December is not going to be an easy weight loss month.

Options
I am contemplating all the meals and 'drinks' out I have been invited to in December, plus Christmas lunch and I think I may just be happy not to put on weight by the end of the month.
I am almost tempted not to weigh myself at all through December, so I don't get depressed when they reflect the week's horrors!
How does everyone else feel?:sad:

Replies

• melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I am maintaining this December but last year I was still losing. I got through the holiday party season up exactly one pound- not too bad, I thought. especially because I was on vacation for one of the weeks!

My strategy last year was to maintain. Instead of being in a calorie deficit, I upped my goal on MFP to maintenance which gave me extra calories every day. I didn't always use them but it gave me more wiggle room without trashing all of my hard work. I viewed it as essentially putting my weight loss on pause for a few weeks. Immediately after New Year's, I got right back to my calorie deficit and actually reached my goal just after that!

Between multiple holiday parties, vacation, visiting family, I knew it was in my best interest to be proactive in figuring out how to manage the onslaught of extra food. Also, throwing in extra exercise whenever humanly possible will also help!
  • foleyshirley
    foleyshirley Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    I am maintaining this December but last year I was still losing. I got through the holiday party season up exactly one pound- not too bad, I thought. especially because I was on vacation for one of the weeks!

My strategy last year was to maintain. Instead of being in a calorie deficit, I upped my goal on MFP to maintenance which gave me extra calories every day. I didn't always use them but it gave me more wiggle room without trashing all of my hard work. I viewed it as essentially putting my weight loss on pause for a few weeks. Immediately after New Year's, I got right back to my calorie deficit and actually reached my goal just after that!

Between multiple holiday parties, vacation, visiting family, I knew it was in my best interest to be proactive in figuring out how to manage the onslaught of extra food. Also, throwing in extra exercise whenever humanly possible will also help!

This is a great idea. I really like the idea of actually changing your MFP goals so you can see what you have to work with to maintain. I may do this. Thanks.
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    I managed to get through Thanksgiving with a little gain, and then it came back off quickly and then some. I was kind of waiting to see how I would do with that before thinking about December. Now that I only have 7.5 lbs left to lose, I would be happy with a 1 or 2 lb loss for December. I think I can do more than maintain. Plan for those times when you're going to parties and stuff (try to budget the drinks/food into your day as best as you can) and ramp up your workouts. Should be fine! :)
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    I feel like life is not about dieting, so I am going to go out and enjoy myself on those parties and family visits (not go mad, just not count) and then stick to what I normally do on the days where I've not got anything planned.

Really, when I put it into perspective:

Christmas and New Years parties - 5
    Christmas and Boxing Day - 2

That's 7 days out of 30 that I'll probably go over. No biggie.
  • Crayvn
    Crayvn Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    ingredients to weight loss through the holidays:

discipline
    moderation
    patience
    deficit
    exercise
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    Keep weighing...it will help you stay on the rails a little more than if you stick your head in the sand.

I look at it this way...there's ALWAYS going to be occasions to eat and drink, so why should the holidays be special? All year long its birthdays, celebrations, weddings, barbeques, etc.... you just have to moderate and remember how much more important it is to feel (and look) healthy... That will make you far more happier in life than a few extra cookies or some eggnog can ever do!

That being said...have fun, and maybe just allow one or two occasions to indulge in your favorite things, but stay on the course :drinker:
  • ketchup38
    ketchup38 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I intend to up my calories to maintenance levels and stick to that.
  • Blackadd3r
    Options
    Thanks for your replies. I really like the maintenance angle on MFP. I am quite new so didn't know about that.
    Cheers :happy:
  • swisswife
    swisswife Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    The winters are a great time to make big pans of stews with loads of veggies and home made soups with hardly any fat / calories and then you can have scrummy low cal meals to compensate for the others....... or just stop eating when you are not hungry anymore and have a large glass of water between alcoholic drinks ( better still be a designated driver and don't drink at all )
  • skittles1928
    skittles1928 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    The worst part for me is that all of my company's clients send us gifts, always in the form of food. My coworkers and I ate so much fancy popcorn the other day we were all ready to barf. Such a pain...
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    I get through it by basically not participating. I think it takes a certain mentality and not everyone is geared for it. I just don't care what people think. I look at all the fat people circling all the food and cake and things and I just think to myself, "that's why you're all fat", and it totally turns me off from wanting to be part of that. It also makes me feel strong by being different and not being a drone. But, again, you have to be an individual and not part of the crowd or group. It's hard to do for many people, or probably most people. I'm just odd enough where I don't really care much about what people think. I was asked yesterday why I wasn't having cake. I just said I try to not eat that kind of stuff. Comments ensued, and I just walked away once it calmed down. I think people try to push you to particiate because people are instictively herds. They want to be together and participate in things together, and if you don't participate, you are outcast.

That's OK. I like being lean and fit and feeling good in my clothes. I like being able to run and jump and lift heavy things. I like not having back problems anymore. I like getting out of bed now without any pain. I enjoy being able to walk up 4 flights of stairs with barely even getting any heavy breath going at all, while people around me are dying, they can't even talk they are so out of breath. I enjoy chosing my foods, and not having them chosen for me. I enjoy sleeping well, and feeling good all the way around. Those things are far more important than letting other bully and badger me into unhealthy activites.

...just my $.02

If you enjoy all thoe activites, please, by all means, enjoy it. But, I have learned that while it's fun to participate, the downside is the weight gain adn the guilt and the feeling bad later on. I think forward to that, and it stops me.
  • Kellyeee2013
    Options
    I am nervous about Christmas too because I will be away... so I am relying on other people's cooking or takeout while travelling PLUS I won't be near my gym... ugh.

My plan is to still try and keep fit... by walking or maybe using a gym as a guest. For the next few weeks events are spread out (3 potlucks!!!) so I am just planning to use potluck days as my cheat day, really. But to also eat in moderation and not take as much as I would have in the past and to aim for the healthier items. My goal is to just hit the gym a bit more often and for longer when I do go to make up for it. Also, to drink 2 glasses of water before each meal, event, etc.

It is definitely hard though.
  • Kellyeee2013
    Options
    Also for me, I do not plan to look at a scale. What is the point of obsessing and feeling depressed about it? For me, this is a LIFESTYLE change... not just trying to lose weight. So, I need to keep this in mind when at events. What can I cut back on but still enjoy? You need to do what is enjoyable for you AND what fits with your goals, otherwise it is just another fad diet.
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,039 Member
    Options
    I get through it by basically not participating. I think it takes a certain mentality and not everyone is geared for it. I just don't care what people think. I look at all the fat people circling all the food and cake and things and I just think to myself, "that's why you're all fat", and it totally turns me off from wanting to be part of that. It also makes me feel strong by being different and not being a drone. But, again, you have to be an individual and not part of the crowd or group. It's hard to do for many people, or probably most people. I'm just odd enough where I don't really care much about what people think. I was asked yesterday why I wasn't having cake. I just said I try to not eat that kind of stuff. Comments ensued, and I just walked away once it calmed down. I think people try to push you to particiate because people are instictively herds. They want to be together and participate in things together, and if you don't participate, you are outcast.

That's OK. I like being lean and fit and feeling good in my clothes. I like being able to run and jump and lift heavy things. I like not having back problems anymore. I like getting out of bed now without any pain. I enjoy being able to walk up 4 flights of stairs with barely even getting any heavy breath going at all, while people around me are dying, they can't even talk they are so out of breath. I enjoy chosing my foods, and not having them chosen for me. I enjoy sleeping well, and feeling good all the way around. Those things are far more important than letting other bully and badger me into unhealthy activites.

...just my $.02

If you enjoy all thoe activites, please, by all means, enjoy it. But, I have learned that while it's fun to participate, the downside is the weight gain adn the guilt and the feeling bad later on. I think forward to that, and it stops me.

I think your $.02 is close to my $.02, except I do care think you can be in a group of people eating cake and not eat cake by just focusing on the conversation or if some one asks why you are not participating - come up with a stock answer -- mine is "I have already had all the cake/sweets I can eat today"... the "herd" doesn't have to know that amount is "zero" for me these days.

So December is going to mark my one year anniversary to take control of my health.. it will be an easy month to focus on being healthy rather than over indulging for me!
  • Shamrock_me
    Options
    I just spend more time on working out. I had Thanksgiving, I've had Birthday Cake, I've splurged.. I don't look at food as the big evil - I look at food as the gasoline to fuel my workout. I know if I'm going to eat all that - I'm going to burn like hell in the gym. If I don't want to put in the effort in the workout I don't eat the yummy yummies. I lost 2 lbs over the 4 day Thanksgiving holiday. I spent 2 hours at the gym each day, stayed active through the day (shopping & walking), and ate sensibly.

Some people see calories.. I see chin ups, sit ups, longer runs, harder elliptical settings... I see a challenge I want to overcome. It's all about how you look at it. Don't see defeat before you even get there.. hard work, effort.. these are not easy things for a reason.
  • Linli_Anne
    Linli_Anne Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    Holidays/Celebrations are harder for me - my mind and emotions automatically link the food with the good feeling around the event.

So, this year I am working hard on separating the two. Please don't read that as deprivation though.

My mental approach is that I want to step out of the moment at least every 30 minutes to take a minute to reflect on all the non-food happiness. Children laughing, carols playing, warm fire burning, the smell of the fresh Christmas tree, the reflection of all the ribbons and wrapping. I want to log all of the things about this season that are completely separate from food....mentally.

As for my eating approach, I will log everything. I will not graze between meals - just because someone has put out a plate of chocolates does not mean that I must eat them. I will only eat off of a plate - so, if food is laid out, but no plates to be had, I won't nibble, but will instead add a treat or two to my plate at the meal.

And finally, I will not let myself feel guilty if things don't go 100%...since when does life ever go 100% as planned anyway. So, if I pop a chocolate in my mouth without thinking, so be it.
  • Monie_LG
    Options
    I believe the key is moderation and extra workout hours. In my case, I usually make sure not to eat humongous portions during the holidays. Limiting myself to small portions will still mess up my dieting, but it won't ruin it as much. And anyway, it's only for a short period of time, what I'm dreading the most is after the holidays, when all the gyms are packed :frown:
    Plus, adding a couple of hours of workout during that time won't hurt! :)
  • jfish428
    jfish428 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I really like your idea of only eating off a plate! Such a great way to watch what you're eating! I'm going to have to steal that idea.
    Holidays/Celebrations are harder for me - my mind and emotions automatically link the food with the good feeling around the event.

So, this year I am working hard on separating the two. Please don't read that as deprivation though.

My mental approach is that I want to step out of the moment at least every 30 minutes to take a minute to reflect on all the non-food happiness. Children laughing, carols playing, warm fire burning, the smell of the fresh Christmas tree, the reflection of all the ribbons and wrapping. I want to log all of the things about this season that are completely separate from food....mentally.

As for my eating approach, I will log everything. I will not graze between meals - just because someone has put out a plate of chocolates does not mean that I must eat them. I will only eat off of a plate - so, if food is laid out, but no plates to be had, I won't nibble, but will instead add a treat or two to my plate at the meal.

And finally, I will not let myself feel guilty if things don't go 100%...since when does life ever go 100% as planned anyway. So, if I pop a chocolate in my mouth without thinking, so be it.
  • chulie
    chulie Posts: 282
    Options
    My advice...what's the point of looking awesome if there is no one in your life to appreciate it. I think you can only stare and love your own "guns" so much before you get bored! hahaha...I think it's so sad people have to not hang out with friends so they can look good? I'm such a people person, I could never avoid people for the sake of vanity.....so I just go...act responsible and if I go over...I make sure I have a kick butt workout to off set it.. I usually work out 3 times a week so during December I up that to like 4 times just to compensate...then I get the best of both worlds Life is too short!!!!!! hahahahaha.. Good luck!
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    December's just one of those month's you're going to have to do the best you can do to plan, but realize that you're human and sometimes life makes other plans than the ones you had in mind.

Do the best to get your damage control strategies in place, and do what you can to minimize the holiday demons, and remember what your aiming for.