May 30th MFP runner's Club

Options
Mireille
Mireille Posts: 5,134 Member
Morning,

I'm a little annoyed this morning. I was heading out the door for my run at 6:30am this morning and my DH stops me and says he has a 7am appointment at the gym. Can we say sabotage!!!
Why couldn't he tell me this last night?

So now I'm debating on getting on the elliptical or going running with my little girl when he gets home.The problem is if I wait to go running, it's going to put me behind 1 1/2 hours. Grrrrrrrrrr................:explode:

Replies

• Mireille
    Options
    Morning,

I'm a little annoyed this morning. I was heading out the door for my run at 6:30am this morning and my DH stops me and says he has a 7am appointment at the gym. Can we say sabotage!!!

So now I'm debating on getting on the elliptical or going running with my little girl when he gets home.The problem is if I wait to go running, it's going to put me behind 1 1/2 hours. Grrrrrrrrrr................:explode:
  • buckeyebabe
    buckeyebabe Posts: 235
    Options
    Seize the moment ....do what you can when you can. I always find when I put it off it often doesn't get done because of all the other things that seem to pop up and need to be dealt with.

I am running here at 9 AM. Get the kids on the bus and away I will go.
  • mking
    mking Posts: 45
    Options
    :smile: Try to make time for yourself to run tonight. You just have to find the time. I find that if I have to run later in the day that if I do it before dinner I seem to fit in it. After dinner sometimes you just don't feel like it!:grumble:

I won't be running today because I'm running my first 5K tommorow with my husband. I ran yesterday, but couldn't make it all the way. I had worked nights the night before and was running on 1 hour of sleep, but I did nmake it most of the way before I had to switch to walk/run. Hopefully tommorow will be better. Any suggestions on running your first 5K?

Have a great day, and run tonight:happy:
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    Morning,

Oh that stinks, Mireille!! I say go as soon as he gets home. Make sure his dinner is late tonight too. (lol)

Well, ya'll motivated me to get up early (out the door at 4:55) and got a 5k in this morning! (WOOOT) Great way to start the day! :drinker:
  • Shannon023
    Options
    :smile: Try to make time for yourself to run tonight. You just have to find the time. I find that if I have to run later in the day that if I do it before dinner I seem to fit in it. After dinner sometimes you just don't feel like it!:grumble:

I won't be running today because I'm running my first 5K tommorow with my husband. I ran yesterday, but couldn't make it all the way. I had worked nights the night before and was running on 1 hour of sleep, but I did nmake it most of the way before I had to switch to walk/run. Hopefully tommorow will be better. Any suggestions on running your first 5K?

Hi mking! :smile:

Good luck on your first 5k!! Organized runs are a blast!

What works for me, on flat areas or down hills is to lenghten my stride and speed up just a bit. Also, keep your arms pumping a little stronger on the uphills.

Have fun! :flowerforyou:
  • Mireille
    Options
    Thanks everyone for their input.
    I managed not to eat everything in sight cuz I'm upset. I'm fully dressed with my running shoes on and as soon as he walks through the door we are going to run. By the way Shannon, he ain't getting no dinner tonight! lol

Congrats to everyone who already got their run in already and good luck to those going soon!!

Mking good luck on your 5k tomorrow, you will do great!!

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • pam0206
    pam0206 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    Woop Woop!!

Good morning, Lovelies. Good Job to all you ladies who've already run and those who plan to run. I'm not sure I'll be logging any miles today, but I'll be running with you guys in spirit!

Babe, Shannon and Mireille! You guys rock!
    Mking: Good luck on your run tomorrow. I'm proud of you for signing up! Let us know how it goes.
    :flowerforyou:
  • kechiemc
    kechiemc Posts: 1,355 Member
    Options
    Happy Friday

I am so proud of everyone who got out or who plans to get out today.:flowerforyou:

I ran 3 miles bright and early this morning. It was special because my running buddy didn't go with me today. I am proud of myself for going even though she didn't.<patting myself on the back>

First 5Ks are fun. My best advice is to start out slow. Hold yourself back. This won't be easy. But you will be rewarded when in the second mile you get the opportunity to pass those who went out too fast .

After you complete the first mile, start looking for a few people to pass.

Finish strong. When you get close to the end, run like someone is chasing you.

Relax and concentrate on your form. Don't tense up your shoulders. Keep them low and loose. Don't slouch. Keep your middle straight so you can breathe better.

Breathe. Breathe. Breathe.

If you start getting tense or tired, break the race up. Concentrate on feeling great and running to the end of the road. Once you get to the end of the road, do it again. Concentrate on feeling great and running to the next landmark.

Have fun! Can't wait to hear all about it.

Enjoy the day
    -Kechie.
  • Mireille
    Options
    Okay, just got back. I ran about 4.5 miles. I am so grateful we have this club because I could have easily said "screw it" and not gone at all.
    My daughter talked the whole time I was running, she almost sounded like Stewie from the Family Guy but without the sarcasm. lol

Well, thanks for the support, you gals rock!!

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • Shannon023
    Options
    Okay, just got back. I ran about 4.5 miles. I am so grateful we have this club because I could have easily said "screw it" and not gone at all.
    My daughter talked the whole time I was running, she almost sounded like Stewie from the Family Guy but without the sarcasm. lol

Well, thanks for the support, you gals rock!!

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Good job!!! boogiesmilie.gif

I've been eating like it's my new profession lately, so I'm REALLLLLY glad I got out this morning. :drinker:
  • thalli1
    thalli1 Posts: 332 Member
    Options

I find that I always run faster than normal in an organized run. I think it's the adrenaline, or the other people around you, or the excitement of the challenge. They are really fun and I always do better than when I normally go running. Good luck, and have fun!:flowerforyou:
  • samccarthy
    samccarthy Posts: 34
    Options
    Good morning!! I ran 4.5 miles on the treadmill this am. I was aiming for 4.0 because I woke up with a migraine, but thanks to a Relpax and Bleeding Love, which came on my iPod at 4.0 miles, I was able to stick with it and made it the last half mile. Thanks for being here for me to report in!

Sheryl
  • Shannon023
    Options
    Woop Woop!!

Good morning, Lovelies. Good Job to all you ladies who've already run and those who plan to run. I'm not sure I'll be logging any miles today, but I'll be running with you guys in spirit!

Mking: Good luck on your run tomorrow. I'm proud of you for signing up! Let us know how it goes.

You better if you hit that Italian restaurant tonight! :wink:

Every Friday night is Pizza/movie night at our house. My daughter lives for it, but I'm soooo tired of pizza, but too lazy to do anything else. rolleyes.gif
  • kechiemc
    kechiemc Posts: 1,355 Member
    Options
    Tired of pizza?:noway:

Tonight we will eat pizza and drink pepsi!:drinker: I call it "pizza and pepsi night".

Enjoy the day
    -Kechie.
  • pam0206
    pam0206 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    Woop Woop!!

You better if you hit that Italian restaurant tonight! :wink:

Every Friday night is Pizza/movie night at our house. My daughter lives for it, but I'm soooo tired of pizza, but too lazy to do anything else. rolleyes.gif

Ah heck, you know I can't go without you. :wink:

Enjoy your pizza.:heart:
  • buckeyebabe
    buckeyebabe Posts: 235
    Options
    I got 4.5 miles in today! Yea! I thought it was going to be difficult since it's hot and my asthma is kicking but I actually was beating my pace by 30 seconds per mile!! :drinker:

Hey MKing! Good luck tomorrow on the run! Remember we are all going to be running with you in spirit...pushing you to do the distance.

My advice...watch your pace. Start steady, don't try and push yourself right off the line, get into your mojo and then with 1 - 3/4 mile left you need to start pushing it a little harder, a little stronger but do it slow and easy so you don't burn out the energy! Kechie is absolutely right, stay loose and relaxed....if you tense up your muscles then you will burn out before it's over. Make sure you are in step with your normal breathing pattern (if you don't have a heart monitor or pace watch). Breathe easily and slowly in and out so that you don't get winded or hyperventilate!!

I'm sure that you will do fine! Just remember to run your own race and forget the others around you. Let us know how it goes tomorrow! I'm rooting for you!!

buckeye
  • mking
    mking Posts: 45
    Options
    :happy: Good Morning! I just wanted to take a moment to thank everyone on their advice, helpfulness and suggestions about running my first 5K.

Well I did it! I couldn't have done it without my husband at my side! It was nice to do something together since we always seem to be doing something for our 4 children. I ran the 5K, stopping just 2-3 times for a 10 second walk in the first leg of the race. Alot of hills!!! It was in the countryside, but such a beautiful run. I finished just under 32 minutes and came in 72nd out of 120. I just had a few goals. I didn't want to finish last and I wanted to finish under 45 min-so I met those goals::bigsmile: . I am going to run another race soon with my husband. He was such a great coach! He could have finished under 23 minutes, but he waited with me, Thanks again, Have a great day!

Melissa