What Can I Get to Last 2 Weeks?

Options
I'm on a tight budget this week. I have 20 dollars to spare for food to last me 2 weeks. There is a local grocery store that I can get cheap groceries. I already have a list of hamburger meat, spaghetti sauce, and ramen. Anything else to add that may get me by? Thanks for ideas!

Replies

• jhner
    jhner Posts: 66
    Options
    Peanut butter?
  • heagler870
    heagler870 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Oh and it's just for one person, (me)
  • ausf
    ausf Posts: 51
    Options
    oats
    chicken breast
    yogurt
  • momwhosbusy
    momwhosbusy Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Chicken? By us chicken is by far the less expensive protien....even the 75% lean burger is upwards of $3.00/lb but chicken is anywhere from .99 cents a lb. up to the 3.00/lb, I even got whole chickens the other day for .39 cents a lb.!

Dried beans
    Rice
    which ever veggie is on sale (fresh of frozen)
    eggs
  • RawrWolfie
    RawrWolfie Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    whole grain pasta is cheap. Ramon has no nutritional value and is loaded with salt
  • MSam1205
    MSam1205 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Tuna in the big can, PB, beans, baking potatoes
  • MdmAcolyte
    MdmAcolyte Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Im all about a whole chicken. Toss that sucker in the crockpot for a day and bake it and have chicken for dinner one night. Shred the rest of the meat off and you have chicken for tacos, a casserole, or bbq sandwiches. Take the leftover carcass and toss it back in the crock pot, cover it with water, and make stock for soup. I lubb me some rubber chicken <3 (because you can stretch it into so many meals).
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Chicken (buy thighs or buy a whole chicken and roast it)
    Dry beans
    Rice
    Frozen veggies
    Bananas
    Potatoes
    Oatmeal (not the individual packets, buy the bulk container)
    Eggs
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    eggs, bulk dry beans.
  • josyjozy
    josyjozy Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    eggs, chicken, oats, rice. Save your money and don't get ramen. That's has like nothing good for you in it.
  • recee96
    recee96 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I would spend about $5-10 on fresh fruits and veggies and go with the other items listed. If there is a farmers market nearby...even better!
  • willwillywilson
    Options
    Canned goods and/or frozen veggies are usually pretty cheap too. Maybe one of those big bags of frozen chicken breast or fish from Walmart.
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    chicken must be much cheaper in other areas of the country than where i live! If I only had $20 to spend for 2 weeks, one chicken would take up a quarter of that AT LEAST and I've never seen chicken breasts much less than $2 all year. I would toss the chicken all together and focus on things that don't go bad quickly like rice, beans, peanut butter, spuds, etc. or...if you do buy the chicken, buy the rice and some baby carrots and turn the carcass into soup.
  • danv004
    danv004 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Quaker oats, Bananas are good choices
  • YoungDoc2B
    YoungDoc2B Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    Oats, ground beef/turkey, frozen vegetables (normally like $1 or something), bag of frozen chicken breast, eggs, and a box of rice. That should put you right around the $20 mark, and these items go a long way. With just those few items, you can make a meatloaf, stirfry, etc.
  • Ivy_leaves
    Ivy_leaves Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    When you get poultry (if you chose to) then get the legs. You can get huge turkey legs or multiple chicken legs for about $2 here. You can either season them any way you want and bake them or grill them, or you can throw them in a put of boiling water and make some soup. Or you could even make chicken salad, spread it on some crackers or bread. (: