I want abs but i also want to build muscle is this possible?

Options
Is it possible for me to get some shredded abs and gain muscle? Or do i have to either choose the abs or the muscle gain?

Replies

• Jbrandt24
    Jbrandt24 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Abs are made in the kitchen my dear. You will have to tone your abdominal muscles so they will be visible once you have lost all the fat. 30% gym, 70% kitchen.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    You have to choose in the moment but can have both eventually.
  • scarlettesong
    scarlettesong Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Abs and muscle gain go very well together. You need the core strength from ab and back exercises in addition to other strength training. You'll maintain proper form and posture. I will lift upper body one day, lower body the next but do some abs most days.

Then, as you're gaining the muscle and abs, the other poster is right. You'll gave strong abs, but if you don't eat VERY healthy and peel away that layer of fat, you won't see them anyway.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    First you need to get body fat low enough to see the abs. Lower you get your body fat the longer you can eat in a calorie surplus for gaining muscle and still maintain a lean physique. Keeping the surplus under control will allow you to keep the abs for quite a long time. Once you get uncomfortable with amount of body fat you gain while bulking then you can start your cut again and get your body fat low again.

You should do strength training while cutting and building.
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    Abs are made in the kitchen my dear. You will have to tone your abdominal muscles so they will be visible once you have lost all the fat. 30% gym, 70% kitchen.

Sorry, but your post is mostly full of misinformation.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    First you need to get body fat low enough to see the abs. Lower you get your body fat the longer you can eat in a calorie surplus for gaining muscle and still maintain a lean physique. Keeping the surplus under control will allow you to keep the abs for quite a long time. Once you get uncomfortable with amount of body fat you gain while bulking then you can start your cut again and get your body fat low again.

You should do strength training while cutting and building.

Perfect answer.
  • Jbrandt24
    Options

Well it works for me. I went from 250 lbs to 150 lbs. You need to tone your abdominal muscles but if you don't have a clean, healthy diet you can bulk your abs up all you want but you won't be able to see it until you get rid of the fat. You can train all you want but if you go and eat garbage equal to 4000 calories a 2 hour workout is gonna put you basically even with your net intake. But, everyone is entitled to their own opinion.
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options

I most appreciate that you took the time to clarify precisely what she got wrong, like, for instance, whether one does or does not need to get rid of fat before any abdominal muscles will show, and that diet is the predominant factor in such an endeavor, and separately, that such muscles benefit from exercise in order to more fully develop. Good rebuttal brah!
  • Jbrandt24
    Options

I most appreciate that you took the time to clarify precisely what she got wrong, like, for instance, whether one does or does not need to get rid of fat before any abdominal muscles will show, and that diet is the predominant factor in such an endeavor, and separately, that such muscles benefit from exercise in order to more fully develop. Good rebuttal brah!

Umm.... I'm a girl.
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    Umm.... I'm a girl.
    True, which is why I used the feminine pronoun "she" when referring to you in my response to the gentleman earlier in the thread. (I was agreeing with you.)