Insanity workout on carpet........

Options
I live in an upstairs apartment, that has another level in my residence. For some reason, that loft area is the only place with carpet and the only place I have to workout without bothering downstairs neighbors.

I do yoga and regular exercises ok, but jumping around/pivoting on carpet is a b!tch on my knees.

In your opinion, would it be practical to get a large piece of plywood and workout on that? It sounds so silly, and if it were my house, there wouldn't be carpet up there to begin with.

maybe you with brilliant minds have other suggestions?

Thanks

Replies

• pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    I do Insanity in my bedroom, which is carpeted. I have no issues because I use a yoga mat for the floor moves.
  • lnd2011
    lnd2011 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I do insanity on a wood floor but it is finished.
  • lynn_marie68d
    Options
    I completed the INSANITY workout on my living room carpet. No problems.
  • Timarling
    Options
    I create too much of a sweat slick for wood. I constantly feel like I'm about to take a tumble. Carpets make the workouts far more manageable. Take a look at your shoes, maybe those are the culprit.
  • Nteeter
    Nteeter Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I do mine on carpet with no issues.
  • kikiwilkinson
    Options
    I have no experience with Insanity but I think the yoga mat would be an easier and better idea?
  • graciousdove
    graciousdove Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I also do insanity on the carpet and use a yoga mat for the floor moves. The other thing that I do, which I don't know if this should be encouraged, is that I sometimes workout without any shoes on and only have my socks on. This way I make less noise when I am bouncing around and it can be more comfortable without shoes. I just watch my form a bit more and not jump as high so I protect my knees. I hope the carpet and yoga mat work for you!
  • kreuzen
    kreuzen Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I was doing insanity in my living room with is hard wood. I have a HUGE area rug over the top of it. Before I got carpet stickers I would slide everything around, the rug, the pets on the rug, the couch. EVERYTHING! I would only assume that doing Insanity on wood on top of the carpet would be the same way...

I have not tried it sense I have placed all the carpet stickers down. Anyone else have this issue doing the workout on an area rug?
  • _CowgirlUp_
    _CowgirlUp_ Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    I had this problem with Zumba when we lived in an apartment with someone below us..I simply went downstairs, made a new friend and said, I work out between 8 & 9 am...you're going to hear some bumping around....does this bother you? Most people will say NO if they know ahead of time. If they still have a problem, ask them what time of day would work for them. You live in an apartment, you have to work together to live your lives the way you need to. If they don't want to cooperate, I say, be as bad a neighbor to them as they are to you and do your workout whenever the hell you please. They know it's only going to last an hour...they'll get over it. Point made.

Edited to say: Do your workout on whatever surface works best for you. For me, it was carpet, barefoot. But i needed to pivot on my feet...not possible in tennies and carpet. Do what you have to do but try to engage your downstairs neighbor first. If they refuse...have at it.
  • StarIsMoving
    Options
    I do Insanity in my loft/gym room which has carpeting. I haven't had an issue, but use a separate matting too (yoga mat). I have yet to change over that carpet to anything else, and thinking I might leave it as it has been fine for all of my exercises so far. Maybe a mat would do the trick for you too?
  • srhershey
    srhershey Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I don't think I'd use ply wood only because of splinters you could get doing the push ups, planks and all the other moves where you touch the floor. Do you know the type of "mat" or "flooring" people get for their office chair if their desk in on carpet to help their chair move? I'm sure Office Max or Staples might have something like that and I think that would work pretty good.
  • redhousecat
    redhousecat Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    ok, yoga mat (and i like the socks idea) sounds so much more practical. I knew I wasn't thinking right.
    thanks MFPer's
  • redhousecat
    Options
    I had this problem with Zumba when we lived in an apartment with someone below us..I simply went downstairs, made a new friend and said, I work out between 8 & 9 am...you're going to hear some bumping around....does this bother you? Most people will say NO if they know ahead of time. If they still have a problem, ask them what time of day would work for them. You live in an apartment, you have to work together to live your lives the way you need to. If they don't want to cooperate, I say, be as bad a neighbor to them as they are to you and do your workout whenever the hell you please. They know it's only going to last an hour...they'll get over it. Point made.

never thought of that either! great idea
  • redhousecat
    Options
    I don't think I'd use ply wood only because of splinters you could get doing the push ups, planks and all the other moves where you touch the floor. Do you know the type of "mat" or "flooring" people get for their office chair if their desk in on carpet to help their chair move? I'm sure Office Max or Staples might have something like that and I think that would work pretty good.

I thought of that with the plywood. Then I overthought it and thought maybe get some stick on tiles to put on it!! :laugh:
    I'm a dork.
  • Anastasia0511
    Anastasia0511 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I was doing insanity in my living room with is hard wood. I have a HUGE area rug over the top of it. Before I got carpet stickers I would slide everything around, the rug, the pets on the rug, the couch. EVERYTHING! I would only assume that doing Insanity on wood on top of the carpet would be the same way...

I have not tried it sense I have placed all the carpet stickers down. Anyone else have this issue doing the workout on an area rug?

I scratched brand new hardwood floors with a damn sliding area rug and the thing is almost 15 feet long and it STILL moved. I did put the huge carpet pad under it finally and you cant even budge the thing now. I do certain parts of the Insanity workouts on the hardwood floor like the mountain climbers you do standing up, the Heisman, basketball moves where you do the lunge with one leg and your hand wrapped underneath or in between your legs and then jump to the next leg back and forth, forgot the name of that move and then Suicide drills have to be done on a hardwood floor for me. I have almost broken my *kitten* and my face from sweat puddles though and if I don't use my push up stands when I am sweating and/or have leather finger-less gloves on I will and have slipped from sweat and fallen on my face and my elbows from my hands being so wet. Thats about the time I am cussing up a storm lol. I do not workout on carpet at all even with skid proof shoes on. It doesn't work for me AT all. But area rugs are fine as they are super thin and not all carpety lol. I hate trying to workout on bushy thick carpet, it messes up my knees. Area rugs work way better I think.
  • Marll
    Marll Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    I've done Insanity on carpet and seemed to be just fine. I personally wouldn't work out in shoes though. I've done P90X and Insanity both and always do them bare foot.
  • redhousecat
    Options
    yeah, I'm going shoeless tomorrow
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I workout on carpet, barefoot. Started using a yoga mat after getting wicked rug burns on my arms while attempting plank jacks.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    I didn't have any problems doing Insanity on carpeting. The only things I can't do on the carpet without getting really ouchy are dancing/zumba/brazilian butt lift type stuff where there is twisting and turning.
  • Jhoerman
    Jhoerman Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Did 1 round in running shoes on carpet, no real problems. switched to Vibram FiveFinger shoes on the carpet for this round and am loving it. wife did the same thing. feels like being barefoot but still have traction