Will getting a Personal trainer help ?

Options
I think I am reasonably motivated but I don't do much weights.It is mostly cardio.I have lost over 8 lbs in 3 months and the guy at the gym has been convincing me to get a few trainer sessions(You all know the selling pitch) but I was wondering if that would make a big difference as I do have enough diet and nutrition information.

All I need is someone that can help me with weight training.I am a woman btw.

Will paying $650/- for 10 sessions at my 24 hr fitness actually help me ?

Replies

• Cindy_ram
    Cindy_ram Posts: 10
    Options
    I think I am reasonably motivated but I don't do much weights.It is mostly cardio.I have lost over 8 lbs in 3 months and the guy at the gym has been convincing me to get a few trainer sessions(You all know the selling pitch) but I was wondering if that would make a big difference as I do have enough diet and nutrition information.

All I need is someone that can help me with weight training.I am a woman btw.

Will paying $650/- for 10 sessions at my 24 hr fitness actually help me ?
  • Helawat
    Helawat Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Oh goodness, that's a lot of money. $650.00 for 10 sessions is not worth it if you're motivated enough.

Since you're a member at 24 hour fitness, why not attend a fitness class that incorporates weights? For example, I do a lot of step'n'strengthen where the first 45 minutes is step aerobics and the last 15 are free weights.

The instructor will help you with weight training, answer questions, and you'll meet other women/men with many of the same fitness goals as you.

You can look at the class schedule here:
    http://www.24hourfitness.com/classes/strength/index.html
  • countrymusicgirl
    Options
    Everyone I know who has had a personal trainer didn't stay with them for long - that's not saying there arn't some great trainers out there, but I would recommend the book Body for Life. It has weight training in it. I have a good friend who is a fitness model and she swears by the book and the weight training exercises in it. I used to do them and they're great. All you need is a weight bench and some dumbells. I'm going to start doing them again next week. Just a thought.
  • PrincessLaundry
    PrincessLaundry Posts: 2,758 Member
    Options
    I would think anything would help. But if you have to ask yourself, maybe this isn't the thing for you. My husband said that to me about paying the $$$ and doing Jenny Craig. I almost did it, then didn't, then did, then didn't. He lovingly said for me to either do or don't already! Instead of me battling myself over spending the money, I chose to buy some fun things for the house I had been wanting and working out and changing my eating on my own. So far so good!

So...

Is this the workout you wish to do for the long run or are you more the outdoorsy type? I had a personal trainer once, loved it, but I realized I hated being inside that much. Even here in humid Florida, I'd rather be outside riding my bike early early on in the day and running the beaches. So what do you think? Is this your activity or maybe tennis lessons or something else you desire?

Hummmm??? I can't wait to hear what you do! Good luck!
  • PrincessLaundry
    PrincessLaundry Posts: 2,758 Member
    Options
    I just looked at your profile. You are not wanting to loose much, so it will take you longer to hit your goal possibly than you are expecting/hoping. You definitely must know something about keeping fit! Save your money for a new wardrobe when you get down those pounds! How exciting!
  • SoupNazi
    SoupNazi Posts: 4,229 Member
    Options
    You must, absolutely must, incorporate strength training into your workout! As a female, it helps fight osteoporosis and weight gain. Muscle is denser and needs to burn twice as many calories to function. There is nothing more crucial to a female than gaining muscle. Don't ever fear that you will bulk up...a high majority of females simply cannot without chemical means.
    As for the $650...WOW:noway: I have never had a personal trainer in my life, let alone to teach me strength training, and I think I'm doing pretty okay. My suggestion would be to save that money for the ever rising cost of gas......but that's another ball of wax.

I wish you so much luck!
  • melissa1176
    melissa1176 Posts: 14
    Options
    I had hired a personal trainer for about 4 months (December - April). I got a good deal because my friend and I did the training together, so we paid $15 a session each. A presonal trainer can certainly help you gain muscle mass and strength. However, they normally measure in inches lost and not pounds. I do not think you burn as many calories lifting weights but it seems like I had to eat more to have the strength to work out or I would get light headed. After awhile I learned the routine and how to do the reps, so I can now do the training on my own safely. I think that the cost is excessive $650!!!! I do not think I paid that amount in the total 4 months I was training with my PT.

Does 24 hr fitness have aerobic classes or anything??
  • melissa1176
    melissa1176 Posts: 14
    Options
    You must, absolutely must, incorporate strength training into your workout! As a female, it helps fight osteoporosis and weight gain. Muscle is denser and needs to burn twice as many calories to function. There is nothing more crucial to a female than gaining muscle. Don't ever fear that you will bulk up...a high majority of females simply cannot without chemical means.
    As for the $650...WOW:noway: I have never had a personal trainer in my life, let alone to teach me strength training, and I think I'm doing pretty okay. My suggestion would be to save that money for the ever rising cost of gas......but that's another ball of wax.

I wish you so much luck!

Do you remember the Seinfield where Elaine followed around that personal trainer at the gym and copied everything he did with the client so she could get the training free? Oh my is was hilarious...
  • mary1127
    mary1127 Posts: 37
    Options
    Really investigate any personal trainer you go to. I myself went to one who made all kinds of promises and didn't keep any of them. They do push you harder than you would push yourself. But be really careful, there are not that many good ones around. I was ripped off by one but really helped by another for no charge. JUST BECAREFUL.
  • KatWood
    KatWood Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    If motivation is what you need a trainer will definitely help. When I started working out I hired a trainer. I knew I couldn't do it on my own. I always had excuses. It is really hard to skip the gym when someone is waiting for you! Also, my trainer really showed me the right way to exercise, taught me about my body and nutrition and pushed me harded than I would have pushed myself. He taught me that I am a lot stronger physically and mentally than I thought. He even developed a nutrition plan for me and gave me some healthy recipes. Having said all that, I was lucky to have gotten a really really great trainer, who genuinely cared for my health and well being. You really do have to be careful. Don't choose a trainer that makes a lot of grand promises. Choose one with experience and education. A lot of gyms offer introduction packages for training. For example, the first package I bought was 6 half hour sessions for $150. Packages like this are great for letting you get to know your trainer and seeing if training is for you before making a big financial commitment.

Anyways, that's my two sense. I had a great experience with a trainer and would highly recommend it although it is expensive. Once I get closer to my goal I will probably re-hire my trainer to help me shed the last few pounds.
  • annhjk
    annhjk Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Do they have a circuit class? My gym has 45 min classes that mixes cardio and weights. There are ton of the during the week so I have lots of options. It's the only way I'd get weights in. I'm one of those people that feel like if I'm not sweating, then I'm not working out.

Here's a sample one they wrote out for me when I missed circuit one day.
    Do 2 sets of 15 on all the weights

Seated shoulder press
    Jump rope – 1 min
    Incline chest press
    Captain’s chair – 20 bent knee, 20 straight leg
    Decline chest press
    1 ladder
    curls
    Monster walks with bands
    Overhead triceps extension
    Plank – 1 min
    Side plank – 1 min
    Stationary lunges
    1 ladder
    Straight leg dead lifts with dumbbells
    Wall sit – 1 min
    Calf raises
    Flutter kick – 30 sec
    Scissor kick – 30 sec
  • SoupNazi
    SoupNazi Posts: 4,229 Member
    Options

I wish you so much luck!

Do you remember the Seinfield where Elaine followed around that personal trainer at the gym and copied everything he did with the client so she could get the training free? Oh my is was hilarious...

:laugh: :laugh: That was great.

Hey Cindy_ram...you should try that....:laugh:
  • lessertess
    lessertess Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I'm currently working with a personal trainer and he's been great. It does help to motivate me to get to the gym when I know I have someone waiting for me. He changes up my routines everytime so that I don't get bored. He checks in on my exercise and nutrition outside of our sessions, has introduced me to other people at the gym with similar goals and regularly invites me to free group sessions with other clients. When I first started he went through a full physical assessment and talked to me about my long and short term goals. My program is based on that assessment and we've gone in and updated it a few times. Yes, it is very expensive and I've had to do some serious budgeting in order to do it, but I think it's been worth it.

He also makes sure that I'm doing exercises properly, with proper alignment, so that I don't injure myself.

If what your doing is working...keep with it. If it's not, consider having a professional help you figure out what needs to change.
  • Cindy_ram
    Cindy_ram Posts: 10
    Options
    Hey Guys :

Thank u so much for all this.You guys are great.

I guess from what it seems either I should get a good trainer or do it alone.

I will probably try and see if I can find a trainer that will really fit my needs instead of buying into that ugly selling pitch at the gym.

In a few weeks I will post an update on how I am doing with or w/o a trainer.

Btw I am at 155 lbs now and my 4 weeks goal is to get to 145 lbs.:ohwell: Hope losing weight was easier.

But am hoping by the July 4th weekend I am 10 lbs lighter.

Want to lose 2 dress sizes by end of July:bigsmile:

Am a Size 8 now.Hope can go to 6 atleast.

-Cindy
  • timisw
    timisw Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I would REALLY think about trying to do the Body For Life Program!!

That really works and I still incorporate his weight lifting regime into my arsenol for the gym! It keeps your heart rate up and burns a lot of calories on that approach!
  • Smilineyes
    Smilineyes Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    One of my good friends has been with her trainer at 24 hr for over a year now. She pays so much, but she's lost a lot of weight and looks great. He's also helped her with her eating habits as well. She's one of those people who can't do it herself, so it works for her. If you're having problems staying motivated then it'll probably work for you. That's a lot of money though so make sure it's something you really want and you're gonna stick to.
  • destiny_206
    destiny_206 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Hi I am just getting started again and I hired a personal trainer but only for 2 sessions so he could help me create a couple rutines set to the goals I am trying to reach then in like 6 weeks once my body has adjusted to those I will probubly hire him again for like 2 sessions and have him help create new ones. This is at gold gym, maybe 24 hour has smaller packs you could do. The trainers are also only $50 an hour at golds ($75 if not on any specials but there are always specials) not the 465 your getting quoted. Talk to them and see if you can do a couple or swich to golds they have a hour class thats just on weights witout having to pay for a trainer and it is included in the monthly fees. Hope this helps. Kim
  • ChubbyBunny
    ChubbyBunny Posts: 3,523 Member
    Options
    My 5 yearold is my trainer.....She's a bloody Nazi!
  • TNTPete
    TNTPete Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Chubbybunny - too funny! my kids can be a bit rough too when it comes to getting out and doing something!!

Anyway, Cindyram - 650 is a lot of money... you could probably do it on your own - I have had a personal trainer and there is something to be said about paying someone - you tend to want your money's worth so.. but mine were half the cost. It depends on what motivates you.

Sparkpeople.com is a great site for workout programs using body weight, the ball and free weights. Could help.