Does Anyone Average?

Options
johloz
johloz Posts: 176 Member
Does anyone NOT track their exercise, but just go by average calories per day? I'm trying to maintain my weight, which with my desk job puts me at netting 1680 calories per day. I don't believe MPF exercise calories to be accurate with most activities, and end up lowering my time and guessing on calories burned. (Yes, I know, I could get an HRM, but I really don't want to deal with it).

I did a very conservative estimate of the number of calories I burn through exercise in an average week, and also averaged the total number of calories burned over the last 4 months of tracking. Either way, my average burn is about 1950 calories/day.

I'm thinking about changing my calories to this every day and no longer tracking exercise. I'm sick of feeling like I need to stuff my face on a day that I worked out, and feeling like I can't eat much on days that I don't.

What do you think? Does anyone else have a set calorie amount every day, and ignore exercise? What has been your experience?

Replies

• runnninginmd
    Options
    You are burning almost 2,000 calories a day, everyday? What exactly are you doing?
  • Brettn10
    Options
    You got to remember that how many calories you take in in a day also depends on your exercise for the day. If you do anything strenuous like a run or lifting or even just having to move around a lot more then you should take in more calories. However, if its a day when you dont get out and do anything then your caloric intake should be less.
  • johloz
    Options
    You are burning almost 2,000 calories a day, everyday? What exactly are you doing?

I mean BMR + exercise calories. I don't burn 2,000 through exercise alone if that's what you're asking.
  • johloz
    Options
    You got to remember that how many calories you take in in a day also depends on your exercise for the day. If you do anything strenuous like a run or lifting or even just having to move around a lot more then you should take in more calories. However, if its a day when you dont get out and do anything then your caloric intake should be less.

But let's look at the big picture. Say I start out at 1700 calories every day, then burn 2100 calories through exercise during the course of a week. Should it matter if I eat only 1700 on my two rest days and eat more on the days that I exercise, or will it be just as effective to eat 14000 calories over the course of a week?
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    It's not about a single day or even a week, it's the full picture. As long as you feel good and are getting the nutrition and results you want, go for it. If something's not working, tweak it.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    If you wanted to keep logging exercise, then you also have the option of spreading those extra calories over the week, so you don't feel like you're stuffing yourself one day, and starving the next. But, by all means, go for it. Lots of people round here just work out their TDEE (including additional exercise) and make a cut from there.

I'm tempted, and I might do when I've maintained for a while, but for now, I feel that I get a slightly more accurate estimate of my caloric needs from logging additional exercise. That's partly because I'm not able to do the same amount of exercise every week at the moment. But, if you have a good idea of your overall burns, then I'm sure you'll be fine. You'll soon find out if you're off on the numbers. No calculator is 100% accurate, there are so many variables. Just experiment until you're happy and not losing or gaining, and you'll have the right number.
  • CamillaBeaumont
    CamillaBeaumont Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    My opinion is that it is fine to average it out, and I know someone had posted a lovely Excel spreadsheet on MFP a little while back to help you do exactly that. Eat more when you are hungry, less when you are not, as opposed to eating b/c your food diary says you have calories left, just makes sense!

As long as you keep up the exercise to burn that many calories in the week, to me the danger would be in slacking off on the tracking if I was doing it weekly as opposed to daily.
  • NJL13500
    NJL13500 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I think you might be surprised with how many calories you burn throughout the day just doing "stuff". I recently bought a BodyMedia armband which tracks exactly (to the best of possibility) how many calories I burn per day. On "lazy" days of little or no exercise I burn 2,000. On exercise days I burn anywhere from 2,600-3,000.

I am 5'6" 132 pounds and 42 years old. I work as a teacher and although I don't sit behind my desk all day I'm not getting as much movement as I would like or what I get on the weekends.

I definitely eat the same amount of calories per day and know that on some days I only have a deficit of 250 and on other days it could be over 1,000. This approach seems to be working for me. I also indulge occasionally for special occasions and don't worry because I think it all evens out in the end.

I do keep a spreadsheet that tracks my monthly progress and I do see my monthly average food, average calories burned through daily activity (including exercise) and net calories.

You have to find out what works for you and it might take a bit of time. Good luck!
  • anifani4
    anifani4 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Go for the average for a few weeks and see what happens with your body. That's the best way to find out if it works for you.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    I do, and I think it's superior to the MFP method.
  • VeganZombie13
    Options

Everybody burn calories though out the whole day.. I have a bodybugg and it tracks calories burned "though out" the whole day.
    I burn anywhere from 2200 to 2400 for the WHOLE day...
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I eat a fixed amount daily and only raise my calories by 300 if I lift weights. This is the guideline in New Rules of Lifting for Women. I eat around 1900 calories a day and 2200 on lifting days. I've been doing extremely well with this program when I'm consistent. Remaining consistent is the hardest component for me.
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    A lot of people do it that way. I go off my TDEE- a cut. It's easier for me to eat the same amount everyday. And it all averages out over the week or month. Plus a lot of people find they are more hungry the day after exercise, so doing it that way also helps with that.
  • mispotatohead
    mispotatohead Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I don't record my exercise on MFP as I tend to want to eat too much when I do. I set my calories for 1300 and that leaves wiggle room on a day that I'm really hungry or have a special occasion. I see progress by doing this. Everyone is different so you should experiment to figure out what works best for you.

edit for spelling
  • runnninginmd
    Options

Everybody burn calories though out the whole day.. I have a bodybugg and it tracks calories burned "though out" the whole day.
    I burn anywhere from 2200 to 2400 for the WHOLE day...

I thought they were talking about through exercise. I get that people burn calories throughout the day, thanks.
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    I eat at a 15% cut from my estimated TDEE (total daily energy expenditure). This is a number that takes into account average activity level so I don't eat back exercise calories. When I'm consistent it works great (I also have some insulin issues that impeded progress slightly when I'm less consistent).
  • Martucha123
    Martucha123 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    nothing wrong with eating fixed amount of calories per day
    just remeber to adjust if you become more/less active
  • Madholm
    Madholm Posts: 167
    Options
    My opinion is that it is fine to average it out, and I know someone had posted a lovely Excel spreadsheet on MFP a little while back to help you do exactly that. Eat more when you are hungry, less when you are not, as opposed to eating b/c your food diary says you have calories left, just makes sense!

As long as you keep up the exercise to burn that many calories in the week, to me the danger would be in slacking off on the tracking if I was doing it weekly as opposed to daily.

I totally eat more when I'm hungry (aka hungover) and I never eat just because I have calories left (rather have beer instead).... it's a viscious cycle but I'm still losing with it.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    the only reason I track my exercise is for my own historical records and to brag on MFP :happy:
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    This totally works and more or less mirrors what I do for myself. If you find yourself gaining or losing over a period of 2-3 weeks just add or subtract calories accordingly.