Way below calorie Req, but not hungry, what gives?

Options
I just don't understand it. Apparently I am eating way below my calorie requirements. I just don't feel hungry. I eat 2-3 times a day.

I read about the starvation mode thing and all but wouldnt my body indicate it is hungry and in need of food if that were the case? When I do get a little hunger thing I just eat an orange or something and I'm good until the next meal.

Anyone else experiencing this? Am I doing it all wrong? I just can't stand the idea of eating when i'm not hungry.

Replies

• athenasurrenders
    athenasurrenders Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    If it was just once in a while it wouldn't matter, but looking at your diary you are way under a lot of the time.

If it suits you to only eat twice a day, that's absolutely fine. You could easily add extra calories to those meals. An ounce of cheese is over 100 cals and won't add too much bulk to your meals. Or a tablespoon of olive oil.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Your 'hunger' signal hormones ghrelin and leptin are probably out of whack. After a while of eating at a deficit they can go awry. The bigger and longer the deficit, the more out of whack they can get.
  • tyresank
    tyresank Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I had the same issue at one time, but not now. I think you need to up your calories, you are eating less that I am in most cases, and Men need more calories typically. For a while I just ate because I knew I needed to fuel my body for my 60 min workouts, but now I do get hungry and things are no longer outta whack! I am down 90 lbs in 60 weeks by eating 5 times a day, but if you prefer to eat only 2-3 that should work too! Good luck.
  • chanellenoble
    chanellenoble Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    From looking at your food diary I can see that you skip breakfast some days. This can stop your body from feeling hungry through out the day as it hasn't had that initial kick to get started. Also try eating more frequently through out the day. This will boost your metabolism, meaning you will burn through the food you've eaten faster (as well as fat) and feel hungry when it is time for your next meal.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    Does seem too low looking at your diary. I'd add in 2 x 1 oz of nuts per day ad snacks. Extra 250-300 cals without being too filling!
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    I just don't understand it. Apparently I am eating way below my calorie requirements. I just don't feel hungry. I eat 2-3 times a day.

I read about the starvation mode thing and all but wouldnt my body indicate it is hungry and in need of food if that were the case? When I do get a little hunger thing I just eat an orange or something and I'm good until the next meal.
    No, unfortunately it doesn't happen like that. It's very common for people who are under-eating to stop feeling hungry. The good news, if you can raise your calories again, your appetite should return.

You don't have to force large quantities of food into yourself to get there. While you're still not hungry, focus on more calorie-dense foods like nuts, seeds, nut butters, cheese, avocados, dark chocolate, eggs, full-fat dairy products etc. Add healthy oils to your salads, or in cooking. Drink protein shakes, smoothies, milk etc. Anything high in fat will get you there, but also slightly increase your portions of meat and carbs.

It doesn't really matter how many times a day you eat, but perhaps eating a bit more often would help you to get more food in without feeling too full.
  • tommygirl15
    tommygirl15 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    Are you going through any stress these days? This can suppress your appetite (though, in some cases it makes people want to eat more).
  • wswilliams67
    wswilliams67 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    WOW brother, your sodium is WAY out of control! Most doctors/trainers recommend staying at 1500mg/day or less. That raman you ate was over 2000/mg alone! All that sodium = water retention.

But in regards to your OP... your metabolism is shutting down or has shut down already. Remember to think of your body as an engine... no fuel = stops working. You need to keep it stoked with 5-6 small meals throughout the day. I noticed you seem to have the same eating pattern I did. My doctor called it the "corporate binge". No breakfast, fast small lunch, then gorge on dinner right before going to bed. Bad mojo man... bad mojo. When your metabolism shuts down... you will not feel hungry. It's how our bodies cope with what it thinks is 'starvation mode'.

TIPS:

• EAT MORE FREQUENTLY! You should have 5-6 small "grazing" meals throughout the day. More if you exercise heavily.
    • Eat within 1 hour of waking up. No excuses. This starts the engine for the day.
    • Try eating clean for two weeks. You'd be surprised how much better you'll feel.
    • Avoid processed lunch meats and restaurant foods. The sodium is insane.
    • Drink more water. For your weight you should be drinking 14 glasses/day. ((weight / 2) / 8) = cups of water per day (8 cups minimum)
    • Eat back your exercise calories.

Once your metabolism wakes up again you will start having hunger pangs again, but if you eat regularly, you should only have then when you wake up in the morning.

Hope this helps.
  • ynotcycle
    ynotcycle Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    @sarauk2sf That totally makes sense as a week or two ago I was feeling hunger, Then I started this routine i am on now.

@jester, I love that avatar about creating yourself.Isn't that the truth. I will shop today and get the foods you suggested.

@tommygirl15 Not much more than usual but I have been feeling kinda lonely lately, I guess that could be considered stress, who am i kidding.. it is stressful. Fortunately stress doesnt make me want to eat.

@wswilliams67 I took your advice and started the day with a banana and a turkey sammich with garden salad on it. Is that enough calories to get the engine running for the day? I will stick to this eating breakfast and small frequent meals as has been suggested and see if I can ramp up my metabolism. I hear ya on the sodium! I didn't buy any ramen this last shopping trip, probably wont buy it anymore as i've noticed a monstrous difference in how i feel if i eat healthy and how i feel after eating ramen. I think I am done with quick junk like that.

So, assuming my metabolism is slow, or shut down, how long does it take to get it back on track? days,weeks?

And one other thing, I like fresh cooked stuff like turnip greens etc, but it's energy intensive to cook them and takes time. I notice in the frozen food section there are ready to go stuff like spinach, greens etc. Are they as good or close to fresh cooked nutrition wise?

Thank you everyone for your help!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    WOW brother, your sodium is WAY out of control! Most doctors/trainers recommend staying at 1500mg/day or less. That raman you ate was over 2000/mg alone! All that sodium = water retention.

But in regards to your OP... your metabolism is shutting down or has shut down already. Remember to think of your body as an engine... no fuel = stops working. You need to keep it stoked with 5-6 small meals throughout the day. I noticed you seem to have the same eating pattern I did. My doctor called it the "corporate binge". No breakfast, fast small lunch, then gorge on dinner right before going to bed. Bad mojo man... bad mojo. When your metabolism shuts down... you will not feel hungry. It's how our bodies cope with what it thinks is 'starvation mode'.

TIPS:

• EAT MORE FREQUENTLY! You should have 5-6 small "grazing" meals throughout the day. More if you exercise heavily.
    • Eat within 1 hour of waking up. No excuses. This starts the engine for the day.
    • Try eating clean for two weeks. You'd be surprised how much better you'll feel.
    • Drink more water. For your weight you should be drinking 14 glasses/day. ((weight / 2) / 8) = cups of water per day (8 cups minimum)

Once your metabolism wakes up again you will start having hunger pangs again, but if you eat regularly, you should only have then when you wake up in the morning.

Hope this helps.

How is his metabolism shutting down? - he has only been on a calorie deficit for a few weeks. And your metabolism does not shut down until you are dead and really has nothing to do with hunger signals. The context you are using starvation mode in is totally wrong. Your metabolism isn't even impacted for 72 hours. There is nothing rev up, kick start or stoke.

There is no reason to eat multiple times a day unless that helps with energy or with adherence. There is no engine to start and eating early has no impact on your metabolism versus eating later, calories and macros being constant. It may be beneficial to the OP to get enough food in but it has nothing to do with your metabolism.

Regarding drinking water - there is no science behind your suggestion. You only need to pay attention to thirst and to pee color.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

TIPS:

Hope this helps.

How is his metabolism shutting down? - he has only been on a calorie deficit for a few weeks. And your metabolism does not shut down until you are dead and really has nothing to do with hunger signals. The context you are using starvation mode in is totally wrong. Your metabolism isn't even impacted for 72 hours. There is nothing rev up, kick start or stoke.

There is no reason to eat multiple times a day unless that helps with energy or with adherence. There is no engine to start and eating early has no impact on your metabolism versus eating later, calories and macros being constant. It may be beneficial to the OP to get enough food in but it has nothing to do with your metabolism.

Regarding drinking water - there is no science behind your suggestion. You only need to pay attention to thirst and to pee color.

What Sara has said is correct. Other than the bit about sodium, the balance of that post is total myth. It may have helped that poster with compliance but there is no metabolic advantage to meal frequency or timing whatsoever. You haven't been eating in a deficit long enough for adaptive thermogenesis to be a factor at all. Your metabolism is working just fine and there is no need to wake it up or bring it back from the dead! lol

Edited to add: Are you not completely logging your intake? There are some days that your intake is very low. If you are logging it all, you should set a reasonable goal of, say, 1 lb per week and then eat to that target. Undereating substantially over the long terms can have adverse effects.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

So, assuming my metabolism is slow, or shut down, how long does it take to get it back on track? days,weeks?

You are fine, your metabolism is fine - just eat to a reasonable calorie deficit going forward. Eat more regularly/more calorie dense foods if that helps.
  • tobnrn
    tobnrn Posts: 477 Member
    Options

TIPS:

Hope this helps.

Say what. So much wrong information. Meal timing is irrelevant. His metabolism isn't broken after 2 weeks. 1500mg sodium restriction is given to kidney patients.
  • ynotcycle
    ynotcycle Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I really appreciate the depth of knowledge here, I am sure glad I found this site/app. You guys rock!

I was wondering about the water thing as I am only ever thirsty midway through my rides and after. I don't like to feel like my gut is a water balloon ha. Pee is clear unless I eat a multi, then it's a little yellow. Sorry for the TMI lol

Does anyone know if Endomondo is accurate about cal burn? I've referenced my pace and intensity to calorie calulators on the net and they all seem to be a couple hundred under Endomondos assumption about cals burned. It is still a handy tool for automagically tracking my rides.
  • tobnrn
    tobnrn Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I really appreciate the depth of knowledge here, I am sure glad I found this site/app. You guys rock!

I was wondering about the water thing as I am only ever thirsty midway through my rides and after. I don't like to feel like my gut is a water balloon ha. Pee is clear unless I eat a multi, then it's a little yellow. Sorry for the TMI lol

Does anyone know if Endomondo is accurate about cal burn? I've referenced my pace and intensity to calorie calulators on the net and they all seem to be a couple hundred under Endomondos assumption about cals burned. It is still a handy tool for automagically tracking my rides.

Endomondo is pretty close with my running & hiking. Its off on my mountain trail runs.

As far as hydration as long as your urine is a very light yellow you are fine. You don't want it colorless or dark.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Take Sara's advice, she hit it perfectly. Meal timing and frequency is an old myth, total calories are the only thing that impacts your metabolism, not how often you eat. Basically what happens, you eat too few calories, your body suppresses ghrelin (the hormone that tells you you're hungry,) and leptin (the hormone that tells you you're full) rises. When this happens, you stop feeling hungry. Just boost your calories in whatever way you want (more meals, bigger meals, however) and your hormones should reset in a couple weeks. Until then, get used to eating when not hungry. Eating too few calories is just as dangerous as eating too many.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    I've found Endomondo to be decently accurate on runs and walks but way off on biking.
  • likemeinvisible
    Options

Get an HRM, it's hard to tell the amount of effort you are putting when cycling as it relies mostly on wind direction and slope. Drink BEFORE you are thirsty, when you're thirsty it's too late. If your pee is clear you're doing well. I remember feeling the weight of my bottles after an hour of ride, I would carry 2 full bottles but wouldn't take a sip :)
    As to your original question, I looked at your diary and you are eating enough. I wouldn't worry until you reach 6% BF.
  • chanellenoble
    chanellenoble Posts: 37 Member
    Options

[/quote]

Whether there is no science behind it or not, it worked for me and it would be worth a try for any one who isn't feeling hungry through out the day. I got the advice to eat as soon as I wake up from my dietitian. I never used to feel hungry in the mornings, and only ever ate at dinner, but ever since I started eating breakfast, I have felt hungry through out the day, have had more energy and have lost weight.
  • CarmenLynn75
    CarmenLynn75 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I've had this happen too.. I'll be at like 798 cals for the day.. but it's because I've eaten ALOT of food- just healthy, fibre/protein filled foods. I usually make up my day plan of meals in the morning, and I don't always subtract what I dont eat, but yea.. I hear ya. I allow myself a big glass of 1%milk or a glass of cranberry cocktail on those days :)