sugar addiction

Options
Just wondering if anybody knows anything about sugar addiction? Is it a real problem, is there a way to overcome it? I'd appreciate any thoughts or info? Thanks!!

Replies

• Mellie13
    Mellie13 Posts: 424
    Options
    From a personal perspective I belive it is *somewhat* real. But you can totally overcome it. I was always one of those people that always "needed" something sweet and no one would ever hear the words "that's too sweet" come out of my mouth. Seriously!! But since I have decided to become disciplined and and just not buy the crap and I read lables like a crazy person and don't ingest things that are not real food, you would not believe the changes!!!! Now, fruit and dark chocolate are as sweet as it gets for me. I even had a fig newton the other day and actually uttered the words "wow, that's too sweet". Unbelievable!! I even find carrots sweet! It's really about training your mind and your body. If I can do it, anyone can!!
  • healthychoices
    healthychoices Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have also had the same problem with eating sweets with lunch and dinner and evening snack. I treat it like an alcoholic would. Tempted by it being around me due to my children, but can't have it. Feel if I don't eat any during the week, then if I eat a little on the weekend or special events, then I'm not totally withdrawn.
  • bodycon
    bodycon Posts: 16
    Options
    I feel like I'm completely addicted to sugar, but also the feeling associated with the taste of chocolate. I find that the more sugar you eat, the more you need to eat eg. if you have a mars bar, you totally want another one about 20 minutes later because you get a real buzz.
    what i've found best is to replace your sugary snacks like sweets and chocolate with natural sugars such as fruit, because they do still give you a good hit of sugar, but are lower in calories so you eat a bigger meal because you're not wasting empty calories of things like chocolate. an apple has around 70 calories for example, compared to chocolate bars which have up to 300.
    its getting out of the habit of eating chocolate thats difficult, because you crave the taste, but supplement your diet with heaps and sweet fruit like strawberries, apples and grapes, you won't feel such a come down, then at least it'll only be natural sugars that you need for a boost :)

in the first few days, about 2 or 3, from stopping eating sugary snacks, you will feel much tireder but like i say, natural sugars will help that.
    and if you really can't resist, things like chocolate covered brazil nuts still give you a fix, but a few brazil nutsnuts are substantial enough to make you feel full as well, plus theyre really good for your skin :)

i stopped eating chocolate, REEEEALLY CRAVED it the first day, but then after a few days it was bearable. i think its like cigarettes, the more you have, the more you want. so nip it in the bud!!
  • Mellie13
    Mellie13 Posts: 424
    Options
    Dark Chocolate (70% cocoa or more) actually has great health benefits, just stay away from the milk chocolate, and the it's best to stick with "everything in moderation".
  • JackieCarlos
    Options
    Hi! Sugar addiction in my opinion can be your worst enemy especially if you're trying to lose weight. I have a weakness for desserts. Especially cake.I used to eat cake 3-4 times a week. What I've done was instead of eating cake, I baked myself low fat oatmeal muffins with walnuts. I told myself the only way I'm allowed to eat a muffin is after a workout. I still do eat cake, but not as often. Maybe once or twice a month. Ever since I've done this, my weight loss has been more rapid. My advice to anyone who is a sugar addict is to try and replace that sugar item with something more healthier. ie fruits, yogurt, chew a piece of sugar-free gum or for you dessert people...like me, research some healthy dessert recipes. But remember, even though the dessert you baked is healthy, it does not mean you can indulge yourself. Calories will add up!
  • kgrutch
    kgrutch Posts: 223
    Options
    i am not even a real "sweets" eater but since i have tried to decrease the amount of sugar in my diet i notice a difference. if i even eat one source of sugar i definitely want more. its strange how it makes you crave more. i try to avoid sugar at all cost and if i have a small amount for a special occasion, i make sure it doesnt lead to more and more and more. good luck. watch for hidden sources of sugar too, like whole wheat breads, bars, look at the ingredients of food and you will shocked as to how many things list sugar (even worse high fructose corn syrup).
  • finallyproud
    finallyproud Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Days when I'm REALLY craving sugar I eat an apple with a tbsp. of peanut butter or Jello sugar free dark chocolate pudding. It is so good and only 60 calories!!
  • fitinyoga14
    fitinyoga14 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    i've read previous posts that have said that the best way to kick a sugar addiction is to quit cold turkey- cut out all added sugar that is. sugar in fruit and veggies, and whole grains are okay as they cannot be avoided. that means cutting out packaged snacks that contain sugar, as well as yogurt with added sugar, cereal, and granola. all the responses said that they were very successful with this approach.

me, however, still craves sweets on a daily basis. perhaps it is because i refuse to cut out added sugar all together. i don't know what i would do without cereal and cinnamon-sugar almonds! also, i need a tiny bit of dark chocolate every night. in my opion though, i'm capable of keeping my cravings under control.
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    i've read previous posts that have said that the best way to kick a sugar addiction is to quit cold turkey- cut out all added sugar that is. sugar in fruit and veggies, and whole grains are okay as they cannot be avoided. that means cutting out packaged snacks that contain sugar, as well as yogurt with added sugar, cereal, and granola. all the responses said that they were very successful with this approach.

me, however, still craves sweets on a daily basis. perhaps it is because i refuse to cut out added sugar all together. i don't know what i would do without cereal and cinnamon-sugar almonds! also, i need a tiny bit of dark chocolate every night. in my opion though, i'm capable of keeping my cravings under control.

IMHO, cold turkey or very regimented restriction is the key. I think I have addictive behavior with sugar...I use it the same was that I would a drug. I have to restrict myself to dessert every two to three weeks. Other than that, I get my sweets fix from nuts and fruit.

Cold turkey is the only way for me to kill the "taste likes more" aspect of my sweets issue. (one cookie leads to another, leads to another, leads to another...). Also, when I don' t have any added sugar in my diet, I stop craving sugar. So, it's worth the trade off.
  • TwentyTen
    TwentyTen Posts: 585
    Options
    I recently gave up my coffee addiction, which was as much or more, actually a sugar addiction. I loaded my coffee's with alot of sugar, and have done so for decades.

It was no picnic. I had to go cold turkey, because weaning just never worked for me. It was rough, but what surprised me was that after the caffiene withdrawal symptoms eased up, I still felt pretty crappy. I did some research and learned that is takes even longer to get over the sugar. Was a good two weeks before I began to feel human again.

Fruit and green tea are still holding me together, it has now been about 5 weeks.

Good luck to you!
  • Coppersky55
    Options
    Sweets have always been a dominant part of my day. I always had dessert with all meals but breakfast and snacks were often sweets. I have found that as I make healthier food choices, I crave sweets less often. I do still have chocolate cravings but have noticed if I keep it to a couple dove promises every few days, I am covered and not blowing my health trend. I also have substituted clementines for my afternoon sweet craving and I find I have more energy. I think it is a maneageable addiction. Good luck hope that helps:flowerforyou:
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    It's real, and there's a lot of us struggling with it every day. I don't really have any good tips, because I don't seem to be having much luck kicking the habit myself!