Women and lifting heavy

Options
I've been hearing a lot about the benefits of women lifting heavy, but never about the actual amount of weight to use. Is there a certain baseline weight that is best to start with?

Replies

• love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    Heavy is relative. Lift heavy for you. Usually 12 reps is the MAX and by the last rep you feel like you're dying--or at least that you could not eek out even one more rep.
  • sarahstrezo
    sarahstrezo Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I think when people refer to "heavy" it's mostly meaning free weights....dumbbells and barbells loaded with plates. I've been lifting "heavy" since the start of September and I started with the lightest weight possible on workouts...then either realized I could lift much heavier than I thought or I built up to more.
  • EmiVReyes
    EmiVReyes Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Good topic. I just started weight lifting. I'd like to learn more.
  • Pandasarecool
    Pandasarecool Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    what are 15 pound dumbbells considered?
  • indigo_rose
    Options
    Good topic. I just started weight lifting. I'd like to learn more.

^ this..
  • Fat_2_Fit_Mommy
    Fat_2_Fit_Mommy Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I want to learn more about this also
  • sxyfitmomandwife
    sxyfitmomandwife Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Start with a weight that you can get on 5-8 reps in for 3-4 sets I use and I have my clients use dumbbells, cables, weight plates, barbells, olympic bars, even machines. kettle bells, it depends on the exercise you are doing.
  • krickeyuu
    krickeyuu Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    bump
    Options
    what are 15 pound dumbbells considered?

If you can lift them no more than 12 times then I'd say they are heavy for you.
    Options
    Also, rep range is dependent on goals. I never do more than 8 reps of any single exercise so for me it wouldn't be heavy enough if I could do say 10 or 12.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    It's relative, and progressive. What was heavy for me six months ago isn't heavy anymore.
  • superkel317
    Options
    Heavy is relative. Lift heavy for you. Usually 12 reps is the MAX and by the last rep you feel like you're dying--or at least that you could not eek out even one more rep.

Thanks! :)
  • superkel317
    Options
    Start with a weight that you can get on 5-8 reps in for 3-4 sets I use and I have my clients use dumbbells, cables, weight plates, barbells, olympic bars, even machines. kettle bells, it depends on the exercise you are doing.

Thanks for the advice! This was very helpful! :)
  • wigglypeaches
    wigglypeaches Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Heavy lifting can also refer to Olympic and Deadlifting. Relevant article here: http://www.muscleandstrength.com/articles/why-women-should-deadlift.html
  • girlykate143
    girlykate143 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Is a full can of paint heavy for you? What about in both hands, while you're walking up stairs - like 5 times in a row?
    Just take an everyday thing and see if you can pick it up/then back down several times. Gauge what's heavy for you.
    Also, my guess is you are underestimating what you can lift or push or whatever.

You can probably pick up a bicycle, but not lift it over your head. Or, if you can, you might not be able to do that several times.
    You will work up to heavier weights. Maybe try a 15 lb dumbell in each hand. Then, if that's too light, go to 17.5, then 20. Try going to 12 reps of something and if you can barely do that last 11 or 12, that’s your point of failure and you know you’re at a heavy weight. (For example, yesterday I used the kettlebell for a gobble squat where I could do 2 sets of 12 reps, but on third set I could only do like 8 and almost dropped it). Little did I know, my trainer had upped the weight to like 50 lbs from last week’s 44. So, that’s progress. :wink:

Use the Search feature here to look up weights-related topics and you'll hit on a bunch of good info.
  • baxgilter
    baxgilter Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    It's relative, and progressive. What was heavy for me six months ago isn't heavy anymore.

Yup what she said. If you finish a a set of 10 reps and say to yourself I could have done more. It isn't heavy enough. If at rep 9 you are going come on I can do this and rep 10 you are struggling but can do it I say you are good. Try a little more weight each time. Sometimes you won't be able to go up, especially arms excercises, at least in my experience, but that is ok. Push yourself and show the boys how its done!
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    I like what everyone here has said. Just wanted to add that New Rules of Lifting for Women is a good book if you want to get started and need a program.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    the bench marks you should be aiming for are: 35 push ups in a row, 5 pull ups in a row, Bench press .75 your body weight 10 times, Press 75% of your body weight overhead 5 times, Deadlift 1.5 times your body weight 5 times, Squat your body weight 10 times.

where you start is dependant on your current strength level.
  • plaingirly
    Options
    Think I need to buy some weights!
  • superkel317
    Options
    Heavy lifting can also refer to Olympic and Deadlifting. Relevant article here: http://www.muscleandstrength.com/articles/why-women-should-deadlift.html

Excellent article! Thank you!