Question for those who are between 200-230lbs.

Options

Replies

• wonderwomn27
    wonderwomn27 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    IM 253 I GO THE GYM N DO 20 MIN. OF ELIPTICAL OR 20 MIN. ON THE STATIONARY BIKE, AND A LITTLE LIFTING WEIGHTS... LITTLE BY LITTLE IM GOING TO INCREASE MY TIME ON THE CARDIO MACHINE. IM REALLY TRYING TO WATCH WHAT I EAT MORE THAN ANYTHING...... HOPE I'VE HELPED U,, GOOD LUCK!! :)
  • WhataBroad
    WhataBroad Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I am 218lbs. I jog 3.5 - 4miles 4 times a week and do HIIT intervals 2 times a week, using 15lb weights.
    I did the C25k at 240lbs, got proper shoes and took it slow and easy. I also like the youtube exercise tv workouts for variety or when I have some extra energy =)
  • itsmyvwbeetle
    itsmyvwbeetle Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I am 221, 5'7". I am on week 7 of c25k and I have also done 30 day shred, power yoga, and pilates.
  • chocl8girl
    chocl8girl Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    I started at 276 pounds, and was plateaued around 230 for a very long time before I finally started losing again (I am at 171 now). I pretty much did a LOT of walking. As fast as I could go. Now I can walk at least 6 miles before I even think about being tired. Started gradually adding some intervals of light jogging. I still am not much of a runner, and just do intervals mostly, but it's easier now. I've done Jillian Michaels' 30-day Shred. Highly recommended. I gained a lot of strength/endurance from that.
  • cnelson1974
    cnelson1974 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Right now I just walk my dogs. My nutritionist and doctors are trying to regulate out my high blood pressure, etc. I'm not all that good at following through though. When I do go out, I have two dogs that need to walk seperately so it comes out to about 45min.-60min. of walking at a moderate pace. I'll try to be good and walk my dogs on both Saturday and Sunday.
  • aStrongerSteph
    aStrongerSteph Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Currently just below the 200 mark but, I have been doing the elliptical, treadmill, stationary and regular bikes, light weights, Walk Away The Pounds and Turbo Jam DVD's the whole time and that was at 325 lbs. Whatever movement you can get in and build up that muscle will help. I even walk our stairs somedays and man it seems like a small thing but, you feel it after 15 mins. Best of luck to you!
  • Quierstina
    Quierstina Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    My heaviest weight was 283 but in Feb. I was 266.8. currently 216.8. Beachbody Turbo Jam was a great program to reintroduce me to working out. From there I moved to TurboFire Starter. I've recently went back to the gym and I love elliptical and the stair climber. Personally, I think the best thing you can do is find a workout you love to do that will help keeps you motivated.
  • Helloonurse
    Options
    Elliptical for cardio and weights for strength. All low impact.
  • misalillstead
    misalillstead Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I started out at 247 last january and am currently 216. I'm doing a P90X/Turbo Jam hybrid routine, mainly in the evenings... as I'm not a morning person! I eat anywhere from 1300-1700 a day, depending on how hungry I am. Lots of protein, veggies and fruits... and looooots of water!
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    I started mfp at 260 lbs and I did it the wrong way..1,200 calories a day and LOTS and LOTS of cardio...lost around 70 lbs in 5 months, but then put on 15 lbs over christmas.

then I did it the RIGHT way and increased my calories to 1,700 and ate back around 75% of my exercise calories and been steadily maintaining my goal weight for over 6 months...also became a runner, too
  • s_fehr
    s_fehr Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I am currently at 219, started at 225. I started the couch to 5K program but i repeat the weeks. I am on week 3, but did week 2 twice. I also use the elliptical and today started the Jillian Michaels 30 Day shred. I tend to get bored and give up on things so i am trying to mix it up. I also try to go for a walk now and again or walk short distances i would normally drive to get in extra exercise. I also live in Saskatchewan and have been blessed with the luck of being able to shovel snow for extra exercise :)
  • ChristiH4000
    ChristiH4000 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    When I started working out, I was between 225-240lbs (depends on which time), but I started with yoga to help build strength and flexibility, which will help keep you from getting injured. Then I moved on to the elliptical coupled with the weight machines at the gym for cardio and strength training. The elliptical is friendlier on the knees and the weight machines help to teach proper form.

Just keep moving! :-) Wishing luck and love-of-self to you!

ETA - I still do yoga at least once a week. It's become my absolute favorite thing to do for myself.
  • nikkiprickett
    nikkiprickett Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    bump :)
    I'm around 195 so I'm close enough-I'll come back and read and comment :)
  • BBEAU88
    Options
    I started MFP at 210lbs, and my exercise of choice was vinyasa yoga twice a week. It really helped to strengthen my body. :) In addition, I added in forcing myself to walk more--whether it be by parking my car further away, or by purposely making myself take the "longer" routes through the office/house. Just anything to keep myself moving a little longer!
  • rosebudbutterfly
    rosebudbutterfly Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I use to do the ellipitcal 5 times a week plus walk my dog and mow my yard on weekends. The last couple weeks I got a trainer which I go to once a week and do zumba once or twice a week. The days I miss my zumba class I do the elliptical anywhere from 30 mins to a hour. I started at 270 lbs a couple years ago at my last weighting I was 211 lbs but I haven't weighted since the 1st of the month.
  • megalin9
    megalin9 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    I started at 253. I am currently around 209.

I started doing mostly cardio with some strength-training.

Now I am doing mostly strength-training with some cardio.

MWF - Full body strength training circuit (weighted lunges/squats, bench press/push-ups/dumbbell flies, bent over rows/seated cable rows, bicep curls/assisted pull-ups, tricep extensions/dips/presses, lateral shoulder raises/presses/shrugs, crunches/sit-ups/planks)

Tues - 30-min spin class
    Thurs - 2-mile run

I eat between 1700-1800 calories (TDEE - 20%) and eat back most of exercise calories.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I was actually over 300 lbs when I started. Now I am around 215 to 220. At first, I did lots and lots of cardio. Now, I lift 2 to 3 times a week and just wear a pedometer and make certain I get 10,000 steps a day.
  • dawnhudd83
    Options
    I use my elliptical for 30 to 45 minutes or I go for a 30-35 jog/walk (I jog for 1m 30s and then walk for 2 mins).
  • helyg
    helyg Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    I started at 210lbs, and I did a lot of walking, cycling and swimming. I am now 168lbs and still walk, swim and cycle but have also started running. I also do yoga.
  • Snikkee
    Snikkee Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I am 5'4 205 lbs.

I do vigorous cycling, ( stationary ) 40-60 minutes, running, jogging, strength training, circuit training, and walking. I work out when I can, which is usually 5-7am and 5-7pm