Want to run? DO IT! Some crappy advice from a newbie.

Options
13»

Replies

• akihowl
    Options
    Thank you SO SO SOOOOOOoo much for posting this! I was just wondering how long it took until one could achieve the runner's high and no longer be in misery when running. I've been thinking about running for a while, but the winter setting in here has been a good excuse to stick with indoor exercising. Maybe I'll get up the nerve to head to a gym and use a treadmill...
  • lovechicagobears
    lovechicagobears Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much. I've been nervous about starting C25K since I weigh 311 pounds and don't want to kill my joints, but now I don't feel so discouraged since you said you were over 300 pounds too. I've been meaning to get fit for better walking shoes anyway, so I'll stop by a running store and see what they recommend.

Congratulations on your weight loss and running distance. The farthest I've ever been able to run without stopping was 1.5 miles, and that's when I was fourteen and weighed 160 pounds. ;)
  • cls_333
    cls_333 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Congratulations, what you've done is amazing, and takes a lot of work & determination. You should be immensely proud of yourself, which I'm sure you are! Glad to have you in our runners' world! :)
  • foxontherun03
    Options
    Thanks for sharing, man.
  • Maccbow
    Maccbow Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Waiting for the crappy advice since this advice isn't crappy at all!!!

:bigsmile: LOL! Excellent! I like your post, and agree completely!! Not crappy at all!!
  • speedy001
    speedy001 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Awesome post I too started out with c25k and I love running now. I have joined a running group and would have to say that getting out and running together is the best fun and even when in the middle of a horror run i still love it deep down. This year was a year of half and full marathons for me but my plan for next year is to head out into the bush and do some trail runs.

Thanks for sharing your story I think that's what is so great about running anyone can just get out there and do it.
  • likemeinvisible
    Options
    Thank you for your post, the biomechanics video was very informative. Not crappy at all and you're not a newb either !
  • jhanso86
    Options
    bump
  • DefyGravity1977
    DefyGravity1977 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this!! I have been running on the treadmill for a while and just yesterday got outside. I must say I love to run!!! While it is frustrating at the moment that I cannot always keep up the running pace, I find that it allows me time to focus and prepare for any chaos the day might hold. Going to be upgrading my shoes in the next few weeks and my headphones for my music. Just starting was half the fight.
  • amyplaysflute
    amyplaysflute Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Immediately after reading your post, I got up and got out my phone for the couch to 5k app that i downloaded and never used... and I went and did the first run. So thank you for that :] I feel great!
  • skinnygrlerica
    skinnygrlerica Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Yes sir... this is great advice. I tried out W1D1 of C25k but I got a really bad leg/foot cramp. I think I was dehydrated AND scared to run to begin with.

Thanks for sharing your experience....I 'll be trying out W1D1 again tomorrow =)