I want to talk about WEDDINGS!

Options
Mine is coming in August of 2013 and I know I annoy my fiance with all the details. So, someone, anyone, talk to me!

color schemes

centerpieces

flower types

wedding dress styles

runners/tablecloths/napkins

food/menus

All of it. I want to chat about things that matter to the bride but rarely matter to anyone else!

Replies

• n0ob
    n0ob Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    We got married, we ate food, we danced...

that's all I cared about...

****STAFF NOTE: Post has been edited due to violations of guideline #17****
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines
  • CharMarieDavis
    Options
    Kind of random but if you download the app The Knot, it's a forum to ask all questions wedding related. And then many brides on there created Instagram Accounts to share pics for wedding stuff. Helped me out a lot when planning my wedding last year!
  • KMRose1788
    KMRose1788 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    There is a 2013 brides group on here, come join us :)
  • superpapa16
    superpapa16 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    We eloped. Best.Decision.Ever!
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Breaking up is cheaper.
  • Toya2xcel
    Toya2xcel Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    We got married, we ate food, we danced, ...

LMAO! did my husband write this?! LOL
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    I haven't talked weddings since I had mine.

That crap is exhausting.
  • spade117
    spade117 Posts: 2,466 Member
    Options
    Weddings are the number one cause of divorce.
  • alvalaurie
    alvalaurie Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    We got married, we ate food, we danced...

SMH...typical man! LOL

OP - first of all, CONGRATULATIONS!!! This will be exciting & stressful all at the same time. I planned my first wedding all by myself & ended up so stressed that I was just glad it was over with in the end. I know you didn't ask for advice, but as an *ahem*, "person of age" I feel it's my duty to hand out advice. Just one thing - ENJOY planning it! All those details you stress over, guess what? NO body knows that it wasn't planned like that.

Just. Have. Fun!!
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    Kind of random but if you download the app The Knot, it's a forum to ask all questions wedding related. And then many brides on there created Instagram Accounts to share pics for wedding stuff. Helped me out a lot when planning my wedding last year!

ooooh instagram. I don't have an account though. hmph. can I still look at stuff?
    Options
    There is a 2013 brides group on here, come join us :)

will do! :)
  • jmeyer925
    jmeyer925 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I'm not engaged, nor do I plan to be in the near future.

BUT

theknot.com is awesome!

Bridezillas, Say Yes to the Dress, Four Weddings are some of my secret obsession shows lol.
  • Morgaine_on_the_move
    Options
    We had a really nice wedding. Simple and classy. We got married in an old church, one with a lot of character, and we had the reception in my parents' backyard. They live out in the country and have several acres, so it was really pretty. Our colors were white and cobalt, and my dress had a cobalt sash around the bodice. I was very low-key about everything--I wasn't a bridezilla or anything :).

If I could do it differently, I'd pick a photographer WELL in advance. We thought my husband's aunt, who is a photographer, was going to take pictures, but she backed out a couple months before the wedding ( I was PISSED) and we had to settle for a photographer who was just ok.
  • emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    What is your BMI?
  • JenKillough
    JenKillough Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    *shudder*

It's why I eloped.
  • clydethecat
    clydethecat Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    we got married on an aircraft carrier docked in alameda ca. i didnt have colors, or runners, or anything. i had gerber daisies on every table, i wore them in my hair too. i didnt have bridesmaids, we just had our family stand up for us. we spent most of the budget on the venue.

i did have an open bar and it was catered. the moms did most of the decorating. my mil and aunt in law made a candy bar, one of our close friends made a bunch of baklava. one of our friends made all the center pieces.

i got my dress online and had it altered. it was only $100 for the dress.

the wedding was spectacular. we got married on the fan tail overlooking the bay, right at sunset. the city lights were just coming on. beautiful.

then the party was awesome. we had the whole museum to ourselves, we had docents lead tours of the ship. there was dancing and all sorts of cavorting.

people still come up to me and tell me my wedding was the best they've every been too. i planned the wedding for my husband, and the men that never have a good time at traditional weddings.

it was a blast :)
    Options
    What is your BMI?

WHAT?!?
  • n0ob
    n0ob Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    What is your BMI?

Mine's roughly equal to my ACT score...
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    Options
    Mine is coming in August of 2013 and I know I annoy my fiance with all the details. So, someone, anyone, talk to me!

color schemes

centerpieces

flower types

wedding dress styles

runners/tablecloths/napkins

food/menus

All of it. I want to chat about things that matter to the bride but rarely matter to anyone else!

The first you need to consider is your budget. I always feel that it's imperative you have 2 budgets. The first is the amount you disclose to your wedding planner (the lower budget). The 2nd is your absolute cap budget. Some people like to think that a 1/4 of your budget should go towards your dress, but I always feel that it's more important for the bride to be happy in what she's wearing and for many modern brides its rarely about the price point - but her sense of style.

I am not the sort who likes to be involved in the minute developments and details for the day - the rehersals - the engagement party - the bridal shower - the buck's party - the groomsmen's gifts/the groom's cake, the bridesmaids gifts. the bridal cake .... I understand it's a whole lot to consider and put together. When it's my time - I'm taking the easy way out - I'm calling Preston - I'll give him my vision/my man's vision (if he has any) and then bang - let's do it lol

What colours do you like? If you were to think of a central theme - what would it be? Where would it be? Because once you've established that, then it will be easier to walk through it with you. For example - I love Russian winters, so my dream wedding would be to have one of the rooms - I don't know which of the rooms should be decked out - reminiscent of a Russian winter only indoors. Then you also have to consider the time of the day - you'd rather marry. Breakfast is always cheap for catering purposes. A dinner menu is the most dear.

Okay ... For now :)
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I don't.

:quickly exits thread: