Why am I not losing more weight?

Options
2»

Replies

• rebeccap13
    rebeccap13 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    yeah my first two week were better then these last two. overall i have saved money from not eating out as often because i use to eat out 2x a day! Thanksgiving came and the taste of real food made me forget how good it tasted so I had a bad 3 days plus a bad hung over monday. I should probably stop alcohol all together or cut back to once every two weeks? I think i'm more upset about these shakes and the results i "heard" lol

If you think you can't eat "real" food and still lose weight then you're doing it wrong.

I eat plenty of real food, ice cream and beer even. Look into TDEE. Also like others have said, chances are your underestimating what you eat and overestimating what you burn. Its a harsh reality but one that I would say 95% on MFP have had to come to terms with.
  • bethanytowell
    bethanytowell Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    My suggestion is that you get a HRM to really know how many calories you are burning. Take any calorie burn that MFP or any machine gives you and cut it in half. I only burn 300 calories MAX in the gym for over an hour. Inaccurate calorie burns hurt many peoples success, i learned the hard way
  • samantha1242
    samantha1242 Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I see you eat out a lot, so there is also a good chance you are overeating a lot without even knowing it. Its tough to gauge a half order of chicken wings, especially since you have no idea how they were prepared. Maybe the cook added 2 tbsp of oil instead of 1, thats and added 140 calories right there.

i wouldnt doubt on days where you are 1800-1900 calories you are probably closer to 2300-2400 maybe higher.

Agreed. Without knowing how its prepared it can be difficult to get the correct calories. I always over-estimate if I eat out.
  • mistyladidah
    mistyladidah Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    It sounds to me (no expert) like your body is losing plenty! 7 pounds in a months is great! My thoughts are:

Of course you're hungry! You need things that are denser than liquid so it takes longer to digest, and thus it'll take longer for you to get hungry. I personally would eat meals instead of drink a shake. I have a protein shake that I use to replenish in the morning or after workouts as a snack, but no way is that a meal. Plus, budget-wise, are you going to drink 2 shakes a day forever instead of eat? Can you really afford that? I cant, plus I'd get SO frikin bored of the same thing 2x a day. Veggies and meat on the other hand, can be very interesting and versatile. Please be nice to yourself about eating too. Thanksgiving is a feast, but it's sort of wholesome food... at least you aren't surviving on twinkies!

In terms of exercise, Cardio is great for heart health, but I found that by first building muscles, I lost fat faster since there was something working under there. Even when I took a long break from logging and exercising (still tried to mind what I ate, but drank TONS) I lost ok since my metabolism was happy. Strength training or circuit training might help you a lot. It did me.

Drinking can slow you down. It doesn't have to though, plenty of people on here drink. However, keep in mind that the body will burn off booze cal. first, before fat. (At least, that's how I understand it.)

Keep it up, you are doing it!!!! Feel free to add me if you want...
  • lilsweetie2043
    lilsweetie2043 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I did look into tdee and it says 2613. 20 percent is 2091 calories which i net for sure below that ! guess i don't understand the tdee
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    A lot of your food is processed and contains a ton of salt, not to mention fat. If you can stop eating processed foods you'll drop weight.

There's the fat myth again. Processed foods, yes a concern. Healthy fats, no. But yes, dropping processed foods has health benefits, and one of them is weight loss as long as you are still remaining in a calorie deficit.

I eat lots of fat and salt (but not processed table salt) but very little processed foods and it's definitely giving me outstanding results. In fact, my results are mostly because of my fat intake imo.
  • Gramps251
    Gramps251 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    A lot of your food is processed and contains a ton of salt, not to mention fat. If you can stop eating processed foods you'll drop weight.

not true, i eat quite a fair bit of processed food with high sodium. She just needs to learn how to track her intake better. Takes a bit of trial and error, but when i dine out, ill usually add 25% more calories, do cover my *kitten*.

My statement might not be complete but there is nothing "not true" about it. I'm aware of the concept of as long as you're in calorie deficit you'll loose weight. You can eat nothing but snickers bar and ice cream and loose weight as long as you have a calorie deficit.

My sugestion was for her to eat less processed food. The advantages are; 1. She can eat more food, and stay fuller while losing weight; 2.) She will give her body more of the nutrition (not just fuel) to make her healthier and 3.) She will be making a lifestyle change that will help her stay healthier. (I also mentioned sodium. Water weight isn't fat but it does change ones weight and looks and I've never met anyone who's going for that bloated, puffy look)

Anything, as long as it fits my macros is true but I don't think anyone will argue that one is better off eating food that is nutritionally questionable. (maybe you'll argue it though) ;-)