its not noticeable :(

Options
Ive lost almost 40 lbs in the last few months, but It isnt noticeable. No one notices, and I see no differance either. How is that possible? 40 lbs is like a 4 yr old! I dont get it, and i must say its a bit discouraging. Is anyone else going through this? advice?

Replies

• Gramps251
    Gramps251 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Just keep it up. You know that's the only way to get where you want to be. My guess is you're too closely involved to see the difference. Self image is strong.

Are you working out? I saw results in 2 weeks and more all the time with 30 Day Shred.
  • faceoff4
    faceoff4 Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    40lbs lost is a huge accomplishment and I think you might just be putting too much pressure and being too hard on yourself. From you pics you look great and maybe start focusing on other things than just how you perceive you look. Like clothes size, or measurements, BMR or body fat %, etc. Those kind of things dont lie and tell the real story which is you have done a great job so far and should be proud of your progress. I am ever the critic with myself, and even when I get to a goal weight that I want I still am critical of myself and dont feel like I have made any progress...so I know what you are feeling. So try focusing on the things that are measurable and definable and I think you will see the progress you have made. Good luck!
  • BeeRobin
    BeeRobin Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Do you have photos? I never noticed my weightloss (and still have a hard time noticing) but a pic speaks 1000 words.
  • lkokot
    lkokot Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Hmmmmmmm
    That's hard to believe I have to say; I lost 42lbs myself and a lot of people noticed, specially on my face.

Do you have a before picture that you can put next to an after picture wearing the same outfit maybe to see for yourself if you notice a difference? I think that would help.
  • Cube011
    Options
    I'm sure it's noticeable ... you just see yourself every day so you don't notice the change... you should take some pictures for yourself, lose ten more pounds, take more then do side by side ... forty pounds is a lot to lose and it's a great accomplishment.
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    Sometimes people don't say anything because they just don't know how to broach the subject politely. But trust me, they are noticing at 40lbs. And if they aren't, they will definitely notice by 50.
  • Indygirl_81
    Indygirl_81 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I agree with the previous poster.... I know when I lost 85+ lbs I still saw the same fat girl I was although I was in a size 8.

I wonder if you are having any NSV's? Non-scale victories.... have your pant sizes gone down, or were they tight and now they aren't?

Keep at it. It is likely that those around you never saw you as being bigger than you are now and that's why they haven't noticed.

Try toning up... and take a look at this page:
    http://everydaypaleo.com/2011/08/26/deb-update/

Not that I am for Paleo... but it makes a good point that you can still weigh the same but look differently or carry weight differently.
  • Danam48
    Danam48 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    40 pounds is an awesome accomplishment! Focus on your measurements, how your clothes are fitting, and like others have said, your BMI. We have about the same weightloss goals, and honestly people didn't start commenting on my weight loss until I had lost closer to 50 pounds. I am losing it everywhere on my body except the middle where I need it the most and that is why sometimes it doesn't feel like I am getting smaller. Have patience and keep going in the direction you are going. I think it also helps to visualize what 40 pounds of fat looks like. What would 40 pounds of butter look like stacked up? That's a LOT of fat! Stuff like that is what keeps me going. Also, sometimes our brains take a while to catch up with our bodies. We can look in the mirror and still see that heavy girl. Be kind to yourself and celebrate what you have done so far and go take some pics of yourself and take your measurements! :) Best wishes for continued success!
  • snykim2005
    snykim2005 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone, I feel like whenever I mention how much ive lost to anyone they seem like they dont believe me. I will have to go through my photos and see if I can find some from before I lost the wieght. I think I will start doing a photo for every 10 lbs I lose, maybe then I can see a differance. I have noticed my pants fitting much looser , but not really enough that I cant wear them anymore. Ive never had any luck with losing wieght until now, and Im really excited and I just wish it was noticeable so others would be excited with me.
  • RachelSRoach1
    RachelSRoach1 Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    something I have noticed is that there seems to be more change for people who are around 200 and getting lower. I am 267 and I have lost about 10 in the past 3 weeks which is awesome.. but even with pictures I notice very little. Right now I just plod along with the healthy eating and the slow weight loss.. trying to pass the time until I get to the point in which I go from looking fat to looking terrific. If you are in the same boat as I am... add me and we can get to that point together.
  • fusion777
    Options
    I think people get nervous asking if we lost any weight, like they are going to offend us.

Now that I have lost a few more pounds, people do ask. I just smile coyly and act like I don't know what they are talking about!
  • lorcart
    lorcart Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    In the past my experience has always been at around 50lbs people start asking me if I've done something different to my hair!
  • BeeRobin
    BeeRobin Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    (What fusion777 said)

I had someone ask me yesterday if I changed my hairstyle. Uh-no...

So, the awkwardness continued... "Did you change your hair color?"

No.

"Ummmm are you applying make-up differently?"

No. Why do you ask?

"Well frankly, you look good and something is different..."

"i've lost some weight...."

"YES, that's it...but I just didn't want to say it.........."

Yep...people are afraid to ask.
  • jennifer_a00
    jennifer_a00 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I get it! I've lost 30 pounds and I feel like nobody has noticed. It might be because I'm still wearing the same clothes and everything, the only noticeable difference for me is that I'm walking around all day pulling my jeans up if I forget the belt. Hang in there!
  • HotDolphinMama
    HotDolphinMama Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I so get what you are saying and had a very similiar post myself several months ago.

As most people have said, it takes time. 40 lbs is awesome! What I have noticed for myself is that the larger you are, the more it seems to take to lose before it really hits people that see us on a regular basis. This includes yourself. We look at ourselves everyday, so we aren't noticing the little centimeters and inches that are melting.
    Think of it like watching hair grow. Nobody walks up to someone in the office and says your hair is longer today than yesterday. It is - hopefully - but we don't notice those changes. And then one day you are walking behind someone swinging their ponytail, and you say "OMG - your hair is getting long!" truthfully, they have been growing it out for awhile, right? LOL

I also need to point out that if you are still in the same clothes (albeit they are bigger on you now) then people tend to see what they are used to seeing.

I started out - like yourself - wanting that acknowledgement once I realized I was on the road to making a great change. After a while i decided - fine - they don't see the drastic change i wanted them to see - neither do i really. There will come a day when I get to closer to where i need to be and I am going to go get a little red dress, put that sucker on & know everyone's socks off! They will notice it then! lol
  • llkilgore
    llkilgore Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Have you done any shopping yet? No one seemed to notice my weight loss until I went shopping for new clothes, then EVERYONE noticed. I think people took that as a strong signal that the weight loss was both deliberate (not due to illness) and intended to be permanent.
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I lost 85 pounds before one of my co-workers noticed. Just keep it up. They'll come around.

This year, I got my winter coat out, and put it on - it was WAY too big. I brought it into work, and said, "I think I need a new coat...." Everybody's chin dropped.
  • now_or_never12
    now_or_never12 Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    Take photos! You look at yourself multiple times a day so you will not notice the changes.

Those you see daily are less likely to notice the changes as well. They may see that you are getting smaller however they don't want to say something. People don't like to say "Hey, you are losing weight" anymore.

Ultimately, who cares if other people notice. Sure, it's nice to recieve compliments that you have worked hard and lost weight but if you are doing this for you it shouldn't matter what others say.
  • BlackKat75
    BlackKat75 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I know this is hard right now, but soon it will be noticeable and you'll be surprised by just how many people do notice. I have a total of 50 pounds to lose. I'm presently 13 pounds away from my goal. Not one person mentioned *anything* about me losing weight until I lost 30 pounds. In fact, I felt like I couldn't see any difference whatsoever (to be honest, I sometimes still feel this way). I lost over 15% of my starting weight and not a word from anyone. Then, at 30 pounds, *everyone* started noticing. Something that helped me recognize that things were actually changing was moving down in size in my old clothes. I wore my bigger clothes for a long time while I was still losing weight and I think that hid a lot of the progress (from myself and others).

Keep at it!!! You can do it!!!
  • stehmari
    stehmari Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Do you have photos? I never noticed my weightloss (and still have a hard time noticing) but a pic speaks 1000 words.

Yes! I realized that in the past when I have lost weight, I didn't compare pictures. I lost 40 lbs in high school but felt like it was nothing, and all that hard work was a waste of time. I look at the pictures NOW, and can definetly see a difference. I wish I compared then. To date I have lost 26.5 lbs and I didn't think it was noticeable until I compared pictures.

Don't stop! A year from now you'll be glad you didn't!