Starting the 30 Day Shred tomorrow, had some questions.

Options
So I'm starting the Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred tomorrow. I was wondering if anyone had any pointers or suggestions. I was also wondering how everyone thats done it has gone about it. Did you do each level for the 10 days straight or did you do it like every other day? I'm trying to set up a routine and would like some guidance.

Replies

• ravinraven718
    Options
    I started mine today (finished about 15 minutes ago). I'll have to wait until I see how I feel in the morning, but if I'm too sore I'll do some free weights and walking instead. However, most people seem to do it every day and some do go longer than 10 days. I intend to do Level 1 until I feel ready to move on - maybe 15 days or so. You should push yourself (and the 30 Day Shred workout does), but I also don't believe in injuring oneself in the pursuit of fitness.
  • violet_papillon
    violet_papillon Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    The best pointer I can give is to watch the video at least once before you do the actual workout. I spent a lot of Level 1 Day 1 staring at the screen so that I could see what they were doing while I was supposed to be doing the exercises. I learned my lesson for Level 2 and Level 3. :) Good luck!
  • MKCD123
    MKCD123 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I just did my first day...good luck...anyone know how to accurately log it?
  • hkuhary
    Options
    I've done the Shred a few times and have found I've received the most success from this program when I do it daily. Do what feels comfortable for you. If you're bored or find Level 1 too easy, then jump to Level 2 - likewise, if you still find Level 1 challenging, stick with it until you feel ready to move up.

Since finishing the Shred, I find it's a great little work out to tack on after going for a run, doing Zumba or pilates dvd. I don't find the calorie burn to be very substatial with the 30 Day Shred (I track with my FitBit), but it is a nice way to get some abs/strength in if you don't otherwise have the time. I, however, do not rely on this program to fulfill cardio.

Good luck!
  • Nice
    Nice Posts: 84
    Options
    I'm on level 2 day 3..it's a great workout :) Just go at your own pace and don't worry about being amazing at it right away..building up to the workouts is perfectly fine and it's nice to see progress. I've been skipping weekends or at least skipping one or two days a week but that's it. I need to pretty much do it everyday or I won't stay on track..good luck to you :)
  • Heather_Rider
    Heather_Rider Posts: 1,159 Member
    Options
    I plan on starting monday, but after talking with a friend who goes to a personal trainer, she said every "body" needs rest and that you should only work hard for 5-6 days a week.. even God rested one day! :laugh: So she suggested doing it 5 days a week.

So, i plan on doing it Monday through Friday.

I also plan on Watching it on Sunday before i start, making sure i have everything i need and also to get together my weights, my water bottle, my clothing, my bra(s) lol.. ive heard the best thing to do is wear a good bra and a sports bra over it, if you are large breasted.

Also, if you dont have a HRM, you cant accurately log it, but i have heard people log it as circut training.

I wish you (and me!) the best of luck!
  • jessica182517
    jessica182517 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    STRETCH your legs!! the first like 3 days i started my legs were killing me it was so bad i could barley walk DOWN staris LOL so just stretch your legs before you workout she dosent do really any stretching for legs...once you get past day 4 you should be good :)
  • Derpina7
    Derpina7 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Completed the 30 day shred! I lost about 2lbs during the course of it plus 2 inches off my waist and 1 off my hips!! I'm planning to pick up her other workout videos, I had to say I was a little skeptical at first, but the results thus far have made it worth it.
    I tried to do it every day consecutively, but missed a couple of times so completed it in about 35 days. Watch the videos for the levels at least once beforehand so you have an idea for the reps and moves. Definitely wear runners, and give yourself space to move (also, if by chance you have an apt or bedroom below you be mindful of the noise, LOL, lets just say I'm not as swift on my feet as I hoped, whoops >.>). And don't give up :happy:!!! The bonus of a workout video is you can swear at them, I did that a lot in level 3 :wink:.
  • samantha1242
    samantha1242 Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    So I'm starting the Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred tomorrow. I was wondering if anyone had any pointers or suggestions. I was also wondering how everyone thats done it has gone about it. Did you do each level for the 10 days straight or did you do it like every other day? I'm trying to set up a routine and would like some guidance.

I have done it a couple times. This past time was the only time I have actually been consistent in doing it everyday for the 30 days. I did each level for 10 days straight. Doing it consistently for 30 days gave me better results then doing it here and there. I also walked and did yoga some days with the workout as well.

Pointers and suggestions? Make sure you have some weights handy and a yoga mat or something to put down on the floor (if you have hardwood floors). Also, after you do the first day I would highly recommend just listening to music and putting Jillian on a low volume/mute. Her voice and banter gets really annoying and her music sucks.

Have fun :)
  • gingerjen7
    gingerjen7 Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    I tried to do it 6 days a week with rest days on Sundays, moving up a level after "10" days (L1: 9/1 - 9/9, L2: 9/10 - 9/19, L3: 9/20 - 9.20), and then the first week of October I "made up" my rest days so that I did a total of 10 workouts on each level.

Tips:

You will be sore the first couple of days; push through it!

Drink lots of water--the scale didn't budge for me until I really started focusing on drinking the recommended amount of water

Do take rest days, your muscles will build during that time and you'll be glad you did (it's as good for you mentally as it is physically)

Get a measuring tape if you don't have one and measure today--many people don't see a lot of progress on the scale, but do see a lot on the tape and in their clothes.

Take a before picture today; you may not feel like you're making progress and that can make you want to quit, but if you take a picture at the end of each level, you'll be able to see the progress you're making, and that will help you stay motivated!
  • umachanxo
    umachanxo Posts: 926 Member
    Options

Hey! I am on day 5 of my third time around. I also made a group for December 30 Day Shredders if you are interested to join! http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/9873-30-day-shred-december-2012

I did each level for 10 days straight the first two times around. This time around I am combining with another program, so I will be doing each level for 10 days again with 1 rest day a week. I do it usually after work and if I am off that particular day I do it as soon as I get up so it's out of the way. Just find 20 minutes that you have and dedicate that to your Shred.

Be sure to stick to it, too. It can get hard - don't give up. The results are so worth it. :D
  • Graceious1
    Graceious1 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    I have done it and didn't do it every day because I also do 2.5 hours a week of martial arts. It took me about 6 weeks to complete it. So here are 10 tips from me:

1. You don't have to do it every day

2. Measure yourself before you start because you will shrink and it is a really good way to measure progress

3. Depending on your size, you may or may not lose much weight. I was around 165 when I started and only lost around 3lb but lost many inches on my arms, legs and abs.

4. It works well when you combine it with other cardio such as power walking or running

5. The scale will not be your friend on this one

6. Your clothes will be the most honest with you

7. There are modifications on most of the exercises

8. If you don't want to listen to Jillian or the music, put it on mute and listen to your iPod/MP3 player

9. Stick with it because it is very very effective and the amount you burn will depend on how much you push yourself

10. You will get to know the routines so much that you can design your own programme and carry on. I've done that by picking my favourite exercises.

My body composition has really changed and I look more like an athlete now. This has made me want to become a Personal Trainer or Health Coach because I am giving the same sort of encouragement to colleagues and friends. Enjoy it and I would love to know how you are getting on.
  • ma_oeuvre
    Options
    I just did my first day...good luck...anyone know how to accurately log it?

I think a lot of people log it as circuit training :)
  • briannadunn
    briannadunn Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    I have been doing it for 3 months now...Do it 3 days a week until you are used to the routines you will still build muscle and your body needs rest to break down and build and do extra cardio. It is a great BFS program but you can hurt yourself so it is better to go slow and steady.
  • dancerom
    dancerom Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    do more (and a bit longer) stretching in the end. Especially for thighs, glutes and calves!
  • iecreamheadaches
    iecreamheadaches Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    thanks so much guys (:
  • sixpacklady
    sixpacklady Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    My friend and I are starting today as well. I have made a schedule to combine 30 DS with BFBM. See my blog for our schedule.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/sixpacklady

Good luck and keep shrinking !!!