Nightmare workout with personal trainer....

Options
Had a really bad episode at the gym last night, had to stop them twice from calling the ambulance on me to haul me out. Ok, so been working out 5 days per week at gym, since Oct. 1st, one of those nites with personal trainer. Lots of pumping iron, ropes, he man kind of stuff. I love it, I feel weakened when done but so strong and powerful! Like I could pull an airplane down the street with my teeth. Ok, so trainer got another job at the gym so new trainer guy last night. What the hell. Military boot camp is the best way I can describe it. I pulled a muscle on the upper back of my thigh doing some weighted step squats. I could not do what he was trying to get me to do and I am very strong! I pushed myself hard as usual. So...after the hour of hell was over, went to locker room...the next 45 min. was pure hell. Shaking all over, crying and crying, (how embarrasing!) dizzy, nauseous. Got help, got water, cool rag on head. Felt better. Put on swimsuit for hottub, felt worse. Ladies called me help again, more shaking all over and crying like a psycho. More water and ice on neck. 20 min. later, sitting still...got worse! What is wrong??? I had a low blood sugar attack like 21 years ago...so I thought...could it be low blood sugar? Run and get some sugar! Got some O.J....much better! OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Pain all over my body, pain in thigh so bad could not walk. Hypervintalating the whole time...need air, calmed down, need air. I ate good yesterday. I did not feel strong after that workout. My abs did not feel strong, just overworked. I normally feel strong after a hard one hour workout with trainer, but not this one. Just weak and fatigued. Pain in my neck, shoulder, back, butt, thigh and my bad knee was killing me! If that trainer would have come into the locker room to check on me I would have physically attacked him like a wild animal! I was in so much pain, called the gym hysterically crying when I got home (after detour at Arby's for a non-calorie counting meal--) to talk to new trainer but he was busy. Got old trainer on the phone. He was not happy about the situation that happened. Cried for 4 hours last night due to trauma. Soooo sore over whole body today. I think me and the gym are going to have a little chat soon! Could not even drive to water aerobics tonite. Getting a lilttle better now......no way I will ever do a workout like that again.

Replies

• Mighty_Rabite
    Mighty_Rabite Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you were indeed overworked. I'm no personal trainer (yet) but I think a personal trainer with a new client should focus more on assessing the client before putting them through the meat grinder.

Generally, I feel like a person should be decently exhausted from a workout, but to the point of nausea is no fun, and dizziness is never really a good sign - it sounds like this new trainer may be used to a younger/more athletic type of population perhaps - which is fine, but no matter the client, the workout should be adapted to the client's fitness levels and goals.

Definitely a good idea to chat with the gym, and if possible, the trainer himself.
  • megleo818
    megleo818 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Holy crap! That's just insane -- I'm so glad you're okay. That trainer needs some training. Seriously.
  • Zoeegirl
    Zoeegirl Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you were indeed overworked. I'm no personal trainer (yet) but I think a personal trainer with a new client should focus more on assessing the client before putting them through the meat grinder.

Generally, I feel like a person should be decently exhausted from a workout, but to the point of nausea is no fun, and dizziness is never really a good sign - it sounds like this new trainer may be used to a younger/more athletic type of population perhaps - which is fine, but no matter the client, the workout should be adapted to the client's fitness levels and goals.

Definitely a good idea to chat with the gym, and if possible, the trainer himself.

this! And also, next time please tell him when you have had enough. There is no shame in stopping when your body needs to.
    Sorry it was a rough one! hope your doing better :flowerforyou:
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you pushed your body too hard and it let you know it with some nasty physical symptoms. Those symptoms (being scary and feeling out of control) seem to have brought on a panic attack, which would then make the physical symptoms even worse. Sounds like a nightmare experience. I personally would not work with that trainer again. :heart:
  • cattorresny
    Options
    You sound like a sweet and very strong individual. I am happy to see you survived the ordeal! It is definitely a good idea for you to get some rest (especially for your bad knee!) And take personal note on the whole blood sugar issue. Besides the embarrassment, i can see there are some things you can definitely take from this experience. I admire your will power and am greatful the OJ has worked its wonders. Lets hope you and that trainer can either talk it out or switch out. Communication is key!
  • Rita_Rocker
    Rita_Rocker Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your comments. I did contact the gym management and they will call me back soon. Gonna just tell them all about it. Strangest thing...I researched Hypoglycemia on the internet...seems the liver and kidneys do whatever they do when you work out too much and the symptoms I had were of a low blood sugar attack! I did not know but they should have known and diagnosed my symptoms. It took over 30 min. for ME to say hey, could it be.... Now I know and will be smarter in the future but they should have not missed something like that. Old trainer and new trainer both knew I have low blood sugar, but nothing really comes of it except for episode over 21 years ago. Thanks.
  • Rita_Rocker
    Options
    You know he did say to me just do it at your own pace while saying really loud: come on! this is how you build muscle! This is how you burn fat to loose weight! Let's go! Let's go! After 20 min. I did not even look him in the eye, he should have gotten the clue. I kept saying I can't do 10 more seconds......come on, yes you can, yes you can. I won't make that mistake again and maybe him and I are not a good match. I did not feel strong at all after the workout. And yesterday and today have taken many pain killers for soreness over whole body. But...since noon much improved finally. Lost a few days of working out but I will get back on track and get this trainer on track too. I learned something and I will make sure he has a learning experience from it too. Thanks.
  • Rita_Rocker
    Options
    Thanks. The research I did on the internet on hypoglycemia said that the liver and kidneys do whatever they do when you work out too hard, causing like a panic attack with symptoms like I had. I had no clue about this. They should have known and properly diagosed me. This is a failure on their part. I put a call into manager to call me back. Might go there tomorrow and tell them all about it. I learned from this and will make sure they do too. Thanks.
  • scarlettesong
    scarlettesong Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I've had good trainers, but I've seriously (re)injured myself before by not saying to the therapist "No. That's too heavy, I can't do that. Please give me another exercise." You know your body limitations better than anyone else and saying no is not a weakness. List to your body and push it, but you will know (like you did in this case with your thigh) when something is wrong. You're not "chickening out" buy acknowledging that. Any trainer who doesn't understand that needs to find another career field. Don't let that bad experience get you down! Lean on the trainer you trust until you can recover and rebuild that relationship.

Also, a personal trainer is NOT a doctor. You can't be sure they would be able to "diagnose" the difference between hypoglycemia and low-blood sugar. Diagnose was your word, but just keep that in mind. You'd think a good trainer would be aware of the risks, but they are not a doctor.
  • Rita_Rocker
    Options
    Yes, exactly what you said. I am actually 50% better since this afternoon. Will be a learning experience for all by the time I am done. Might even work out tomorrow! Thanks.
  • Rita_Rocker
    Options
    Thanks, the trauma is over. And I do tend to be hardheaded and push myself in all that I do. I only have two speeds...fast forward...and stop....LOL.... I did learn something from it and will NEVER do that again to myself. Will give trainer second chance if we can work it out...but maybe not. Will chat with management tomorrow so we can all learn something by this. Thanks!
  • Rita_Rocker
    Options
    Point taken, thanks.
  • 1Whitchick
    Options
    Don't have a personal trainer. But, reading your story and the comments confirmed to me my reaction to a coach at the curves where I go. I haven't worked out in 20 years, my heart rate was slightly high when I started, and the manager there set me up on a routine my first day. My 2nd day, this other coach worked with me and kept pushing me, pushing me. I kept up, but didn't feel well at all during or after, and my heart rate was too high. She is my age, but SUPER fit, and I kind of felt like a loser compared to her. I quit going at the time of day she would be there, and went back to working with the original coach. My heart rate is adjusting and I'm able to push now, without getting in the danger zone. My point being, I could FEEL when things weren't right. Just because she's the same age as I am, doesn't mean I should be able to do what she can do. Don't know if she's on some kind of trip, or what, but don't look forward to working out with her any time soon. I'm not afraid at all to push, but I will go at the pace my body feels able to do safely. Thanks for sharing your story!
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    sorry this happened to you OP, but really the burden of safety is on YOU. you should be the first line of defense if you're being overworked since the trainer doesn't know your body or knows how you feel. the only person who can know that is you, and since you have the most to lose if something goes really wrong, you should be the one to say STOP I NEED A BREATHER.

i'm also pretty bad about pushing myself

with that said, this is probably a good thing now you know what your limits are and next time you want to get your godzilla on, you at least have a benchmark of when enough is enough.

glad to hear you're feeling better though
  • celebrity328
    celebrity328 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    My husband kind of had a similar thing happen to him, he didnt eat before he went to work out and ended up passing out from low blood sugar cold turkey on the floor. FREAKED me out! When the trainer/I were able to wake him back up he started freaking out and yelling at us to get the "F" off him and he was very confused as to why he was laying on the floor :(
  • Mighty_Rabite
    Mighty_Rabite Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    This brings back memories of my first ever P90X workout. It was my fault for having not eaten properly, and I was jumping into it as someone who was pretty out of shape, so it was a body shock and I ended up hypoglycemic halfway through.
    My point being, I could FEEL when things weren't right.

Everyone, take strong note of this. Whether or not you are using a personal trainer or have one present.. YOU know best what your limitations are and if you may be pushing too hard.
  • Rita_Rocker
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your comments. I did eat good that day. I did take breaks when I needed them, but only a little...then just pushed ahead again, worked fine with the other trainer. I just did not know that this different type of working out would lead to such a terrible thing. I left the trainer, fatigued and weak, went into the locker room, and almost calapsed. If I had ever seen it coming I would have eaten a snack, etc. Having only had one other time in my life, like 21 years ago, to have something like this happen I just did not know the symptoms. Now I do. And it can be dangerous if not treated. I always try to take something away from experiences like this, which I certainly did! Next time I say I can't do something...I just won't do it. I do have to sometimes remind myself I am human, not a robot!!! But I push myself to always achieve higher in life, higher in spiritual life, higher in relationships, higher in learning, that is just me and why I manage 21 employees rather well. I learned I have limits and need to listen to me.
  • Rita_Rocker
    Options
    First of all, congrats on the 87 lbs. lost!!! I never have "normal" stories to tell so here is a good one. About 3 yrs. ago, driving home on first Fri. of December. Car in front of me weaving onto grass, then back into lane. I thought drunk driver, so I called 911. They said they would send someone so I offered to hover back like 300 ft. and follow the car down back roads until cops could find them. Drove behind this car, weaving left, making cars run off road, back onto the grass on the right, for miles. Finally 911 had to pass me to the other 911 since I now switched counties. I was narrating the whole time to 911....OMG they are down in the embankment! OMG they are heading straight for a car oncoming at 85 mph....cars are running off the road, driving slow, speeding up like crazy, back and forth, down the embankment again driving sideway in the grass, then they made a u turn! I stayed way back, now had to change 911 calls again since back in my county. Now driving wrong way in 4 lanes again...cars swerving...back into my lane again, over and over for 45 min!!! And no fricken cops to be found...just me...So...finally car got in left lane with turn signal...I stayed back...911 then said we have an ambulance coming...I said what??? They said we can't give you any information....I said huh??? I said I see the lights flashing..the car is turning into local store...and parked finally! I sat across the lot wondering what the hell would happen....cop pulled up, lady cop jumped out and ran light lightening into the store, right past the car that had just pulled in! I was not leaving now, wondering how it would end. Cop ran out of store with jug of Orange Juice and ran over to the car!! It was a female diabetic, who had skipped lunch, and was confused and lost finding her way home. Then ambulance pulled up. I thought I was behind some drunk person or nut! Her son had called 911 when he tried to contact her and she was confused on the phone. My heart was racing!!! The next week I saw an EMT lady in store...I heard her say to her friend she went on a strange call last week at that store...and I said hey, that was me following that person! Is she ok? She said, sorry we can't give you any information. OK, I get it, privacy and all. Honestly all I wanted to do was see if she was ok, tell her that a stranger cared enough for her to follow her to safety. What a nite it was!!!