Women and lifting heavy

Options

Replies

• superkel317
    Options
    Oh! I should specify that the link I posted above is for One Rep Max....

So here's the strenght standards: http://www.exrx.net/Testing/WeightLifting/StrengthStandards.html

And here's the ORM calculator: http://www.exrx.net/Calculators/OneRepMax.html

Dominate & Destroy!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks so much! :) Very helpful!
  • kmakar
    kmakar Posts: 103
    Options
    bump
  • alvalaurie
    alvalaurie Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Great info here - thanks OP for asking & thanks to those responding!

I have a related question - I broke my wrist back in February so when I lift certain ways, it still hurts (ie: push press where you're supposed to let the bar hang on your fingertips; I can't bend my wrist back like that so I end up holding the bar more in my palms instead, & therefore am not able to lift as heavy as I'm capable of). Actually pretty much any exercise that requires my hand in the flex position (push ups, burpees, wall ball toss etc) I end up compensating by using my right hand/wrist more; which I know is not good.

Any advice on how to strengthen my wrist or make it more flexible?
  • alliet12
    alliet12 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    bump :huh:
  • CakeyBakey
    CakeyBakey Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Bumpin to read later! This is very useful, thx!
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    I've been hearing a lot about the benefits of women lifting heavy, but never about the actual amount of weight to use. Is there a certain baseline weight that is best to start with?

I'm in the same position you are in...but I can tell you what I am doing right now, after a month of lifting.

leg press--228#

squat--75#

pec fly--10# ( I feel so weak!!!)

chest press--20#

hip adduction/abduction--140#

If nothing else, my goal is to do at LEAST one 100# squat before Christmas
  • baxgilter
    baxgilter Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I've been hearing a lot about the benefits of women lifting heavy, but never about the actual amount of weight to use. Is there a certain baseline weight that is best to start with?

I'm in the same position you are in...but I can tell you what I am doing right now, after a month of lifting.

leg press--228#

squat--75#

pec fly--10# ( I feel so weak!!!)

chest press--20#

hip adduction/abduction--140#

If nothing else, my goal is to do at LEAST one 100# squat before Christmas

Leg press is just silly and does not build very functional muscle. When are you ever going to be sitting in an awkward position like that pushing that much weight? In my opinion doing lifts that helps with functional muscle and mimic movements you do everyday are more helpful. Just seems like a waste of time is all.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    Leg press is just silly and does not build very functional muscle. When are you ever going to be sitting in an awkward position like that pushing that much weight?

That's how I used to move furniture. Brace myself against a wall and push with my legs. :laugh:

But I do agree. Squatting does everything the leg press does, only better.
  • suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    I like what everyone here has said. Just wanted to add that New Rules of Lifting for Women is a good book if you want to get started and need a program.

I'm in Stage 2 right now. At the end of Stage 1 I could deadlift 110 pounds. I could squat 80. Each stage is different! I love it so far.

Alvalurie, the front squat push press is in this Stage. I have never been able to float the bar on my fingertips and haven't heard of any one who does. I just clean to my shoulders with the bar in my palms, squat and press. That overhead press is my weakest lift but it's getting much better with this exercise.
  • wolfpack77
    Options
    If you can lift a weight more than 10x you need to up the weight.

If you can do more than 8 bodyweight chinups, you need to add weight. There are women in my gym who do sets of 6 bodyweight chinups +25lb plate hanging from the their waist. I usually do sets of 6 of bodyweight +55lb.

If you intend to "life heavy" so you can add strength, you need to challenge yourself every time. That means working in the low rep range with weights that are near your 1 rep max. This is in the 4-6 rep range with failure occurring on the 6th rep. If you can do more than that you need to add weight.
  • alyssa92982
    alyssa92982 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Id have to say if using free weights I always heard if u want more lean look pick a dumbell that u can do 12-15 reps on with proper form, and if u want size and bulk pick a heavy weight and do 8-10 rps. The last couple of reps should also be a struggle
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    Id have to say if using free weights I always heard if u want more lean look pick a dumbell that u can do 12-15 reps on with proper form, and if u want size and bulk pick a heavy weight and do 8-10 rps. The last couple of reps should also be a struggle

fortunately this is a myth.

i know plenty of girls that lift even less then 8-10 reps, and aren't bulky or anything.
  • scarlettesong
    scarlettesong Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    All of this is really good info, but I just started reading my roommate's women's fitness bible (I call it that, but I'll have to get back to you on the title.) And it very clearly explained that you actually need to vary your reps so your muscles don't get complacent. The heavier weights/lower reps (5-8 reps for 4-5 sets) will build the "fast-twiching" muscle fibers, and the light weight/many reps (is for control, stability and "slow-twich" fibers with the 10-12 that people are quoting as a nice middle ground.

While heavier weights/lower reps will build bulk more, the other tone more, and all are good for strength training, even women, and you WON'T look too bulky. This book explained the lower reps was 5-8 per set, medium was 8-12, and high reps was 13-18, then you did as many sets as could add up the total number to 30-50. So lower reps would have more sets. It said to switch weight and reps about every 2 weeks.

I'll see if I can find that books title and get back to you guys tomorrow.
  • jetscreaminagain
    jetscreaminagain Posts: 1,130 Member
    Options
    All of this is really good info, but I just started reading my roommate's women's fitness bible (I call it that, but I'll have to get back to you on the title.) And it very clearly explained that you actually need to vary your reps so your muscles don't get complacent. The heavier weights/lower reps (5-8 reps for 4-5 sets) will build the "fast-twiching" muscle fibers, and the light weight/many reps (is for control, stability and "slow-twich" fibers with the 10-12 that people are quoting as a nice middle ground.

While heavier weights/lower reps will build bulk more, the other tone more, and all are good for strength training, even women, and you WON'T look too bulky. This book explained the lower reps was 5-8 per set, medium was 8-12, and high reps was 13-18, then you did as many sets as could add up the total number to 30-50. So lower reps would have more sets. It said to switch weight and reps about every 2 weeks.

No. They say this in fitness magazines to sell the magazines. But they are not telling the truth.
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    My trainer and also the old football coach/PE teacher I had started me with 10-12 reps of the heaviest weights I could lift at that many reps for 3 sets. Seems to work fine for a beginner and then I got more technical as time went on and I learned more. Do you go to a gym and do they offer personal training? It would not be a bad idea to take a session or two to make sure your machines are set up correctly and get an idea of where to start on each exercise. They can also help you build a couple of beginning routines. My first one was free at my gym but then I bought more.
  • vweinman
    vweinman Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Lift something that weighs more than your purse!
  • scarlettesong
    scarlettesong Posts: 108 Member
    Options

No. They say this in fitness magazines to sell the magazines. But they are not telling the truth.

And your credentials are...? If I'm wrong, please explain what is wrong instead of just blasting my info with nothing to back yourself up.
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    Summary of ACSM on progression:

- Concentric, eccentric, isometric movements
    - Bilateral and unilateral single and multiple joints
    - Large before small, multiple before single muscle, higher intensity before lower intensity

Novice (<6 months consistent training; returners):

8-12 RM. 2-3 days/week

Intermediate (>6 months consistent training):

1-12 RM, periodized, with emphasis on heaviy loading (1-6RM) with 3-5 min rest between sets performed at a moderate contraction velocity (1-2 s CON; 1-2 s ECC). 3-4 days/week.

Advanced:

4-5 days week.
    - Load increase: 2-10% for 1-2 repetitions over the desired number.
    Hypertrophy: higher volume, multiple sets.
    Power training: two general loading strategies: 1) strength training and 2) use of light loads (0-60% of 1 RM for lower body exercises; 30-60% of 1 RM for upper body exercises) performed at a fast contraction velocity with 3-5 min of rest between sets for multiple sets per exercise (three to five sets), using whole-body, multiple-joint exercises.
    Local muscular endurance: light to moderate loads (40-60% of 1 RM) be performed for high repetitions (>15) using short rest periods (<90 s).

Recommendations should be applied in context and should be contingent upon an individual's target goals, physical capacity, and training status.

http://journals.lww.com/acsm-msse/pages/articleviewer.aspx?year=2009&issue=03000&article=00026&type=fulltext
  • theresmynapkin
    theresmynapkin Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    as many people have already said, it really is subjective. I follow the book New Rules of Lifting for Women, which is like 13 dollars or so on Amazon. I've really enjoyed the information and the workouts :) it helps clear up misconceptions about weight lifting and gives guidelines as to how to know where to start.
  • ktrn0312
    ktrn0312 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    Bump.