why have gym lost the hardcore feel

Options

Replies

• Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    If you have to DROP the weight, or throw the weight down, it is too damn heavy. When I hear stuff crash to the floor after a gut wrenching grunt, I kinda want to look around and see who is dying on the floor.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRCnnYOiXB2BeyDbn87imCpjxnPkyX4foqpOp0xedP3B4ZfWR4K

Or maybe the weights were not to heavy and he/her is just pushing themselfs and pushed his/her threshold to the max kind of like your supposed to do to when you lift weights to create muscle trama and muscle fatigue thus causing him/her to not have the energy to gently set them down as to not upset the nannies in the gym who think he/she is lifting to heavy in a public gym mind you.

[biting tongue to prevent turning into the grammar police]

I totally understand about pushing your limits and creating muscle trauma. That doesn't mean that you can't dial it down a few lbs and not grunt THAT loud, or throw it down on just about every rep. AND, I shouldn't have to worry about flying/rolling dumbbells as I am walking through the gym...

Sorry I interrupted your reading

what is THAT supposed to mean? The run on sentence and grammar issues make my head hurt.

I have only been lifting for a few months, but even when I am breaking a PR, and leg pressing more than my body weight, I don't grunt like I am giving birth to a weight plate.

I requested to make run-on sentences a forums rule, but they turned me down.

For your information, it is grammatically incorrect to use a comma before the word 'but' as the word 'but' substitutes the comma. Furthermore, it is grammatically incorrect to start a new sentence with 'But' and so therefore neither sentence above can be classified as a run-on sentence; just sayin'.

You can of course substitute 'but' with a semi-colon like what I did above.

Also, I wouldn't mind meatheads throwing weights around, or throwing their weight around, so long as I could still do Yoga in the squat rack.

Om Shanti :flowerforyou:
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    Moaning about noise in the gym? The only words that come to mind in response to that are: man up.

WOW a hot *kitten* girl that thinks like this^^^ and here I thought your type was a myth.. Bestow my beating heart. :love: :flowerforyou: :love:
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    My suggestion, like everyone else, find a different gym.

Gym's are now geared towards making everyone comfortable.. be it if you are a teenager or a senior citizen.

The whole reason why I'm leaving my gym is because I can never get near the damn barbells or free weights, due to the meatheads always crowded around them. If I wanted to work out on weight machines only, my gym would be perfect.. but unfortunately I don't!
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    The YMCA's I go to have some serious lifters and I don't consider the place hardcore. All they really ask is that you put stuff back where you found it, and that you wipe your stank off the machines & benches when you're done with them.

I guess I don't know why you would expect to go into a public exercise facility and not expect to see and hear grunting, sweating, dropping of weights, people breathing hard, and other things that people do when they're getting after it. Like the OP said, it's a gym not a library.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options

Gym's are now geared towards making everyone comfortable.. be it if you are a teenager or a senior citizen.

The whole reason why I'm leaving my gym is because I can never get near the damn barbells or free weights, due to the meatheads always crowded around them. If I wanted to work out on weight machines only, my gym would be perfect.. but unfortunately I don't!

if you can't get on a barbell station, how did they?
  • wellbert
    Options
    I did the guest pass thing at 24 hr/Crunch/Planet Fitness and realized that environment was not conducive to my goals. I wanna look like Bruce Lee and would rather be around people who are killing it. I wish there was a gym for skinny people who like to slap their chest during a workout and grit their teeth in the mirror. It's either you're a meathead or cardio queen/king. :(

well, you'll have to eat a lot of carbs, work out constantly, and take a pretty steady supply of steroids.
    Just don't destroy your back getting greedy with Good Mornings like he did.
  • riveraphx
    riveraphx Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I always think the guy grunting the loudest in the gym is some sort of attention seeker or has maybe the same issue as the guy driving the monster truck if you know what I mean. :laugh:
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options

if you can't get on a barbell station, how did they?

Damn luck.

It's like once you get a piece of a equipment, the point is to stay there as long as possible.....and bring friends to work in with you so that no one else can use it.

Plus I have a specific time frame.. and don't have time to wait around for the line of 20 people to finish their workouts before I can finally get near one of the squat racks.
  • ruststar
    ruststar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I read one post on this thread that weight lifters need to be considerate of others with all the noise they make. Maybe you need to understand that when you've got 85's in each hand and you've reached failure, their is no putting them down lightly. This is the reality of joining a gym. Some people are doing cardio or resistance machines which make less noise, and some are working with heavy weights. You always have the option to wear headphones, do your cardio at home or run a couple miles if you can't deal with the meatheads and their noises. Because they're not going anywhere, and they've got the same right to train hard as you do.

I'm in the same weight room with the meatheads lifting heavy weights myself and I see a HUGE difference between a little clanking when you set a heavy weight down and dropping them down on purpose and grunting like you just felled a woolly mammoth. I work out at a small community gym where every area is in sight and earshot of each other, and it's just not appropriate in that venue. There are gyms where that is all you'll find - no offensive cardio machines to bother the "hard-core" types, where grunting and slamming is the norm. But in my gym it's clearly marked what the expectations are and the rules are there for a reason - excessive noise is rarely a problem. It's part of why I like the place. We can all lift in peace.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    If you have to DROP the weight, or throw the weight down, it is too damn heavy. When I hear stuff crash to the floor after a gut wrenching grunt, I kinda want to look around and see who is dying on the floor.

Or maybe the weights were not to heavy and he/her is just pushing themselfs and pushed his/her threshold to the max kind of like your supposed to do to when you lift weights to create muscle trama and muscle fatigue thus causing him/her to not have the energy to gently set them down as to not upset the nannies in the gym who think he/she is lifting to heavy in a public gym mind you.

I totally understand about pushing your limits and creating muscle trauma. That doesn't mean that you can't dial it down a few lbs and not grunt THAT loud, or throw it down on just about every rep. AND, I shouldn't have to worry about flying/rolling dumbbells as I am walking through the gym...

what is THAT supposed to mean? The run on sentence and grammar issues make my head hurt.

I have only been lifting for a few months, but even when I am breaking a PR, and leg pressing more than my body weight, I don't grunt like I am giving birth to a weight plate.
    Well, you wouldn't like my guttural roars when I leg press 3 times my body weight or Deadlift over 400lbs. And I drop the 100lb dumbbells. Sorry. Not.
  • Easywider
    Easywider Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Let me know when you're deadlifting 350 plus quietly

Not that hard.

Agreed.
  • FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options

LOL@leg pressing your own weight
  • FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options

Not that hard.

Agreed.

I'm sure you both put it down as gently as a feather your first times.
  • elprincipito
    elprincipito Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    my gym is hardcore brah, my buds sit on my back as i do my calf raises.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options

LOL@leg pressing your own weight

Lol. Like really. Oh I grunt and moan and make it look damn sexy.
  • Easywider
    Easywider Posts: 434 Member
    Options

Not that hard.

Agreed.

I'm sure you both put it down as gently as a feather your first times.

Maybe not...but I try to be considerate and not draw attention to myself. I'm also believer in progressive resistance, and form/contraction over weight. In my opinion, the weight will always be there when I'm ready to handle it proper.
  • wellbert
    Options
    When I'm done building my weight lifting gym, it's going to be hard core.
    We'll have a guy that goes around to all the power racks and punches you in the junk between sets.
  • Bronx_Montgomery
    Bronx_Montgomery Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    If you have to DROP the weight, or throw the weight down, it is too damn heavy.

Or maybe the weights were not to heavy and him/her is just pushing themselfs and pushed his/her threshold to the max kind of like your supposed to do to when you lift weights to create muscle trama and muscle fatigue thus causing him/her to not have the energy to gently set them down as to not upset the nannies in the PUBLIC gym who think he/she is lifting to heavy.

black-preacher-meme-generator-preach-it-brother-84c7bf.jpg?1335846918.jpg
  • Jongfaith
    Options
    Happy to go to a gym where these things are not allowed and I see lots of ripped guys and girls lifting more than I would think possible!

If that makes my gum less hardcore... YAY for it!
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    When I'm done building my weight lifting gym, it's going to be hard core.
    We'll have a guy that goes around to all the power racks and punches you in the junk between sets.

Sounds hardcore!

Seriously though, if you're concentrating on the noises that others are making, you're not really concentrating on your own workout properly.

Grow up, learn some focus and get the most out of your own workout without being weak-minded enough to blame others for your short-comings.