I want to get a punch bag..need some advice

Options
2»

Replies

• Takes2long
    Takes2long Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    We have a hanging bag, Everlast, but I'm not sure of the weight. It IS an awesome workout. I've been kickboxing for 4 years, and I prefer the Wavemaster bags (with the stand). I like that one better because it doesn't move around quite as much as the hanging bag. I have tweeked my wrists because the bag was swinging back at me and I didn't think it was as close as it really was. It's just a personal preference. Make sure you get some good gloves and even the handwraps really help, too. I didn't think they made a difference, but they do. The wraps look like Ace bandages, but they're not stretchy. For me, I always use them when I kickbox and in muay thai. Have fun!!!!!
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    If it's mainly for a 9 year old I'd go with a 75 lb bag, as a 100 lb bag may be too much.
  • Chopshopcop
    Chopshopcop Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I would recommend getting the 100 lb bag. You state this will be used by the whole family. When properly struck with a jab or straight punch you should hear a deep thump or thwack; it should swing or spin minimally as all of the force is centered and absorbed. The greatest swing/spin should only come when striking with crosses or hook type punches. When used for kicking, the forces generated are greater and the swing will be increased.

Lighter bags tend to swing wildly when struck, they also tend to be softer. After a few months, as your techniques improve, you will find your punches sinking into the softer bag; this has the potential to lead to hyperextension of the arm or leg and injury. Everlast is a good consumer grade bag, they're inexpensive, durable and widely available. Leather bags are durable and last near forever; but are much more expensive and are generally found in training schools. Canvas bags are at the low end of the scale; they will suffice but with heavy use, the stitching on the straps can rip away from the bag. Ballistic nylon cloth is more durable.

I have the Everlast 100 lb gel foam bag and a traditional steel stand; I punch, kick, use a nightstick, flashlight and other training aids on mine regularly. After 3 years, it shows little wear. Look for a bag with a tie down loop on the bottom as well; I use a bungee cord, it helps to minimize swing and causes the bag to rebound faster. If you use a stand, build some sandbags out of playground sand and old school backpacks or something similar. Use these to weight the legs of the stand; otherwise it will "walk" around during use. A carpet remnant under the legs will help limit movement and protect floors. Plan on dedicating a corner of the room to a stand; takes up less space and again, minimizes "walking". It will limit your ability to go 360 around the bag as you could with a hanger.

If you intend to hang, make sure beforehand that your ceiling joists can support such a weight. Not just the weight of the bag, but the increased forces generated by punching and kicking. You may need to beef them up and the cost for that could exceed the cost of a stand. A stand is portable; the hanger is pretty much fixed forever in that spot. A stand could be put up outside in nice weather and moved indoors later; less so with a hanger.

Other bags that use water or sand for the base (IMHO) are trouble; water stands will leak over time and water can be destructive. Sand is heavy and it takes a lot to fill a base; it's near impossible to fully empty if needed.

Hope some of this helps