Need Running Pointers....

Options
Hi all,

I have always dabbled in running - just using it as an occasional cardio workout. Recently I have taken it more seriously and have been building up distance (running now between 3 and 4 miles, 5 or 6 days a week).

I have a few questions for those seasoned runners out there to improve my performance. I'm physically not a "natural runner" - I have big-not-overly-long legs...so my stride tends to be very short. Should I be worried/working on improving the length of my stride? If so - how?

Secondly - I have been working on improving my speed on my 5k pace and haven't really been working on distance. Should I start working on more distance and not worry so much about speed?

Third - I have days when I feel like I can run forever and days when I struggle to get through a couple of miles. I have learned that I need to run earlier in the day and on a light stomach - but even then, sometimes I have days that I struggle. Any great suggestions?

Thanks all - still a work in progress!

Replies

• sammyneb
    sammyneb Posts: 257
    Options
    I like to call myself a runner. I have only been running for a little over a year, but I am training for my second half marathon and have run around 15 races this past year. I am like you when it comes to "short, bigger legs" my stride is not that long, and it never will be. You want to aim for landing with your feet right under you with a midfoot, so you don't want to over reach (which would cause you to land on your heel) As for working for distance or speed. That is really just a preference. Do you want to run a really fast 5k or do you want to run a marathon? or both? Last year I was "faster" than I am now, but I would also out run myself (causing myself to walk) so I have slowed myself down so I can complete my runs without walking. Now I am working more on my pace again.

I have found that I run best in the AM also, but that doesn't fit into my life so I often run at lunch..as for feeling like you can't run much, I get that. Honestly the thing that keeps me motivated is my training schedule for my half...it keeps me in check. So for that I would suggest signing up for race..maybe a 10k (6.2miles) the training will keep you motivated..

just my thoughts :)
  • laughingdani
    laughingdani Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    I'm not an elite runner or anything but here are my tips.

-Make sure you are well hydrated the day before a big run. If you are running 3+ miles everyday, then make sure you are drinking plenty of water everyday.
    -My stride is really short too. I tend to cross my arms in front of me when they swing back and forth. I was told to make sure my arms are swinging straight out (parallel) instead of crossing (making an x). Also, by doing that my arms are swinging farther out and believe it or not, the farther your arms move the more your legs go out. It's a conscious decision on my part, but it works.
    -Breathing. This also helps with stride and pace. I tend to breathe shallow. So make sure you are taking deep breaths when you run.
    -Distance vs speed is all relative to your goals. Both can be improved upon. I'm not a really fast runner, but I can run for long lengths of time. So, I am more focused on becoming a marathoner eventually.
  • cldaugherty
    cldaugherty Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    You will have good running days and not so good running days. After training for two 1/2 marathons, that is just the way it is. I try to alternate training for speed and training for distance. One day I will run longer at a normal speed. Another day I will do speed work. By doing that I was able to increase my distance with my pace. I ran this last 1/2 marathon faster than I did the last one. It is your preference.
  • wolfgate
    wolfgate Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    If you're running 3-4 miles and you want to improve your 5k speed, the best way is pretty simple.

Increase your distance. The endurance you gain will naturally increase your speed. If you're running 5 days a week, do a couple of 3 - 4 milers. Do a couple of 5 milers. Do something around 7-8. Not right from the git-go, but build up to it. Do all of it easy until you can do that type of week easily and with good recovery. You'll find your 5k speed will go up significantly when you get to that point.

Then, if you want to hold at that weekly mileage you can add some speedwork to the mix.

On the good days/bad days you're doing things right. Pay attention to anything that seems to work for or against you. You're an experiment of one and will learn. You may also find in time you tolerate more food wise before running.
  • Linli_Anne
    Linli_Anne Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    -My stride is really short too. I tend to cross my arms in front of me when they swing back and forth. I was told to make sure my arms are swinging straight out (parallel) instead of crossing (making an x). Also, by doing that my arms are swinging farther out and .

This is really interesting...and something I am going to take note of when I run tonight.

I tend to hold my arms really close to me and cross over at the wrist/forearm. I do have long legs, but can't be sure what my stride is like.

Thanks!
  • wolfgate
    wolfgate Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    -My stride is really short too. I tend to cross my arms in front of me when they swing back and forth. I was told to make sure my arms are swinging straight out (parallel) instead of crossing (making an x). Also, by doing that my arms are swinging farther out and .

This is really interesting...and something I am going to take note of when I run tonight.

I tend to hold my arms really close to me and cross over at the wrist/forearm. I do have long legs, but can't be sure what my stride is like.

Thanks!

Some across the body arm swing in natural. What you do not want is excessive. If your hands are crossing the mid-point of your body, then they're moving too far across. Mentally, you could think about moving them back instead of forward. Also not swinging your shoulders - but just your arms. Both help with excessive lateral movement.
  • faceoff4
    faceoff4 Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    You will have good running days and not so good running days. After training for two 1/2 marathons, that is just the way it is. I try to alternate training for speed and training for distance. One day I will run longer at a normal speed. Another day I will do speed work. By doing that I was able to increase my distance with my pace. I ran this last 1/2 marathon faster than I did the last one. It is your preference.

This is pretty dead on with what I would say. Some days my body and lungs can go forever and others I dont feel great and have to struggle through runs. In the end I just try to make the best of it and enjoy some good tunes and know my body is just going to be different on some days than others. I would alternate the distance and speed aspects as most others have suggested as it does make a difference and its good to keep your body and workouts changing.

I think running is one of those things that does not come natural to a lot of people, but as you do it more and it becomes more routine it will start to feel more and more natural to you. Good luck and it looks like you are doing a wonderful job with your fitness and healthy living!
  • meghannrenee
    meghannrenee Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Your stride should be on the shorter side - newer runners tend to overstride and land with their foot out in front of them which creates a jerky stride and can lead to painful problems like shin splints.

I'm not an expert, but I've been running steadily for about 4 years now and completed my first marathon earlier this fall. You will always have good and bad days. I found the more I increased the distance I could do, the more I needed to vary my runs. So rather than running the same distance every day have shorter days and longer days - and the more you run the better you'll get at it and the faster you'll get.

As far as the food goes - most of my runs are done first thing in the morning on an empty stomach. If I've eaten within 4 hours it just doesn't feel right. Anything over 10-12 miles I'll eat a piece of toast or something with peanut butter an hour beforehand, but that's it.

Hope that helps!
  • redsoxy
    redsoxy Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!
    These were some great suggestions and Ill be implementing them starting tomorrow. Its also nice to hear that my experiences are similar to others and that there is hope :)

Thanks again!
  • numsquat
    numsquat Posts: 133
    Options
    " I have big-not-overly-long legs...so my stride tends to be very short. Should I be worried/working on improving the length of my stride? If so - how? "

Over-striding will likely lead to injury (heel striking). Focus on land mid-foot to balls of feet, increase speed my increasing cadence (steps per minute). Try to get to 160 steps/minute (if not already there) and slowly increase to the 180 range.

"I have been working on improving my speed on my 5k pace and haven't really been working on distance. Should I start working on more distance and not worry so much about speed?"

Working on distance will help your speed, speed work has it's limits and will not help distance. Do a mix in your running and have speed work no more than 1/2 your runs each week. Run slower and longer on the other days with one long run each week. You can find many free plans online, I personally use Hal Higdon plans myself http://www.halhigdon.com/

"I have days when I feel like I can run forever and days when I struggle to get through a couple of miles. I have learned that I need to run earlier in the day and on a light stomach - but even then, sometimes I have days that I struggle. Any great suggestions?"

There can be many reasons for this but just based on your information I would say with working on speed and the number of days running per week (even at lower mileage) you may be over training a bit. Realistically I would suggest running no more than 5 days a week (not sure what other exercising you're doing). You look to be in pretty good shape but running taxes various parts of the body differently. Muscles adapt quickly but things such as ligaments, tendons and bones take longer (and more miles) to adapt. The body needs rest, both from the impact of running and rest in general, to improve.

If you want simple and motivating running information read Running for Mortals by John Bingman. Great information and tips in laymen terms.
  • dare2love81
    dare2love81 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    I've found that as I add distance, my speed for 5ks actually improves without me having to try.