Article: Athletes Vs. Exercisers

Options

Replies

• DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    Disagree. An athlete in someone competing in athletics. I do not consider myself an athlete but I exercise for much deeper reasons than to be social or have fun.
  • emacb123
    emacb123 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Gag!

Give me a break!
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    He lost me at the first (unintelligible) sentence.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    What a one-sided article. I would have to say I'm neither by these weird definitions. I do achieve most of my fitness goals, though they are never my top focus or priority. But when I don't achieve a goal I don't blame anything external.

To be honest, I'm not even sure what is meant by that remark. I didn't run the 5k fast enough because it was to cold or too windy??
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I think the intent of the article had a lot of merit in the fact that some people make excuses, while others just do what it takes. I think the way it was conveyed was a poor choice of words and style.
  • RickMckc
    Options
    I get his point, but I think he could use better terms than "athletes" and "exercisers." Casual vs. committed? I know lots of people who are not athletes but very committed to exercising.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Not really buying it. The "exercisers" group has some pretty sweeping generalizations.
  • CentralCaliCycling
    CentralCaliCycling Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Sounds like the person is giving his/her own definition to the words "athlete" and "exerciser"

Since it comes from an "entrepreneur" I am guessing he is attempting to make some money out of convincing people that exercise to follow his philosophy for a fee.

I probably should mention that I have nothing against entrepreneurs if they can provide me something I am not able to provide for myself. More than willing to pay for it at a reasonable and fair market driven price).
  • tinak33
    tinak33 Posts: 9,883 Member
    Options
    Half the people I know who exercise don't do it because it's "fun" they do it because they want to stay fit and healthy.

As far as I'm concerned, I think athletes are those who compete in athletics. (like a mavd said). There are plenty of "exercisers" who stick to their plans and are just as focused on their goals as his so-called athletes.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I don't consider myself an athlete, because I think that implies a more professional or competitive nature than what I do. I love to run, but I don't particularly like racing anymore.

But I'm sure as hell athletic. I'm flexible and have some wiggle room in my routine - I'm not going to berate myself for taking an extra rest day - but I'm dedicated as F.

I'm also never going to chose a salad over a burger if I'm going out to eat. If I'm going out for dinner, I'm planning on fully enjoying a real frickin' dinner. Any salad I might order (ie, Chili's Quesadilla Explosion) is going to be pretty darn close in calories to the Bacon Big Mouth Burger, so I might as well get what I REALLY want.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    The dude seems pretty full of himself.
    I would never consider myself an athlete. Nor do I fit his definition of an exerciser.
    I don't compete in anything since I was forced to retire from martial arts training. But I wasn't exactly "competitive" when I was training. More of a stepping stone for my opponents to get to the next round in sparring. :)
    When I go to the Y I don't spend much, if any time, talking to anyone other than my kids or my trainer. I'm more focused on keeping my heart rate up.
    I have goals that I am working toward. And those goals change as I discover new ways to define my goals.
    I suspect I am closer to what most people here consider themselves. Few people that fit this guy's definition of "athlete" would even consider MFP anyway. That would be considered seeking an "external solution."
  • CentralCaliCycling
    CentralCaliCycling Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    One of the best cyclists I know who has won a lot of races prides himself in eating snickers and crappy junk food like greasy burgers and fries (often during training rides). I wouldn't eat half of the stuff he does but I still consider him an athlete but then I haven;'t bought into the confines of the definitions given in the "entrepreneur''s" blog.
  • tgh1914
    tgh1914 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    This was my comment on his blog:

"You know how many "athletes" I've come across, that love their sport & do it whenever they can, but you can't get their lazy butt to do real workouts that might improve their game? Nor are they disciplined enough to take anything serious that might be construed as work outside their game? "

Talk about generalizations!
  • Enigmatica
    Enigmatica Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    Not impressed. I suppose I could respond to him with a blog about the difference between writers and typists, but I'm too busy pedalling away at my FitDesk at work and multi-tasking on the 'net.
  • emily2tx
    Options
    This was my comment on his blog:

"You know how many "athletes" I've come across, that love their sport & do it whenever they can, but you can't get their lazy butt to do real workouts that might improve their game? Nor are they disciplined enough to take anything serious that might be construed as work outside their game? "

Talk about generalizations!
    I consider my daughter an "athlete" and like tharrop says, she does not have the discipline to do anything outside of scheduled practices to improve her game.

On the other hand, I consider myself an "exerciser", not an athlete. I do get up before work 3 days a week to work out. I work out at lunch 3-5 days a week. And anything else I can work into that, I am in! Running, basketball, cleaning, whatever. I love it! I eat as clean as possible with exceptions of course, while my child will eat crap and not think twice about it.

Maybe Alex shouldn't use the terms athlete and exerciser. Doesn't really fit into what we know or experience.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    What a tool. Perfect example of polarized "all or nothing" thinking.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    I believe I am approximately 14.3952 % dumber for having read that.
  • Jynus
    Jynus Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    ITT: a lot of butt hurt lashing out people.

I didn't see any problem with this article. I competed nationally for sports, and thats all very much true. we trained rain or shine, regardless of anything else. because we had to. Even now I don't compete, but I look at training much the same way. People who just exercise don't seem to have any set goals outside of 'lose weight'. exercise is a means to an end, but their goals are not exercise based. Instead of lose weight, maybe it's lose a minute off your mile time. In that mindset you're now training like an athlete, and not exercising.
  • wigglypeaches
    wigglypeaches Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Jynus makes a point. I think there are significant differences that can be generalized, to an extent. There's a huge shift in mindset between training to lose those extra inches, and training so you can do the things you love. In my limited experience, at some point it stops being about weight, and it becomes all about building enough strength to run that extra mile, add that extra pound, or last just one minute longer in the ring. You find what you love, and you'll do anything to make doing it possible. You start training to become the person who can meet those goals, not just a person who exercises. It can change the way you see things.

However, I also think the author made some harsh and sweeping generalizations about "exercisers" that managed to discredit the rest of the article. Some of his points are valid, and worth considering, but they may have come across more clearly without the veiled value judgement.
  • MellyGibson
    MellyGibson Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    For me, I believe the definition is the problem. To me, an athlete is someone who competes on a serious and/or regular level. The degree of committment the athlete has determines the level of seriousness they have with regards to training and nutrition.

My definition of an exerciser is someone who exercises. An athlete can be an exerciser and vice versa.

I am no longer an althete, but I exercise like MAD and am way more serious about my diet & exercise than I EVER was when I competed. Had I devoted the same level of committment THEN as I have NOW I would have been amazing! :)

I take these kinds of articles with a grain of salt. It's all a matter of perception, and getting your panties in a wad over someone's opinion differing from your own isn't worth the energy involved, IMHO.