i've put weight back on :(

Options
I am so fed up today. My weight has stayed the same all week, and today it has gone up by 3lb!! I have stayed within my calories, worked out a couple of times (tho admittedly not as much as usual cos of my back pain and the 2 day course I went on) and i've drunk gallons of water! My head tells me i can't put 3lb on overnight, it must be water, but my heart says it can't be cos i've drunk loads and just feels like crying. Does anybody have any idea what i'm doing wrong, and how to get the scales moving again? (in the right direction!)

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    open your diary
  • Smokey19
    Smokey19 Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    It sounds like water weight gain to me. Have you been eating a lot of sodium? Muscles retain water to heal after a workout, also. Feel free to add me.
  • richx83
    richx83 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Based on your diary I would say you are over estimating your exercise speed & calories burnt. Try halving the amounts for each exercise you do and eat to that amount of calories for a month and see what happens.
  • crystalbluewolf13
    crystalbluewolf13 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Sounds like water retention to me
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    you dont eat any of your exercise calories back? so some days you have net about 700 cals. this will only encourage your body to burn muscle instead of fat.

the extra weight could be from the nandos a couple of days ago? watre retention from high sodium. my advice would be to not weigh every day, unless you are prepared for the fluctualtions and learn when your body holds water.
  • carly_am
    carly_am Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Hello,

The important thing is to not let it get you down or demotivate you!! Weight loss can be a long term life change (depending on how much you're looking to lose) and so there's bound to be some hiccups or even anomalies along the way. The best thing to do is just put the scales away and keep at it. Look for other changes in your health, complexion, fitness etc. these are all equally good measures of your life style change.

Keep up the great work!!
  • plumsparkle
    plumsparkle Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Thanks everybody. For my workouts, I just go by the calorie amounts that MFP says i've used, but then i dont eat any of them back. I see lots of posts that say i should eat at least some of them back, its just kind of hard to get my head round eating more to weigh less!! And yes, I have eaten out a couple of times this week, so maybe it is the extra sodium. I'm not going to let it get me too down, and i'm certainly not giving up!! I've just done todays workout, and yes, I can feel differences in energy levels and I'm sleeping better, so those are definitely reasons to carry on, no matter what the scales say!!

Thanks again everybody :flowerforyou:
  • maramarx
    Options
    Are you taking your measurements as well? that might be a better indicator of how your going.

PS I know how you feel I had a small gain this week and it's upsetting and discouraged me but I'm determined to keep going!
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    The body naturally gains and loses over the course of the day, some days will be higher, some lower sometimes for no recognisable reason.

If this has happened in one week alone, don't even worry about. If this is happening week after week, that's when you need to take a long hard look at what you're doing
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Thanks everybody. For my workouts, I just go by the calorie amounts that MFP says i've used, but then i dont eat any of them back. I see lots of posts that say i should eat at least some of them back, its just kind of hard to get my head round eating more to weigh less!! And yes, I have eaten out a couple of times this week, so maybe it is the extra sodium. I'm not going to let it get me too down, and i'm certainly not giving up!! I've just done todays workout, and yes, I can feel differences in energy levels and I'm sleeping better, so those are definitely reasons to carry on, no matter what the scales say!!

Thanks again everybody :flowerforyou:

If it's weird to eat them back, set your account to lightly active (if you workout 3-4 days a week) or moderately active (if you workout5-6 days week). Then you don't have to worry. But you seem to be under eating. Most women I know are around 1700-2100 based on how active they are.

BTW, everything you eat you put weight on... but you don't put fat on and that is what is important. I fluctuate 10 lbs a day ;)
  • SavageFeast
    SavageFeast Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Just keep calm and carry on :smile:
  • carlysuzanne85
    carlysuzanne85 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I think all of the comments here are right on. Water weight can be a factor, muscle gain can be a factor, eating closer to your weigh in this week than you did last week can be a factor, etc. This can be a frustrating journey, especially the moments we are on the scale, but remember that there will be ups and downs and sometimes you will need to tweak things (eating more, less sodium, whatever it might be) and remember that you're on the right track. One time when I was frustrated that the scale was just not moving and I was talking to my boyfriend about how discouraged I was and why am I even doing all this hard work for no results, he said to me, "So, are you going to go back to the things that we know don't work--eating poorly and not exercising? Just keep going, the results will come." Be patient with yourself :) Feel free to add me!
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    ....Water weight can be a factor, muscle gain can be a factor, eating closer to your weigh in this week than you did last week can be a factor, etc....
    If somebody's net caloric intake is 700 calories a day, muscle gain is most assuredly NOT a factor. It's nearly impossible to gain muscle at any appreciable deficit - doing it on an extreme deficit is simply not going to happen. If you're barely providing your body with enough to survive, it doesn't have anything extra available to make muscle.
  • Drussander
    Drussander Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about 3 pounds. I might worry about 5 or more though and take a look at what I am doing. Water retention from salty food, and other factors can cause water retention. Also, hydrating yourself can even temporarily add a bit of weight. Just keep:

1) Eating within your calorie alotment
    2) logging everything you eat
    3) exercising and staying active

and you should begin to lose weight again. Weight loss is likea rollercoaster - it goes up and down and up and down.
  • plumsparkle
    plumsparkle Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Just keep calm and carry on :smile:

Not like the poster in my kitchen that says stay calm and eat a cupcake!!

(i have a bit of a cup cake fetish, and have pictures, cups, all sorts with them on, even a brolly, but strangely, I very rarely fancy one to eat!)
  • virjenmarie
    virjenmarie Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Maybe your period is coming sometimes right before mine comes i go up even though i worked out and was spot on food wise.Or retaining water from your workouts :( Its okay don't be hard on yourself your weight will fluctuate.:glasses: