Training...Why do they make it so difficult/expensive??

I just joined a brand new LA Fitness earlier this week, and have been using the treadmill and Elliptical to get started. I went today to meet with one of the trainers (which they set up for me when I joined) which I thought was going to be like an orientation – to show me all the different machines – how to use them correctly, etc) But I was wrong. It was for them to try and and get me to sign up for their TRAINERS packages. The problem is, they have 2 main packages – one for a little over $200 a month and the other for a little over $100 a month….BUT the catch is it’s for a 52 week program. I do not want to lock in for a year!! And if I just want to have a trainer for one or two days a week (without the year commitment) she said its $50 a session (these are 25 min sessions) and they have to be bought in bulk/series.

I am not locking myself into a program for a year (especially since I will be moving out of State early next year) – but I had really wanted to come up with a good Strength training routine that I could work on….the cardio machines are not an issue – I can handle them. Should I just keep it simple and find a few of the leg/arm machines that I am comfortable with – and just some hand weight exercises. Or should I just dish out the $50 a session for a trainer? (depending on how many I have to buy at a time.) I know they seem to discourage that route in the BIG BOX places – they want you to sign these long contracts – but I am not going that way.

Any thoughts on just doing this on my own? I wanted to do this right – and GET a trainer…but now I have few options. It would end up costing me $400 for 8 sessions - that seems a bit crazy to me.

Replies

• jfan175
    jfan175 Posts: 812 Member
    You're a member of the gym, they should be responsible for showing you how to safely use the equipment without charging you anything above the membership fee. Trainers are hit and miss, and expensive! You can set up your own program....the most important consideration is that it be something that you enjoy and will stick with long term. You have to use your BS filter, but there's a lot of good info right here from people that have had great success.
  • jenniferinfl
    jenniferinfl Posts: 456 Member
    You can create your own training routine easily enough. Start with the machines to build confidence and eventually move on to free weights.

How often do you plan on going to the gym? If your planning on going a few times a week, then you can do arms one day, legs on another and torso another.. Just look through the machines, they usually have some kind of labeling on them that tell you what muscle group they work.

I did some searching about the internet and came across this page: http://www.answerfitness.com/156/total-body-workout-weight-machines-workout-routines/ There is a link to photos of some of the machines and a general guideline for an exercise routine using the machines. The weight should be heavy enough where you can barely finish 8-10 repetitions, where it feels like you are using the last ounce of your energy to do that final repetition. Of course, it shouldn't be so heavy that you are using jerking/fast motions to try to finish the set, then you need to go down a bit on weight.

I had a personal trainer before, their workout for me was almost identical to this one.. lol I could have just printed this out and saved myself $300 for 5 sessions.. lol
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    $50 for 25-min sessions is a rip off. Especially at someplace like LA Fitness where they likely don't pay enough to attract really qualified trainers.

If it was for an hour, that would be reasonable.
  • nebulinda
    nebulinda Posts: 120 Member
    There are lots of programs you can follow if you don't want to pay for a trainer (I agree, they are often too expensive). I would suggest The New Rules of Lifting for Women, Stronglifts, or Starting Strength (which is what I do). Read the books, do your own research, and watch lots of videos on correct form. If you are still unsure/confused when you get to the gym, just ask someone for help. In my experience, most gym-goers are very nice and helpful. Find a someone who looks nice and like they know what they're doing, and ask them to correct your form, or help you set up the squat rack, or whatever.
  • LauraDotts
    LauraDotts Posts: 732 Member
    My husband and I were given a basic starting routine for strength training by the trainer at Planet Fitness. We started on 6 different machines -- triceps, biceps, shoulder pull-down, chest press, leg press and ab crunches. Start with a weight that is not too light/not too heavy. On each machine start with 2 sets of 10. In 1-2 weeks increase to 3 sets of 10. Then 3 sets of 12. Then 3 sets of 15 and finally 3 sets of 20. Once you've got a handle on 3 sets of 20 increase the weight and start over.

Always work opposite muscle groups. Example: if you work the triceps you must work the biceps. If you work your back work your abs.

Strength training is every other day. Cardio every day. 2 rest days a week.
  • love22step
    love22step Posts: 1,103 Member
    They're there to make as much money as they can. It's more convenient, for me, to work out on my own at home. Over a period of a few months, I purchased Chalean Extreme, a couple of Tae Bo DVDs, a set of SelectTech dumbells, and a bicycle. I work out in my living room, and I have a decent road for running/cycling connected to my driveway. I reached my weight loss goal, 40 lbs., in 7 months, and I've continued to maintain for over 8 months now. You may want to try the gym for a while, then strike out on your own. Getting exercise doesn't have to be expensive and doesn't require a gym membership. Good luck to you!
  • :flowerforyou: THANK YOU!!

I appreciate the feedback. I am going to follow the advice, research some routines that I can start with and work from there. I was just so surprised that they were more interested in selling me a training package then to actually take me around and show me all the different machines and what they do - etc.

When I was at Lucille Roberts, they did not want anyone to use any of the machines (though you could take the classes) until orientation so that they could show you how to use all the different machines properly - then the trainer gave each person a card if anyone was interested in individual training....THAT is what I expected.

Thank you ALL again!!
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    It's probably cheaper to get your own personal trainer certification. ;)

But seriously, self education for the win!
  • you dont need a trainer, i was new to fitness a year ago and only workout out at home, just research and ask questions and ull learn along the way
  • amann1976
    amann1976 Posts: 742 Member
    i use the ymca and they have a program where one of the trainers will show you how to use the equipment towards your goal for free, and they also have personal training packages the starter pack will cost you 75 bucks for 3 half hour sessions.
  • I really like the book "Sculpting her body perfect" by Brad Schoenfeld. He breaks down your exercise in easy steps, shows good pictures for proper form. Samples of routines, how to do them with or without the gym and is very no nonsense information. I have the first addition and love it. I am a little old fashion and like having the book to refer back to instead of the computer, but it has always been worth the money I spent on it for sure. Besides, 15.00 bucks is a LOT cheaper than a personal trainer! LOL
  • Miche11e5
    Miche11e5 Posts: 114 Member
    Bodybuilding.com has free 12 week workout plans you can follow at your gym!
  • RainbootsToBikinis
    RainbootsToBikinis Posts: 465 Member
    Bodybuilding.com has free 12 week workout plans you can follow at your gym!

bodybuilding.com is great! Jamie Eason's programs are really well laid out and there are video guides showing you how to do each of the exercises.