Laundry Detergent for your workout gear

Options
I was wondering what type of laundry detergent you use to get the sweat smell out of your workout gear.

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I just use whatever is on sale (not married to any particular brand) but the extra-stinky stuff gets soaked in a bucket filled with warm water and about a cup of white vinegar (a tip I picked up here on MFP) - seems to do the trick.
  • alijoceleste
    alijoceleste Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have seen special laudry detergent at the store for workout clothes (I think Tide?) which I bought and seems to work very well. I wash my work out clothes separetly with that detergent and it works very well.
  • nturner612
    nturner612 Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    i used to have a huge problem gettin that smell away. and then i satarted to drink tons of water and i find that i dont have it anymore! so save ur money and drink tons of water.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    I use 20 Mule Team Borax along with my regular detergent. Works great!
  • belladonna786
    belladonna786 Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    My sweat doesn't smell
  • CarlieeBear
    CarlieeBear Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    My sister taught me to wash lycra using shampoo. She says it's gentler on the fabric.
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    I just don't let it soak in for weeks on end.....? Never had a problem with stinky clothes, but I don't hold them right up to my nose either. I use Tide Free and Clear with no fragrances as I have sensitive skin.
  • lwoods34
    lwoods34 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I use Tide Frebreeze that is strictly for workout clothes.
  • amberlykay1014
    amberlykay1014 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Maybe look into buying Mountain HardWear or Patagonia brand? Most of their active wear is treated with an anti-microbial treatment to keep the smell away. A lot of backpackers wear their clothes for that reason, since washing machines haven't been installed on the trails yet. :) Also, it costs more, but merino is naturally anti-microbial, feels super soft, and is probably the best material for active wear.

NikWax makes a baselayer wash that restores breathability and moisture wicking properties to clothes. Might be worth looking into if you want to restore performance of your workout gear.
  • Pohudet
    Pohudet Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I wash any mild detergent for dark colors, preferably without a fragrance. In my experience, it is important NOT to put my sweaty wet workout clothes into the laundry basket, or whereever they would remain wet for hours. That wet environment breeds bacteria, and then they produce smell. Once that happened, the workout clothes even after you wash them, begin to smell again the moment you start sweating. Well, maybe not the moment, but very soon.
    So I try to hang and air them when I come from the gym, before I put them into the laundry basket, so while they are waiting for my weekly laundry time, they are dry, not wet.
    Also, I notice that some of my workout clothes that I buy from Athleta, Lucy or Lululemon have some antibacterial fibers, and they never smell, even if I leave them wet in my gym bag overnight, before I get them out and repack my gym bag in the morning with fresh clothes for a new day.
    But the cotton ones, or cotton and Lycra ones that I bought at Walmart, do tend to smell after a 40 min intense workout. So I am trying to phase them out.
    And never ever reuse the same workout clothes the next day without washing them. There is sometimes one person in a class who does that, and you can smell it a mile away.
  • timboom1
    timboom1 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I just use whatever is on sale (not married to any particular brand) but the extra-stinky stuff gets soaked in a bucket filled with warm water and about a cup of white vinegar (a tip I picked up here on MFP) - seems to do the trick.

Vinegar works great, I just through 1/2 cup into the laundry with the clothes and then whatever detergent we happen to have. I also do not machine dry the cloths as this seems to set the stink in.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Somebody already mentioned it. There is Tide with Frebreeze in it. Works great. And I have two teenage boys and a wife who runs marathons.
  • gsheasley
    gsheasley Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    I must not be working out hard enough... the regular stuff I wash my clothes in seems to be fine for me :)
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    Arm & Hammer with OxyClean
  • JustANumber85
    JustANumber85 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    This Am I used the cheap stuff from the dollar store- smells fine.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    Arm & Hammer with OxyClean or Tide seem to work the best to get the smell out of clothes. It also works if you work someplace like a restaurant and need to get the grease and smell out.
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    The same laundry detergent I use for my regular everyday clothes...why would you need different detergent?
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    I use the Tide Sport with Febreze and always wash it in hot water. Sometimes I add an OxyClean pack, sometimes I add vinegar. For the most part, workout/sports gear does not go into the regular hamper, nor does it get washed with our everyday clothes--there is a special basket in the laundry room for it.
  • valeriedent2
    Options
    I use 20 Mule Team Borax along with my regular detergent. Works great!

I "ditto" the above. Also, keep your load really light. Don't overstuff it. Makes a big difference!

I also let my stuff air dry before putting it in the laundry basket if it's not going to get washed that day.
  • darls25
    darls25 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I use purex and downy unstoppables. The unstoppables smell so good and keep clothes fresh.