Protein shakes make you gain weight?!

Options
Even though I'm counting them into my caloric intake 3 people have told me they make you gain weight? Is that true???

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Even though I'm counting them into my caloric intake 3 people have told me they make you gain weight? Is that true???

Excess calories, above what you burn, cause weight gain. Regardless of source.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Those people are dumb. Protein is protein, whether it's from a shake or from a slab of meat. Only excess calories can make you gain fat.
  • dare2love81
    dare2love81 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    No. I have one, sometimes two every day and am still losing.
  • NoahandPresleysMom
    NoahandPresleysMom Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    That's what I thought. People don't know what they are talking about!
  • Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    If they fit into your calorie goals they won't make you gain weight.
  • Cranktastic
    Cranktastic Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    No
  • SilverLotusGirl
    SilverLotusGirl Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    I think most people run into trouble because they drink protein shakes and expect them to be some magical weight loss thing and they don't limit other sources of calories. Also, protein shakes are like smoothies, you can make them pretty low cal to very very high in calories based on what you put in. If it fits in your limits then it's fine.
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    You will gain weight from all the muscle you instantly generate from consuming protein ????
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    No

^^This^^
  • windyleal
    Options
    I'm doing a lower carb plan so I drink the Atkins Advantage shakes that are low carb most mornings for breakfast. I'm not big on eating early in the morning so it is easier to drink a quick shake. I've lost 35 lbs. so far :)
  • Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options

Those 3 people are horribly and terribly wrong. It's a food, just like any other source. Drinking them doesn't magically cause you to gain weight above the caloric value of the shake.
  • HopefulLeigh
    HopefulLeigh Posts: 363 Member
    Options

A membership to MFP comes with an automatic degree in nutrition and nonsense.

This is probably based on the misconception that the only people who drink protein shakes are meatheads who are here to buff ... you up. Everyone else has covered that it's silly. My question is, did you ask them for their opinion or did they peruse your diary and decide to mess with your head on their own?
  • metacognition
    metacognition Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Nothing will make you gain weight if it fits into your maintenance or weight loss calorie guidelines.
  • bederz
    Options
    IIFYM IF IT FITS YOUR MACROS!
    No offence but those people are morons.
    It will essentially make you lose weight as long as its the right type of protein (and not a weight/ mass gainer with lots of extra carbs). it will help you decrease the energy you receive from fat and carbs by replacing it with protein as long as your fitting it into your goal calories for the day.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    There's nothing mystical or magical about protein shakes. It's no different than eating a piece of chicken....if you eat them to the point of caloric surplus, you gain weight; if you don't, you won't. Judging by some of the threads here (not just this one by any means), there are people who apparently think protein powders/shakes have some voodoo that transcends what they really are - just another food source. Great way to supplement your protein intake if you're not getting enough from whole foods, but that's all there is to them.
  • raylenebrooks
    raylenebrooks Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Mine are only 110 cal 17 grams protein but I have lost 40 lbs having 1 or 2 a day ...................................
  • invisibubble
    invisibubble Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    Sadly loads of false information is widely spread, and thus believed. It's thanks to people like those three that people go on weird diets.
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    Options

A membership to MFP comes with an automatic degree in nutrition and nonsense.

This is probably based on the misconception that the only people who drink protein shakes are meatheads who are here to buff ... you up. Everyone else has covered that it's silly. My question is, did you ask them for their opinion or did they peruse your diary and decide to mess with your head on their own?

She never said that the people who commented were from MFP....

OP....as many have said, as long as you are within your caloric intake, you will lose.
  • agent99oz
    agent99oz Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    If I have too many they make me bloated and I hold weight, so maybe something to consider - I have one a day after training :)
  • wswilliams67
    wswilliams67 Posts: 938 Member
    Options

Ummm.. no.

Caloric surplus = weight gain.

Even if you were a serious body-builder, it takes time to build muscle mass. I eat 200-250g of protein daily and I'm still losing. I have a shake after a lifting split or if I'm on the go and need a meal replacement.

FYI: Slim Fast is NOT a protein shake.