the best idea either, unless you plan on eating more on the days you exercise.
  • thedreamhazer
    thedreamhazer Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    I would eat more calories and more fat. I personally try to eat no less than 50g fat per day.
  • kellis155
    Options
    Why are you keeping your fat % so low? Is there a medical reason?
  • JoyousRen
    JoyousRen Posts: 3,823 Member
    Options
    More fat. It's generally recommended to have 20-30% of your calories from healthy fat sources.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Definitely up that fat. I would say 20-25% as the minimum. Making fats only 10% of your intake for prolonged periods of time can have some pretty dyer consequences.
  • bridgelene
    bridgelene Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Unless it's contraindicated (by your doctor/RD/or nutritionist) I would up your fat. It is the brain's preferred/primary source of fuel.

Also, (of course as with the first one, unless otherwise instructed by your doctor or RD) listen to your body if you're going with 1200 calories. And give it more fuel (energy.....calories) if it needs it. You wouldn't try to drive a car without fuel in it, and the same should be said for your body.
  • lacurandera1
    lacurandera1 Posts: 8,083 Member
    Options
    What they said. ^ reasons to not eat so low fat include - poor vitamin absorption, depression, risk of overeating, increased cancer risk, high cholesterol and heart disease, and imbalance of nutrients.

I say, inform yourself before you make rash decisions. Here's a link.

http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/nutrition_articles.asp?id=60
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    Unless it's contraindicated (by your doctor/RD/or nutritionist) I would up your fat. It is the brain's preferred/primary source of fuel.

Also, (of course as with the first one, unless otherwise instructed by your doctor or RD) listen to your body if you're going with 1200 calories. And give it more fuel (energy.....calories) if it needs it. You wouldn't try to drive a car without fuel in it, and the same should be said for your body.

While it's not the brain's primary source of fuel (unless you're doing a keto diet and using ketones for energy), I do agree with your recommendation for increased fat and calories. Fat is important for the absorption of fat soluble vitamins and for proper endocrine functioning.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options

No, glucose is.
    Options
    My daily caloric intake includes 10% fat, 45% carbs, and 45% protein. I am on a 1200 calorie a day diet. MFP suggests 30% fat, 55% carbs, and 15% protein... is this okay?

lunch: 1 4/5 cup black beans w/ 5oz chicken breast

dinner: 16oz egg whites and 2 mushroom "burgers" ( 1 sandwich = 100% whole wheat bun, 3.32oz mushrooms, 1 slice cheese, onions, and 1 tbsp fat free sour cream

OR

lunch: 1 4/5 cup navy beans w/ 5 oz chicken breast

dinner: 16 oz egg whites and 2 veggie burgers (1 sandwich = 100% whole wheat bun, 1 Boca veggie burger, spicy mustard and 1 slice of cheese)

Any critiques?

Looking at your ticker you're approx 190 pounds--at 1200 calories you're eating less than your BMR. I would definitely increase your calories--mostly by adding in fat. adding 50 grams would get you to 1650 calories which is much more appropriate for your current size (probably still a bit low if I'm being honest).
  • dietenv
    dietenv Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    No real reason for eating low fat... it's just food that I really like and it just happens to total 15-23 grams of fat per day. Also, I work A LOT of hours at what is, mostly, a desk job and do not exercise. Thanks for all of your suggestions... I will take them into consideration!
    Options
    No real reason for eating low fat... it's just food that I really like and it just happens to total 15-23 grams of fat per day. Also, I work A LOT of hours at what is, mostly, a desk job and do not exercise. Thanks for all of your suggestions... I will take them into consideration!

Nuts, peanut butter, avocado, seeds, olive oil, hummus, guacamole, olives-- all are high in fat and portable.
  • gauchogirl
    gauchogirl Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I'll second (and third) what the others are saying: dietary fat does not make you fat. And could hinder your loss.
    My macros are set on 60% fat, 20% protein and 20% carbs and I have no problem losing (and great bloodwork numbers.) A typical day I will often go over on fat and under on carbs, though not intentionally. It's just how I eat to satisfy me.

Plus, there are many fat-soluble vitamins you aren't able to use efficiently without more healthy fats in your diet.
  • dietenv
    Options
    I actually work a lot of hours at a desk job and do not exercise. 1200 calories still too little? Thanks for the advice!
  • Fit_And_Heathy_Goalie
    Options
    I would suggest resetting your macros to 30% fat/40% carbs/40% protein. Your body needs the good fats (nuts, EVOO, avacados, etc)! Adding healthy fats into your diet will curb your appetite too! If you need ideas, my diary is open. I'm eating 1,200-1,300 daily.
  • dietenv
    Options
    I guess I should mention that I eat differently on 2 days of the week. On those days, I actually usually eat nuts, avocado, various raw vegetables, hummus, whole wheat crackers, shrimp, fish, etc but try to stay calorie conscious at about 1500-1900 calories.
  • EndlessSacrifice
    Options
    Not enough calories.

Not enough fat.

End of story.
  • dietenv
    Options
    I would suggest resetting your macros to 30% fat/40% carbs/40% protein. Your body needs the good fats (nuts, EVOO, avacados, etc)! Adding healthy fats into your diet will curb your appetite too! If you need ideas, my diary is open. I'm eating 1,200-1,300 daily.

Great, thanks!
  • EndlessSacrifice
    Options
    I guess I should mention that I eat differently on 2 days of the week. On those days, I actually usually eat nuts, avocado, various raw vegetables, hummus, whole wheat crackers, shrimp, fish, etc but try to stay calorie conscious at about 1500-1900 calories.

You should eat that way every day.
  • dietenv
    Options
    Dietary fat is required for hormone production. 13g of fat a day is a terrible idea. I would set it to 25% minimum.

1200 cals a day probably isn't the best idea either, unless you plan on eating more on the days you exercise.

I actually work a lot of hours at a desk job and do not exercise. 1200 calories still too little? Thanks for the advice!