I FELL OFF THE WAGON...

Options
HOLIDAYS + STRESS + SHOPPING + EATING OUT = I fell off the wagon. (ANYONE ELSE?) :blushing:

I already gained some of my weight back...UGH!

GETTING BACK ON THE WAGON!

Replies

• kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    Okay well the biggest thing to remember is that unless you want to gain it all back, there is no wagon. Once you realize there's no wagon, every day is just another day and there is no right or wrong, only a spectrum of choices. Some lead to a more healthy life style than others. But they build or fall apart incrementally, so each day is but a small piece in the context of a life well-lived or a life unrealized.:smile: So just make a plan for tomorrow and burn the wagon.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Get back on!
  • kgb6days
    kgb6days Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    Yep - it happens. I've done the same thing and gained 4 lbs back. I've found it's true that you cannot out exercise a bad diet. I'm back at it myself. We can do this!
  • albelite
    albelite Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel.....I lost 9 stone and put 4 back on over the last couple of years but since coming on here I am determined to get the 4 stone back off and another 4 to go with it so I have a long journey ahead of me but hoping to get there, 14 lb gone in 12 days now, add me if you want a friend as new to this site :) Sue
  • groomchick
    groomchick Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Okay well the biggest thing to remember is that unless you want to gain it all back, there is no wagon. Once you realize there's no wagon, every day is just another day and there is no right or wrong, only a spectrum of choices. Some lead to a more healthy life style than others. But they build or fall apart incrementally, so each day is but a small piece in the context of a life well-lived or a life unrealized.:smile: So just make a plan for tomorrow and burn the wagon.

Well said!!!
  • jerbear1962
    jerbear1962 Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    OK you're back on the wagon, and you will have those days. I do my best to only have one bad meal if I really, really need something. Then on my next meal get back on track and do what needs to be done. Don't let outside things upset your plan, there will always be things in life and we can overcome. Good luck...
  • TeresaWash
    Options
    If I eat somehting.... not so healthy, so be it. I try not to let it continue thru the whole day and turn into a week. I think it's fine to go out to eat and have something not exactly healthy. Or eat a couple of Christmas Cookies. It took me a while to realize just because I had 2 cookies and "fell off the wagon" doesn't give me licence to eat crap the rest of the day. I still struggle with that but I try really hard not to get derailed by thngs like that cuz they can snowball.

Good Luck!
  • poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    It's alot about will power! I was recently at a job site where for yeas i would go to the mcdonalds for a restroom break and get an egg mcmuffing, hasbrown and coffee. I went on for the restroom break and thought "just one mcmuffin?" It was all ic ould do to make myself walk out the door! But I did and felt a renewed sense of direction.

Simple phrase: Just DON'T do it!!! And if you do don't feel guilty we all do it once in a while. Just get back to the spot you were in before you did it and chalk it up to being human. Hope I helped ya!
  • MzBeckie
    MzBeckie Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    So have I. Before the holidays but I'm restarting my healthy eating. Came back to mfp for motivation. You can do it just take a day at a time & dont dwell too much on what you gained back. Concentrate on getting back on track.
  • CindyBlakeGoble
    CindyBlakeGoble Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Oh yes i fell off too.but just got up and kept going...dont stress about it just dust yourself off and keep going..:wink:
  • NorseMaiden
    NorseMaiden Posts: 95 Member
    Options

Absolutely this!! It's a lifestyle not a diet...every single day is a new day so forget yesterday and concentrate on tomorrow.
  • Alierob
    Alierob Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Yes, I did... It happens. Things will always come up that may derail us for some time. As long you acknowldege what caused you to fall off the wagon and are ready to jump back on ... you will be successful!
  • JMJ1983
    JMJ1983 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Well better get up and run so the wagon doesn't back up and hit you again. In the grand scheme of life, it's just a blip on the radar. Pick yourself up and keep going. You have two choices, either to keep going the route you did since you "fell off the wagon" or dust yourself off and keep going the direction you want to go.
  • Cranktastic
    Cranktastic Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    Ow!
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    The good thing about getting off the wagon, is it's easy to get back on.
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    I hope you were wearing you helmet.

Sorry I really didn't read past the subject.
  • Madux1818
    Madux1818 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting this, I thought I was the only one. Starting this morning you bet I'm getting back on! I'm in this to see it through. I have a picture of a healthy and fit me in my mind, and 2013 is the year I achieve it!!!!
  • Madux1818
    Madux1818 Posts: 307 Member
    Options

YESSSSS!!!!!!!
  • MsDover
    MsDover Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I hate to call it "falling off the wagon"... one dietary faux pas doesn't constitute a failure. We ALL veer off the path from time to time. In the past, I made the mistake of saying well... I screwed up today.... I'll start fresh again tomorrow, and then proceed to pig out for the rest of the day because of that one slip up. If you screw up, acknowledge it and then get immediately back on track. Don't say you'll just pick it up tomorrow... or next week... or after the holidays. That's giving yourself permission to build on that one tiny slip up and make it into a big, steaming pile of slip ups!

Some people make the conscious decision to cut themselves some slack during the holidays because it IS a time of temptation for those of us who have food issues. That's ok, within limits. You can't give yourself carte blanche and just go crazy or you'll undo all the good you've done. It's VERY hard to get back on track when you've veered too far off. What I do is say, I'm going to Event "A" tonight (and I actually AM doing that!) and I will allow myself say, 150 extra calories. That's a cookie or two, depending on the size. I won't go over that. I will feel ok that I've stayed within the boundaries I've set up for myself and at the same time I won't feel deprived.

Good luck! We're all in this together!
  • wibutterflymagic
    wibutterflymagic Posts: 788 Member
    Options

Love this analogy! So true.