100 lbs, what the...?

Options
2»

Replies

• kathymichell
    Options
    I see what you mean with the dieting part which used to be difficult for me too... but if you want I can help you out. Let me know if you are interested. I also started working out and I feel 10x better then before. Don't give up love. ♥:flowerforyou:
  • karag413
    karag413 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Welcome. We share very similar stories, please feel free to add me. I am a tall woman with larger build as well, though I have been 300+ pounds for most of my adult life. The whole key to weight loss / getting healthy is 99% in your mind. There is no one that can do it FOR you; you have to be ready to do it yourself and you CAN'T beat yourself up when you backslide. Good luck, hope to hear from you soon.
  • nat270
    nat270 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Your story is my story!! I know the feeling of "pretending" to diet for years. Feeling like I'm depriving myself day in and day out just to get on the scale... and didn't even lose a pound! (or a kg. in my case) So what's the point?? - You are not alone...I feel your pain! ;o) Recently I joined a "fat group" -a group of people that need to lose a lot of weight. We work out at a local gym x3 a week - get weighed in every 2 weeks, have seminars on nutrition and different things. Never imagined myself in a group like that! I thought it wouldn't be challenging enough for me because I need to be challenged. I am very competitive - but it seems to work. I haven't missed out on 1 gym class - even starting to go extra. I'm finally getting my calories under control and it's working. Good luck on your journey... if you need/want any moral support feel free to add me to your friend list.
  • WDEvy
    WDEvy Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Right there with you! I'm on my 11th week of my lifestyle change. Down just a hair short of 20 lbs, already over 10" off. got another 90 lbs to lose. Add me if you want to. I'm very active on here and in for the long haul!
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    BMI is not the only measure to go by, just like the scale isn't the only number either.

When I was 28, I married and moved 3 hours from the only life I knew. I was at that time 184 pounds. In March/April 2011, I topped the scales at 376, effectively 200 pounds higher over the course of 17 years. UGH. I've lost just over 100 pounds since then.

Step 1: no more whining, wallowing, and negative self-talk. It's more destructive than whatever it was that got you here.
    Step 2: Log everything. Every bite you take.
    Step 3: Make small changes in the right direction. Start with logging everyhting, and slowly add things to it that are helpful - drinking more water, focusing on lean-healthy proteins.

Some blog pages:
    http://baysweightloss.blogspot.com/2012/03/losing-weight.html
    http://baysweightloss.blogspot.com/2012/05/things-that-have-helped-along-way.html
    http://baysweightloss.blogspot.com/2012/05/dealing-with-demons.html
    http://baysweightloss.blogspot.com/2012/06/know-what-youre-aiming-for.html
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Your story sounds a lot like mine except my weight came on quite quickly and then I played around with 20-40 pounds for years. Something about "dieting" that I've learned this time around is not to do without those foods you like or want to try. There's no need to deprive yourself! Just eat well and healthy 80-90% of the time and then those little indulgences won't have as big of an influence. We all have different things that work for us but I still think this principle works for just about everyone.

Good luck!
  • onyxwood
    onyxwood Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    wow......reading that was actually like my life story! im sick of "dieting", need a new way of life including healthier eating choices, exercise and boosting my confidence! feel free to add me, i just started on here as well........we can motivate each other! :):happy:
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    Track everything you eat. Start exercising, if you haven't been. I personally would not worry about calculating the estimated calorie burn, as it can be inaccurate. Simply t focus on the accurate recording of your food within your limit. Do not eat more to make up for your exercise unless you are working out vigorously several hours a day.

Weigh yourself once a week, or more frequently if desired. Use a method of estimating your body fat percentage. No, it won't be as accurate as a scan, but it will provide a baseline.

One day at a time. It''s almost a cliché, but at times focusing on long-term goals is overwhelming and unproductive.
  • SairahRose
    SairahRose Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Baby steps. Honestly. It might feel so frustrating when you're not losing weight "RIGHT NOW".. but it will come off, and you know you can do it :D *hugs*

And I agree with you on the BMI thing, it's really not that good.